Heads up regarding illegal activity

#1 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:59 pm

Please know that there is an individual who is (very) publicly proclaiming that he’s striking and selling Super 8 prints struck from a copyrighted DVD source (!) of a Minions featurette. Not only is this highly illegal, but I have to wonder what legitimate film lab would touch this. Do not fall for this or attempt to purchase these illegal prints.

Anyone who thinks the studios aren’t watching or don’t care are sadly mistaken. In my job, which involves working with copyright laws, I’ve seen major rights holders go after far less. The hobby shouldn’t be so desperate for “new releases” as to resort to illegal means to do so.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Martin Dew and Don Cunningham
John Hourigan

RE: Heads up regarding illegal activity

#2 by Martin Dew , Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Well, even despite the legal ramifications, who'd want a) Minions on Super 8 and b) a transfer from a 480i DVD? The whole project sounds rubbish.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Iman Yahya

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#3 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Amazingly, the individual, “Andreas Chmielewski,” is also (publicly) proclaiming that Star Wars trailers are also in the works. For the same reasons stated in my original post — stay away from any and all of these.

(As just one example of how serious copyright is, within the past couple of years a YouTube link to a segment of the Super 8 print of Captain America was taken down at the request of the studio/rights holder. Doesn’t matter if it’s Super 8 or any other format, unauthorized copying AND selling of copyrighted works is illegal.)

John Hourigan
Last edited Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:31 pm | Top

#4 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Dare I say it,many releases over the years haven't exactly been legal,this isn't a surprise,Mark.

Mark Mander

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Are you 100% sure he has not asked for the rights do this?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#6 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:03 pm

Vidar, it’s my strong understanding that the global enforcement arm of the MPAA has been formally requested to look into this situation, as copying and selling unauthorized prints of a copyrighted work constitutes piracy.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
John Hourigan
Last edited Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:06 pm | Top

#7 by David Alligan , Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:49 am

What about all the illegal prints Derann done over the years and these inc full features The Fugitive, Thunderball, Return Of The Jedi Terminator 2 , Master & Commander and these were done at Rank Labs and not to mention all the trailers they done

David Alligan  
David Alligan
Date registered 07.11.2016
home: Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 07.26.2018 | Top

#8 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:33 am

David,

When Derann did there 'imports' it was a very different world concerning 8mm prints, there were still a few sources from around the world actively bringing out 8mm material, well I'm afraid that argument does not hold up any weight now. The studios know of Andec as being the only source output of 8mm films these days, and with very few new prints of any titles being struck because of the cost of new prints, anything out of the ordinary will raise flags, whether they can be bothereed to do anything is another question, it may be down to the individual studios affected, but you have to be very careful!

David Alligan sais Thank You!
Barry Attwood

#9 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:14 pm

(#7) Wow — if that indeed is the case, then I’m very disappointed in Derann, as they made a point in their catalogs, etc., to reference agreements they had with studios. Sad.

If a business believes it needs to resort to illegal means to either keep it alive or keep new product in the pipeline, then that business should indeed close up shop, as its day has rightfully passed. We all would expect the same of any other business, film-related or not.

John Hourigan
Last edited Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:15 pm | Top

#10 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:51 pm

John,

Most of Derann releases were via contracts with big companies, but if Derek saw an oppertunity to bring something out with a little less certainty to who owns the copyright (like many trailers) he would think hard about it, and in some cases he's make it an 'import', although he did re-print established negatives where copyright had been paid, but were not easily found in the U.K. like his Movieola titles were mostly Steel Valley Films re-prints, where originally you would have had to import them yourself, by re-using exsisting negatives a wider audience was made for those films. But as I said before, these were very different days to now, and yes you could get away with a lot more, as the emphasis was on 35mm and 16mm theatrical prints.

Barry Attwood

#11 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:07 pm

I thought that trailers from before a certain date did not have copyright?

I would say in respect to films on super 8 everyone has at least one release that is not official. Most trailers and commercial reels. I wouldn't buy one from a dvd source anyway.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#12 by Ian Partridge , Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Regarding Derann, I used to book films from them they distributed officially to film clubs and universities. There was no suggestion that copyright was ever ignored. They certainly charged enough for the hire, and I assume the correct fees were distributed to rights holders.

Ian

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Movie Projectors/Filmprojektoren book by Jurgen Lossau

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor