Remo Williams .

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:45 pm

Remo Williams:The Adventure Begins original title also know as Remo :Unarmed and Dangerous.
Watched this today,film made in 1985 starring Fred Ward,Joel Grey and Wilford Brimley.Directed by Guy Hamilton.Tha story concerns an “officially “dead cop who returns as a specially trained assassin in the service of the US president.This is done with the help of a shadowy organisation and a Korean martial arts expert who have to track down and eliminate the bad guys selling dangerous equipment to the army.
All a bit far fetched none the less quite good fun if a little bit too long.
My print is an ex airline one ,on 4 x 600 with optical sound.I made the film up onto one large spool and my fumeo did the rest.Th the colour was reasonable considering the age of the print,perfectly watchable.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Eivind Mork, Robert Crewdson, Martin Dew, Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

RE: Remo Williams .

#2 by Greg Perry , Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Gwyn,

I really think the entire wall-sized screen which you have there would be fun to show a film on! ....Just thinking, how in today's world, there would be an outcry with having Joel Grey portraying an Asian martial arts master! His character reminds me a bit of Tony Randall portraying Dr. Lao in '7 Faces of Dr. Lao' from way back.....I remember seeing this in the theater, somehow the Remo Williams film franchise never developed...

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Gwyn Morgan, Martin Dew and Tom Photiou
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:34 pm

Greg,
Yes this film would never get made today not in the manner in which it was.It is a product of its time both in the way people are portrayed and the script was completely in PC .None the less it is what it is and as long as you don’t have any hang up over watching this type of film I say just sit back and enjoy.
Yes the wall makes a good screen and the only real issue I have is when using scope the picture could do with being wider the length across is great.Initially I had a screen on the wall,as the wall was not smooth being an attic conversion ,but I spent a day cleaning it and smoothing it,painting it and now I have a screen that fits all formats.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 275

#4 by Greg Perry , Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:55 pm

Hi Gwyn,

Yes, I agree...and I hope I did not come across as passing any judgment about the film or its use of Joel Grey as an Asian (who is quite talented and has an interesting story himself). I guess if you look at films from any decade in the past there were differences based on the current standards or culture of the time. Actually makes things a bit interesting to consider how life was at the time-- beyond the story within the film itself....

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:02 am

Hi Greg, they did this a lot in old films, when they could have chosen an actor from that racial background. In the British film 'The Yangtse Incident' (1949) they chose Akim Tamiroff to play a Chinaman.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#6 by Greg Perry , Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:13 pm

Yes, good point...I think Charlie Chan was played by a white Swede, Warner Oland, and then later by Scotsman Sidney Toler...and in 'You Only Live Twice'. Connery was made up to pass as a Japanese local...albeit not too convincingly in my opinion. I guess the list is quite long. I personally do not think this type of role portrayal across race is a big deal, as they are, in fact, actors pretending to be someone else for the particular film role, but it sure seems to be one of the current hot buttons (especially 'black face') in today's world.....

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Robert Crewdson

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:43 pm

hi Greg ,
no not at all as said it seems to have been the done thing " in the last century".What was ok then is not so now but we got to enjoy our films.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Robert Crewdson

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 275

#8 by Del Phillipson , Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:03 pm

I had this one back in the 90's, such a shame the airline prints didn't have very good colour.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

Hoppity Goes To Town
Blazing Saddles

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor