Sync a film

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:47 pm

I saw this on another site and to be honest the idea of doing this has never crossed my mind so I was wondering if anyone on here has done it or considered ever doing it.
The sync in question is a film ,I assume can be 16mm or 8mm,in a foreign language to yours which you show as a complete film on long play and you sync it with the dvd to get the language you require ,obviously in my case English.So for argument sake I have a French film with no subtitles plus a dvd with English language on and play both at the same time and get a film in English.
Yes I know I could just watch the dvd.
I am aware that some do re-record their super8 soundtracks,so I guess this would be more appropriate for 16mm.
I can also see the problems,you would need a perfect print no missing frames etc but from reading the comments elsewhere people do this,so I was wondering as before ,anyone done it?

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

RE: Sync a film

#2 by Greg Perry , Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:31 am

Hi Gwyn,

This is not something I have tried myself, but have thought about doing it, as one feature I have is in German. I suppose if you ran a few test runs to insure you didn't lose synchronicity between the film and the DVD soundtrack source, it would be easy enough. I would guess it would be very difficult to 'catch-up' or ' slow-down' the DVD to re-sync on the fly without making a huge mess out of the presentation? Worth a try though for a foreign language optical 16mm film where you couldn't re-record it like on Super 8 magnetic.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Erik Schoolcraft , Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:52 am

Also have a feature in German that I've been wanting to rerecord the soundtrack on but when you are looking at a DVD soundtrack you have to understand that the film may be edited differently than the film version. It may not line up at all. I have a copy of Any Given Sunday on 16mm that is in no way the same edit as the video version. It would never line up with the video version since the film is much longer on 16mm than on video. Same is true with my 35mm copy of League of Extrodanairy Gentelmen since two scenes were cut out. Also have the 110min version of Psycho on reg 8 sound and the video version cut it down to 90 mins. I would compare the two releases on film and what you are wanting to sync or transfer first before doing any damage to the print by erasing the original track or trying to explain to your audience why they are out of sync.

Erik Schoolcraft  
Erik Schoolcraft
Date registered 08.16.2018
ThankYou 18

#4 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:47 am

Interesting Erik; why are digital releases cut down?

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Added to my collection
Scope bracket

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor