“Is 16mm new”??

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:25 pm

Today I had an interesting conversation.I had occasion to ring PayPal regarding an issue concerning a 16mm film.Having sorted the issue was about to put phone down whe the conversation went something like this.....
PayPal man”I-see the item we were discussing was a 16mm film is the projectors for this film something new,where do you get the films?
Me” No the the films and projectors have been around for a while now in fact years back to early last century “
PP Man” oh I was a trainee projectionist for Ciniworld I was learning the 35mm projectors bit when they went digital and sacked me.I saw
your film and was wondering what this 16mm film was nobody ever told me about it”
I then spent a few minutes enlightening the young man to this strange hobby and he says he is going to look into it.Maybe a convert away from the dark side into the light.
Strange who you end up on the phone to.......

Looking for Reel1 “SERPICO”

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Don Cunningham, David Alligan and Del Phillipson

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

RE: “Is 16mm new”??

#2 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Blimy, i would have thought that person would have had an idea. I keep forgetting how people half my age have absolutely no idea at all what a real film or projector is.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Greg Perry, Don Cunningham and David Alligan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:44 am

When I worked in 35mm cinemas my fellow projectionists thought it quite amusing that I would be going home to use my 16mm equipment.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#4 by Don Cunningham , Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:23 pm

When I had my single 35mm print run at a local venue with 35mm projection capabilities, the head projectionist for the area (younger than I) and I talked about collecting and his experience with the hobby when he was building the print for the platter. Interesting enough, he wasn't into 16mm, but collected 35mm, though mostly trailers. Perhaps it is because that is what he worked with and had more access to?

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and David Alligan

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#5 by Maurice Leakey , Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:35 pm

At one time trailers were never returned but kept and eventually thrown away. It was only when the multiplexes appeared with many screens that copies of trailers were supplied for each screen.
It was then that they had to be returned after use.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Humidity Pad by Cinepro Limited, London England

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor