Not too happy to receive this, FIXED & FINE

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:28 pm

You may recall my previous thread regarding a 16mm copy og the last episode of Doctor at Large, A situation full of promise ( broadcast12 September 1971).
On first glance it seemed a doomed print, fellow collector Hugh Scott emailed with some sound advice. It was purchased as a present for my Brother, to send it back would, (as usual) put me out of pocket, to bin it would have been a waste of money and of course, the loss of another film.
The advice was simple, and from a man of many years experience with 16mm.
I gently brushed off al loose mould, i gave the film three passes with different cleaners. The first was Isopropyl Alcohol, the cloth, (after many turns) was black! After a few days to dry out another go with filmguard, the cloth was black, but very much less dense. A few days later again, a third and final clean with Hughes own brand, the cloth was still a bit dirty but nothing like before. Then a rewind through a cotton hanky to remove excess and again, the last of the crap. Now it looked like a film. I then dropped it into a card box, at the bottom of the box was two camphor tablets as supplied by Hugh. After some time left to work it was time for a viewing.
The results were very good, thankfully the sound was not affected by the mould. It's the first time i've seem a TV logo at the start, LW (London Weekend) and the can states, telerecording b/w positive master print, TX Date 12/1971. This was the very last episode and was actually in colour so not too sure how this all worked, hopefully someone may be able to explain. Always interested in this sort of stuff
Thank you Hugh
Mind you, it still sucks that it was sent out in this condition!!

This episode, The appointment of a senior house surgeon on the Dean's firm doesn't go smoothly when the panel (Upton, Collier and Bingham) are faced with an unexpected candidate. The presence of an American registrar, Rick Harley (Richard Pendrey), sows more confusion. With Nosher Powell (a labourer in Outpatients), Ralph Michael (the Dean), Joan Ingram (his wife), Esta Charkham (the Dean's daughter), and job applicants John Baddeley as Dr McDougall, and – Tessa Wyatt (Nicky Barrington).

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 12.08.2020 | Top

RE: Not too happy to receive this, FIXED & FINE

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:13 pm

It looks very good, I used to watch all the Dr Episodes. Don't know why they would have made a B&W copy when it was filmed in colour.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Clyde Miles , Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:38 pm

had to be cost, and don't forget we was all still watching in b/w then

Robert Crewdson likes this

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#4 by Greg Perry , Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Tom,

Well, the print sure looks nice now. Did your original post have any pics of the film in its original nasty shape? I was away yesterday so I may have missed the "Before" version....

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Tom Photiou , Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:13 pm

Only of the reel of film itself. It was way to bad to put it through a projector. It had a fur coat

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 12.11.2020 | Top

Sound problem solved
B&H Model 625: Problem with projector

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor