Kodak Long Life Stock.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri May 18, 2018 1:41 pm

I came across an article in 'The New Scientist' for February, 1981, which mentions a filmstock introduced by Kodak in 1979 called Eastmancolor LF. The LF standing for long life. Kodak predicted that a noticeable loss of Cyan would not occur within 500 years if stored at low temperature. The 'New Scientist' commented 'Unfortunately no one can be sure that the accelerated aging tests conducted by Kodak will hold good in real time over hundreds of years. Kodak replied in answer to comments from Martin Scorsese about fading that they made several different types of Eastman stock and 'If film makers like Scorsese use the correct film for the job in hand, and store it as recommemded, a colour image can last thousands of years without any noticable fading'.

Eastmancolor LF flm was discontinued in 1982 after only 3 years, and another version, LFSP was discontinued in 1983. I wonder why?

Robert Crewdson

RE: Kodak Long Life Stock.

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Probably costs to manufacture versus sales target / actual figures at a time when film was in decline.

The same reason as to why ultimately Super 8mm sound cartridges were discontinued at a later time.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 18, 2018 1:57 pm | Top

RE: Kodak Long Life Stock.

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri May 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Every Eastman print that you come across has fade to some extent. The last one I bought had a date code of 1982. I've never checked to see if they are different Eastman stocks. I think this was aimed at the professional cinema more than the home user.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Fri May 18, 2018 2:12 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Audiences?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor