The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Iver 4 x 400ft (On 2 x 800ft)

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:57 pm

Last night we viewed our 40 year old print of the Iver 4 x 400ft version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. A film that needs no introduction regarding it story.
The first version i bought was the Derann 400ft version which was not a particularly good version. It cut out the first two murders all together but oddly enough did have one of the two short scenes cut from this Iver feature Version.
When i was 18 i wanted a feature version, i found the uncut 5 x 400ft version at a company in Scotland. They informed me that there was a sound problem but perhaps could get Iver to re-record it. I wrote to Iver to ask the question and it appeared that the library in Scotland got into a bit of bother for trying to sell it to me so that was abandoned. I borrowed the £99 for this feature version from a family member, (who was not amused at the reason i wanted the dosh). When i wrote again to Iver to make sure they had it they actually tried to tempt me toward there very full 400ft version which does include all five murders. No, i wanted the feature. It arrived very quickly and has been one of my most projected movies within the first ten years. We had many people around to watch it as at that time it was still banned by many chains and city Councils.
Quality is very good, image nice and sharp and thankfully, this one has held its colours very well, just a little fade creeping in there. It is now four years since i projected it and the colour doesn't appear to have suffered at all since then. The only thing about my print is that reel 4 has the slightest of sync problem. Iver refused to re record it as they claimed i shortened the leader, this was bollocks as all i did was clip it for threading. They wouldn't have got away with that kind of poor service today. Luckily it is literally only a few frames, as the reel is 90% balling and screaming it is only noticed in one or two places. Most audiences dont even notice it.
A modern classic which i think people either love or hate. A film that cost 300,000 to make, shot on 16mm and the makers ripped off by Bryanston Pictures. This one opens with the American "R" Restricted rating.
With so many dozens of viewings, this one again shows how not all Elmo 1200HD's are notorious for scratching, look after your machine and your machine will look after your films
I have kept going to sell it on many times over but each i time i view it i keep putting it off. This viewing is no exception.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 07.09.2020 | Top

RE: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Iver 4 x 400ft (On 2 x 800ft)

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:09 pm

Good looking print there Tom.Must admit this is not a film I have ever taken to as you say love it or hate it, I guess I’m not into this one.Its obviously a very popular film though as any version I see gets snapped up right away and they don’t go cheap.
Hope you had a good nights sleep 😁

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#3 by Paul Browning , Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:56 pm

Inspired by a real life ghoul Ed gein, who actually exhumed bodies from his local graveyard (including his own mother) and removed skin and body parts and kept them under the bed !!!!!, as we say in the UK, " Nowt stranger than folk " . When filming this at the location, the heat on the day was so much in the house that the fake body parts actually melted and gave off toxic gas, which made some of the actors violently sick on a daily basis, but tobe hooper insisted they carry on filming , how gross is it that..................

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#4 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:05 pm

No health and safety in those days Paul

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 07.11.2020 | Top

The Sweeney, "I want the Man" 2 x 600ft spools
The Third Man. Full Feature.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor