The Fade is creeping in now.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:08 pm

Having just moved on a few prints in order to raise dosh for a couple of decent 16 or 8mm features we have been assessing the collection. While none of us ever expect our films to last forever one cant help noticing how every other film advertised for sale now has, "slight fade" "light hue" or "faded". It is of course inevitable and i suspect for some on both forum channels , this is now a boring subject.
The only reason i bring this up tonight is looking through the collection and viewing some films bring much less joy to the viewing when the dark scenes have that awful hue to them.

I do fully understand some chaps are more than happy to view faded or fading movies, with or without scratches, but the one that really bought it home was She wore a yellow Ribbon, 4 x 400ft colour sound. This was one of my Brothers all time favourites and bought around 30 years ago or more, unfortunately, the last time he viewed it he rang me up to say, "sell she wore a yellow ribbon for me, i just watched it and really didn't enjoy it this time". For me this was a bit of a shock as it really is one his favourite John Wayne Westerns. I bought it to my house to view it to get the screen shots for both the review on here and the sale of it on fleabay, Like all fading films we remembered this having such superb vibrant colours and it was such a shame to see the pinky fade setting in it. Also of course Assault on precinct 13, again, a film set a night for the most part so the red hue began to make it a less enjoyable view. Two nights ago i watched the projected disc feature fully restored version and while the whole experience of the projection is lost, to see this film with such a good image with all the colours and contrast, (plus the extra hour and a bit) was actually pretty darn good, however, i am pleased it went to another collector who is more than happy with it and to know it will continue to give another collector some pleasure for years to come.

Meanwhile, watching films and remembering how they use to be, is no longer an option for us and we will continue to sell to buy, hopefully, for every 10 we sell we will replace it with one decent quality movie. As for watching a red movie, i think i would rather go b/w or at least get some cash back for new buys.
The next decade will see much fewer good second hand copies of movies and equipment i thinks.

Looking for, Joe Kidd / The Outlaw Josey Wales on 16mm. Good prints only.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Martin Dew and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 08.30.2018 | Top

RE: The Fade is creeping in now.

#2 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:31 pm

Tom, I couldn’t agree with you more, and you took the words right out of my mouth!

Faded/fading prints have taken much of the joy out of film collecting for me after over 45 years in the hobby. Fade is way too prevalent in the market these days, as evidenced by the majority of posted stills from prints. Hence the reason that I only buy black and white prints when I do buy.

I agree that watching a faded print in my collection leaves me with the unavoidable feeling of “what once was”, and that’s not an enjoyable experience for me. I’m not getting any younger, and there are now other alternatives to screen full-blown spectacular color movies in the home cinema. Otherwise, to me, it’s simply “format for the sake of a format”, regardless of quality. To each his/her own, but personally I’ve never understand that way of thinking.

I’ve been giving away a lot of my films that are faded/fading in the hopes that others might find a use for them. But to view a faded print leaves me no joy, but simply an indicator of what it used to be, and an indicator that it’s time to move on.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Martin Dew
Mats Abelli does not like this!
John Hourigan
Last edited Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:32 pm | Top

#3 by Tom Photiou , Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:35 pm

this is where, (for us), the 16mm has been a bit of a saviour, although we wont have too many of these, the ones we have are, in some cases, quite spectacular, we just have to be very choosy with what we buy.

Looking for, Joe Kidd / The Outlaw Josey Wales on 16mm. Good prints only.

Del Phillipson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#4 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:44 pm

Yes, while my collection is/was primarily Super 8, I did have some 16mm, but those were turning as well. I’ve dumped enough money into prints over the last 45-plus years that I now want to enjoy screening quality images, regardless of format, as I near retirement age and beyond. 🙂

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Tom Photiou
John Hourigan

#5 by Martin Dew , Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:23 am

Totally agree, Tom. Even though I've only been back in the hobby a couple of years, red prints irritate me and, I think, increase the temperature in the dark room! Must be psychological. I've said it before here, but I'd far rather settle for scratched prints with good colour than blemish-free red prints. For me, it's almost exclusively Walton and Derann shorts that are keeping me engaged.

Tom Photiou likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#6 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:04 am

Agree Martin — and the prevalence of faded prints, as well as decades-old treasured “color” prints in my collection that are now hopelessly faded, accelerated my adoption of other screening technologies in my home cinema. It’s just now a undeniable reality and a fact of life in our hobby, particularly given the age of prints out there, and very few, if any, legitimate new releases being produced.

It’s pushed me to liquidate faded prints, and it’s ultimately what drove me to now only purchase black and white prints, straight-up. 🙂

Martin Dew likes this
John Hourigan
Last edited Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:21 am | Top

#7 by Don Cunningham , Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:39 pm

I have always been picky when it comes to what I purchase, thus I don't have a large collection like many others. The films I do get and wish to get are from the time frame and likely on the stock that fades, EASTMAN. So, I already expect an amount of fading (even complete) when I look. To be able to have a print of a film favorite is a positive in MY mind. Does it hamper my enjoyment, not so much. There are other ways of watching movies, but I watch films for that special enjoyment (faded or not).

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Tom Photiou

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:17 pm

I have to agree with all that has been said on this post and as in previous post some while back i said I was going through my prints this summer.Mission accomplished yesterday"The ~Owl and the Pussycat" was the last to be seen too.Not the best of colour but still not gone red and no VS so it stays,which is more than a few others that have gone in the bin.Rightly or wrongly that was my decision to get rid of them but I now have what I want.
This nonsense on fleebay about not being able to view or not knowing titles condition etc,is it that difficult to look at a few feet at least to get some idea.Well I for one will now only buy the best I can if the price is write.I further think that the prices being sought are over the top.Yes I know supply and demand well i no longer subscribe to that as there is that shiney disc that as Tom says has the film and more.
Yes I like the hobby but that to me is what it now is a hobby.I like to watch films in all fromats regardless,and anyway some of the foreign films that I like are only availble on dvd.There I said it(dvd)!!
Im afraid the fade is creeping in in more ways than one.
Off to a meeting that sounds like the end of my projecting days as the money has run out,more of that later when I know more.

Martin Dew likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#9 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:13 pm

Well said, Gwyn — I believe the hobby is beyond an inflection point as it relates to “color” prints. I enjoy screening pursuits too much to be saddled with inferior, warm/faded picture quality, regardless of format.

Also, given all the horror stories regarding eBay, I’m not sure why collectors keep going there given all the related gripes I continue to read here and elsewhere. In our everyday lives, we wouldn’t continue to frequent businesses that continually provide lower-than-expected quality, right? Common sense should prevail over ersatz desperation to get a title/film print. One thing is sure — the odds are very high that a “color” Super 8 print purchased from eBay will be suffering from some degree of fade (which is one of the reasons I stopped purchasing from eBay years ago).

Gwyn Morgan likes this
John Hourigan
Last edited Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:14 pm | Top

#10 by Martin Dew , Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:32 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

It's so easy to post a few screenshots on eBay. Why don't more people do it? I always do, plus I start all my auctions at 99p and let the market decide the value. I also always accept returns. I find that if you're transparent, you get doubly rewarded anyway.

Tom Photiou likes this

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#11 by David Skillern , Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:56 pm

It is important to post pictures on ebay if you are going to sell the prints you want to move on. As lets be honest nobody wants to get burned in this hobby. As far as faded prints go - I have some that are starting to go - but as I go through my collection from September onwards I hope there won't be any red or pinky prints.

Martin Dew likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#12 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks John,I think now if you want to enjoy a film in the best possible way you have to move with the times.
In my book there is room for everything all formats,I like it all.
Could not agree more about a couple of screen shots ,even the film held up to a light or window would give a buyer some sort of guide.Yes there are good reputable dealers out there and as usual there is a few who make it worse for everyone.
Anyway for me it’s a great hobby one way or the other,and long may it continue.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#13 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:32 pm

Agree Gwyn — truer words have never been spoken. Plus, thank goodness time and technology marches on — if it didn’t, we’d all still be driving Model T Fords (or unable to participate in forums such as this one)! 😀

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
John Hourigan
Last edited Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:59 pm | Top

#14 by Martin Dew , Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:19 pm

Me too, Gwyn! I love my mono crackles from film and my clean Atmos from Blu-ray (sorry). Keep it all coming.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Tom Photiou

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#15 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:01 pm

Have to say I like the film,I don’t mind any more how I get to see it either.Yes it’s great to see a film in 70mm ,35mm,16mm,or even 8mm when it’s a good clean not faded print.Further I also like good sound,and one tends to forget when the earlier Dolby sound films were first introduced that the sound came from a silver disc synced to the film,so funny how it’s come full circle if you get my meaning.
Also I don’t have an ever deeper and deeper pocket to buy films which at my time of life will start to gather dust.The number of showings does not now justify the expense.
I know others will disagree with me and that’s fine ,each to his own I say .The next thing to go will be discs as some other way to watch films will come along.Some would say it’s here already with some of the systems available.
So maybe it’s not just reel film that’s fading .....just saying......
Anyone had the latest list from CHC somebody upset them regarding postage etc???

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#16 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:12 pm

All excellent points, Gwyn! Agree with you wholeheartedly. I long ago abandoned getting all worked up regarding the march of technology. I can’t honestly think of a better time to be in our screening hobby thanks to all of the options available to the home showman/woman today. Personally, after a hard week at the office, I look forward to Friday and/or Saturday night to either screen a new movie I haven’t yet seen, or revisit an “old friend” in terms of one of my favorite titles. Plus, the cornucopia of titles available is absolutely staggering, too, regardless of whether it’s physical media or “trying out” a title thanks to the very same technology that enables us to have this very forum.

I don’t view my hobby as a solitary pursuit. My home cinema has never been more active, with family and friends enjoying it all along with me. And isn’t that what’s it all about anyway? 🙂

Gwyn Morgan likes this
John Hourigan
Last edited Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:15 pm | Top

#17 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:41 pm

I think the problem with red prints lies with the prints that we bought new, and then discover that they have turned red. It happened to me with one colour digest and some B&W prints on colour stock. The film is not as we bought it and we feel it no longer exists. I haven't watched any of the 3 or 4 Super 8 prints that have turned red, but at the same time, I have purchased red prints in 16mm . I know they had colour at one time, but I never knew them then, only as they are now, and I have to say, I enjoy them just as much as any other film; in fact, some of them are among my favourites, and get more viewings than some of my perfect prints.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Laurel & Hardy on reels
Ever regret buying a title?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor