The Elf SL-2 has been returned

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:28 pm

Some months ago, (last lockdown) i managed to mess up my SL2,
As it became more noisey during films because i disturbed the adjustments of the pressure plate, i had no alternative but to send it off to Kevin Brown. During the time he had it the machine also had a few other items looked at.
The front sprocket had cracked. You may recall the images put up on here. Ideally, i was looking for a replacement part. One brand new was located but In the end due to a misfortune in delivery and a houseful of scum the part never arrived. (i wont go into details ). Kevin therefore made a repair on the original part. He also decided to remove, re grease/oil the cam tank, fitted a new spring on the take up arm and did a repair on the shuttle arm. Of course, he also had to re adjust the mess i made, resetting the pressure plate and also the side guides.
I only got it back today as someone i work with happens to commute weekly from the North East so i was very fortunate to be able to have it taken up and returned without it going through the courier's who, no matter what you may think, drop them and use there feet to slide them along. All being well this machine should now be back up to its full glory.
In this country we are lucky to have Kevin for the 16s and the master of all gauges Bill Parsons who, as we know, is now enjoying his well deserved retirement.

I've learnt now to leave things alone and just clean what should be cleaned

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Eivind Mork, Del Phillipson and Martin Dew

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 11.02.2020 | Top

RE: The Elf SL-2 has been returned

#2 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:45 pm

We are indeed fortunate to have Kevin Brown to look after our 16mm projectors.
I spoke to him only today and he told me he had just completed repairs to one of my Bell & Howell TQIII projectors.

Maurice

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Greg Perry and Del Phillipson
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:02 pm

Yes, we are very fortunate to have Kevin Brown. he currently has one of mine, which he will start on within the next fortnight, as he told me he was just finishing another TQ1. I had been planning to get this spare machine serviced for several years, but never got around to it. The fact that we are all getting older, plus the Coronavirus epidemic, made me think that if I keep procrastinating, I could leave it too long. There are very few places where you can get a cine projector serviced and Kevin is the best.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tom Photiou, Del Phillipson, Gwyn Morgan and Martin Dew

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#4 by Del Phillipson , Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:55 am

Nice one Tom, always great to have them back, should last you a few more years now

Robert Crewdson likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#5 by Martin Dew , Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:12 pm

This is all good information, thanks. I have a lovely new-looking TQIII 1698 which has booming sound but it needs a new worm gear, alas. I know where I have to take it!

Tom Photiou likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Not too happy to receive this!!
16mm bandsaw print HULK 650'

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor