Question on Extreme Wide Angle Lens on Projector

#1 by Ian Partridge , Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:47 am

In 2016 I projected the16mm original cutting copy/work print of the late Walter Lassally's 'first documentary: Smith Our Friend' Shown for the first time in 70 years. https://ian-partridge.com/smith_our_friend.html

Future showings will have to be projected in another, off-topic, way because of the extreme fragility of the original (its an "art" film with many quick cuts and cement joins). New photo-chemical print out of my budget and I am not sure there is any laboratory left that contact prints black & white 16mm.

I have no knowledge of digital projectors but I had the chance to buy one from a recycling warehouse. It had been ceiling mounted so the Optoma model number was hidden by the bracket. Only a handful of hours use and lamp was new with no spots on the image and it had hdmi input suitable for next time projecting my hd transfer of 'Smith Our Friend.'

Here are my questions: The only manual lens adjustment was for focus and the throw was extremely short distance - a huge picture within four or five feet? The lens had no adjustment for picture size? The menu settings did not have any zoom facility. Was it made for something like a golf swing back projection or similar?

Finally, can I easily swap the unwanted fisheye lens assembly for another projector lens assembly that has a long throw?

Ian

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

RE: Question on Extreme Wide Angle Lens on Projector

#2 by Martin Dew , Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:54 am

Ian, I've just re-edited my message here as our moderators are rightly quite strict about promoting non-film topics, so I'd be happy to take this offline if I can be of help.

Robert Crewdson likes this
Ian Partridge sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Last edited 06.07.2018 | Top

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Do IMDB have this wrong, giving a running time of 15 minutes?

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#4 by Ian Partridge , Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:46 pm

Martin,

It looks like it was this one, an Optoma GT760A 720p Has Screen Size Range: 105-inches from 4 feet; 159-inches from 6 feet 3200 ANSI Lumens Contrast Ratio: 20,000:1; Keystone Correction: Yes, Lens Shift: No.
Has HDMI, two VGA-in, VGA-out, S-Video, composite video, audio-in (3.5mm), audio-out (3.5mm), RS-232C, USB-B

The large plastic ring round the lens is fixed. The size of picture is determined by the distanc of the projector to screen and you can only focus. I guess you could reduce the screen size via the projector menu? But this would lessen picture quality?

As far as I can see the projector would be in the audience line of sight? Back projection? Can it be Keystone adjusted for vertical if the unit was placed in front and underneath the screen?

Ian

Ian Partridge
ThankYou 16

#5 by Ian Partridge , Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:07 pm

Robert,

I think it was shot at silent speed not 24 fps. as they were young trainees working in a photo lab and making a budget documentary of the then desperate housing crisis. I varied the transfer speed on my SD transfer of the film so it could be slower than the 15 minutes given. I used a Fumeo portable for the public show as it has small sprocket wheels that can accommodate shrunken film and left a lot of spare loop at the top as it ran through to traverse the multiple joins and hand painted flash frames. Thankfully it went through OK on the day.

Ian

Ian Partridge
ThankYou 16

#6 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks Ian; terrible living conditions. Not a good way to treat someone who just returned from the war. This lab in London has a contact printer for 16mm: http://www.no-w-here.org.uk/index.php?cat=4&subcat=main

Ian Partridge likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 06.07.2018 | Top

#7 by Martin Dew , Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:23 pm

Ian, that unit only has vertical keystone +/-40 deg. and no horizontal keystone, meaning it has to be dead-on in the horizontal plain.

Unfortunately, there's no zoom function at all. That PJ was primarily designed for gaming (presumably in a bedroom) at 720p res, hence the fixed short throw. Seems like quite a nice projector though. Apparently the 'Cinema' mode has an okay calibration out of the box, but I don't think this unit will support critical viewing of filmed material.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#8 by Ian Partridge , Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Thankks Martin,

I am glad now I hesitated to buy it even for a song. Your advice is helpful to know. I have just acquired a 16mm print of Ken Loaches' Family Life with excellent colour, so might be able to
work this into a film showing.

Ian

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Robert Crewdson

Ian Partridge
ThankYou 16

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Film Inventory Survey: What do you use?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor