TQ1 Serviced

#1 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:03 pm

Yesterday I received my TQ1 (655QE) back from Kevin Brown, safe and sound. What a relief. I presume the E refers to the projector having two lamp positions. I bought this about 5 years ago, and finally decided to get it serviced and a new worm. I had only run it once. I got it for less than £40 because it had no mains lead and therefore was untested. It looked almost new as you can see from the pics, but the outside appearance told you noting about the internal workings. The lever that you depress for auto threading didn't engage, and the take up stopped after 200 feet. I did not want to use it until it ad been fitted wit a new worm gear. As you can see from the pic, the worm gear is still in good condition, but from previous experience I know that they can go without warning, so not worth the risk. You see sellers advertising that the worm is in perfect shape; this means nothing. On my previous projector, I turned on to focus the light on the screen and the projector jammed because the worm cracked. Luckily it happened before I started threading a film. There was quite a lot of work to do on it, but Kevin kept to his original quote. You can see that this metal cog has a chip, and also some hairline cracks, which Kevin said would cause problems at a later date. It just shows how thorough he is in inspecting the inside. He did a brilliant job on upgrading the lamp to an ELC one, and the light output exceeds my expectations. I am very pleased to have this solid built projector modernised.

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Greg Perry and Tom Photiou

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

RE: TQ1 Serviced

#2 by Clyde Miles , Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:56 pm

good for many years to come rob.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk