Sound problem solved

#1 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:28 am

Maybe most of you are aware of this, but I post this in case its helpful to newer members of our hobby. Several years ago I bought a 3 part feature, the sound on the first part was not clear, the other two parts were fine. I thought at first I had used too much lubricant and ran the film trough a dry cloth, but it made no difference. Another time I would run the film and it was OK.

More recently, about a year ago I bought another 3 part feature. Same problem with the first part, you could hardly distinguish what was being said. I thought at first it must be a fault with this particular print, but as it was 65 years old, wouldn't this have been returned to the lab?. If it was a TV print it would have been impossible to show it. I tried running the projector backwards then forwards to see if that helped, no; then I pressed the loop restorer several times, that made no difference. The white leader was old but looked to be in perfect condition. I didn't want to return the film as faulty as it had been one I had wanted for some years, but in it's present state I could only watch it myself.

Something gave me the idea to replace the leader, and if it made no difference, I could put the old leader back; so I added about 6 feet of new leader, threaded the film, and Bingo, perfect sound. So now I have one other film to sort out before I next project it.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Eivind Mork
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

RE: Sound problem solved

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:37 pm

Longer leader solved it you mean? Would never entered my mind ... Nice to know, thanks

Robert Crewdson likes this
Robert Crewdson sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:59 pm

It was brand new leader. The instruction manual only says use the system restorer for bad sound.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#4 by Clyde Miles , Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:13 pm

rob, sounds like slack film round the sound drum.pressing the restorer returns everything to
as it should when auto threaded. but yes, allways make sure you have good leader, without
splces in it.

Robert Crewdson sais Thank You!

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:19 pm

Yes, you're correct there Miles. I don't know why the loop restorer didn't help, but it''s all sorted

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#6 by Eivind Mork , Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:55 pm

I would never had thought about it!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405