Star Wars: Wonder what this is?

#1 by Greg Perry , Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:25 am

This is interesting and apparently there are a few bidders that are curious as to what this could be.....

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/70443392

Not just containers, as there is film in at least one of them. It would be fun to see if this is a rare bit of film, or if it is simply film cans with Star Wars markings...

We'll probably never know....

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: Star Wars: Wonder what this is?

#2 by Greg Perry , Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:54 pm

This Star Wars film (above link) had 23 bids and sold for $2,123.00......But of course who knows if the winning bidder will actually pay. Just goes to show the length some collectors will go for an item.....

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:24 pm

Greg, if you find out what’s in the tins let us know on here.I can’t get the link to open here.Silly money though still might be something special 😁📽

Looking for Reel1 “SERPICO”

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#4 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:35 am

I also could not open the link. Perhaps Greg could tell us about the sale.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#5 by Greg Perry , Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Hello Maurice and Gwynn,

I appreciate you letting me know the link wouldn't work for you. Not sure why it wouldn't, but I took some screen caps of the photos in the listing to share here.

Basically, it looks like two small film cans with Star Wars production markings. No images of the actual film frames, nor even verification the films inside are actually "Star Wars" footage of any type. So it was obviously a blind gamble to bid on these with such little info to go on. I suspect if it isn't what was hoped for by the buyer, he/she will return it to Goodwill.

For those not familiar, the seller is the online store for "Goodwill Industries" which is a nationwide network of local charity thrift stores. Perhaps they are in the UK and other countries, but essentially people donate their used goods to the local Goodwill store and these are resold at the physical store--typically at low cost, or listed online through "shopgoodwill.com" as these two items were. I have found a few bargain items such as projectors, lenses, and 16mm and Super 8 films via the online store, but sometimes prices are bid up to excess, as we have here.

Anyway, here are some pics:

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

Last edited 06.24.2019 | Top

#6 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Thank you, Greg.
It seems doubtful that anyone paying $2,123.00 would deposit them back to Goodwill if the contents were not as expected. No doubt they will turn up on eBay.
We have many charity shops on our High Streets in the UK. I believe that Oxfam sells on-line.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#7 by Greg Perry , Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:34 pm

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see it on ebay at some point. I meant to say, return for a refund to Goodwill--although that may not even be possible.
An awful lot of money for a small spool (reel) or two of film....I am not even sure "insane" is the right word for this......

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:44 pm

Thanks Greg for your post showing the photos and description of the film.Personally I would not touch that with a barge pole still would be interesting to know the outcome for that money.
Thanks📽

Looking for Reel1 “SERPICO”

Greg Perry likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

Bentleyfilms, Ltd
Humidity Pad by Cinepro Limited, London England

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor