ELMO 16CL

#1 by Paul Browning , Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:09 pm

Need a bit of help with this machine, if you have one. The rear roller on mine has 3 springs tensioning downwards, with the middle one having a lot of tension, so much so that it hold the last roller down so that its clamped against the back panel. This makes the roller almost impossible to turn freely when film is transported, I can lift it to resolve the issue, but I believe the tension is far too much. If the rollers not rotating it could scratch the film, not good. So I need a picture close up of this arrangement, and your opinion as to how much you have in tension, if you have this middle tension spring please, as mine looks to be far far too much. I think the spring has been changed at some point, but changed with one that is too much loading. Thanks gentleman......

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

RE: ELMO 16CL

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Paul ,
I have one of these and below are a couple of pics of the roller and the three springs

As you can see in the second pic I can move the roller fairly easily,I would say it does not give as much as the last sprung roller on my Eki ,but moves easily enough not to damage film and the roller turns no problem.
The middle spring does give on mine with the loops of the spring not stretched.
Hope this is of help I have an instruction manual but it’s only a generic photo for attaching the cover if you don’t have one.
I know the pics are small but perhaps expand them individually?
Regards. Gwyn

Paul Browning sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#3 by Paul Browning , Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:37 pm

Thanks Gwyn, so that looks like mine does, can you check that your roller moves freely in that closed down position ?, and in your opinion would the film tension lift this from this position ?, as mind does not do this, and this is my concern. Your centre spring looks the same, but mine could be thicker in coils than yours. I'm sure its there for keeping the film spooling up without sagging, but I can't believe it needs to be this much tension.....

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Paul,
Yes in the closed position it turns ok,and yes when you play forward the roller lifts and drops and settles to tension the film.The roller is always free to turn.I have three more pics the first shows film before play the second is play nearly engaged with take up taking the slack and the rear roller going up and down with the metal bracket to which the springs are attached moving up and down to accommodate the film passage and ensuring right tension.
The filial shot is the film going through and on mine the roller has dropped and the take up has enough tension not to allow the rear roller to go up and down.
Throughout the whole process the rear roller is turning and not straining the film.

To be fair in my view the tension is just right on mine as said the roller is turning and there is enough tension to move roller with little finger.But the roller is always turning
Hope this is ok

Paul Browning sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#5 by Paul Browning , Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Thanks Gwyn, I noticed the spring in question (middle one) on mine is connected to the right of your fitting in the corner of the angle, there is no hole in the arm to connect, so its a mod by elmo at some point. I wonder who has the later machine then Gwyn ?. I have tried to remove the pulley but the screw is so tight, it may get damaged in the process, I've squirted a bit of wd 40 to see if it free it up.............

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:38 pm

Paul,When I have a minute I will see if there's a date on the paperwork for the elmo.
Good luck freeing it up,trouble is some of the screws are put in so as never to come out.

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

Eiki SSL-0 Replacement Bumpers...
Bauer P5(PW5L6G1) 16mm Projector

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor