Audiences?

#1 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 pm

I was wondering, for those of you who still do film shows, how do you find audiences to be in this day and age? That is, are audiences more or less demanding/critical in terms of their general expectations of overall presentation quality as it relates to picture/sound? Or are they simply taken by the projector as a means by which to watch a movie?

In my personal experience, I do far less film shows than I used to. Several reasons for that include, audiences are now “weaned” on new technology formats in terms of picture and sound, I have a finite number of films (as I want to avoid “reruns” with audiences), and the lack of any “legitimate” newer movies on Super 8 (as audiences aren’t only interested in the “older stuff”).

I think it’s been over five years since I put on a true film show. (However, I’ve had audiences, made up of family and friends, for movie nights via other screening technologies recently and over the past few years. These movie nights have proven quite popular.)

What’s been your experience? Thanks in advance!

The following members like this: John Armer, Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson
John Hourigan

RE: Audiences?

#2 by Mats Abelli , Thu May 17, 2018 9:36 pm

I haven´t had many screenings in my new home cinema yet. Usually I watch films together with other collectors or family. I plan to retire within 3 years or so. Then I hope that I can do some shows for friends and neighbours, not involved in the hobby. I have plenty of room for my guests. 22 seats. It will be reel film screening only. ( I don´t own a digitalprojectors ). I collect Standard 8, Super 8, 16 mm and 35 mm.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Del Phillipson

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#3 by John Armer , Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Good question John. I help run a film club and we show silent films every month. Up until this month the presentations have been on BD / DVD (sorry Vidar) but just this week we showed Clarence Brown's THE GOOSE WOMAN. I have a print and it is on std (regular) 8mm. My projector is a Bolex 18-5... a good projector but it's only a 50W bulb. I had done a trial run at the little cinema and figured that it would be OK as its very dark in there with the lights off so I thought I'd get away with the brightness issue.

Anyway, the audience of 10 absolutely loved the film and the presentation. I'd taken a lot of trouble to synch a really good soundtrack and the experience of the projector whirring away in the background seemed to add to the experience many thought. But I think most of them were taken with the film itself so it carried them along and any deficiencies of the 8mm print (it was a good sharp print with nice contrast), and the breaks when I changed the reels, were secondary to the story.

I wanted to show THE GOOSE WOMAN on film and as it's not available on a legitimate DVD I thought it was a perfect opportunity.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Del Phillipson and Stuart Reid
John Armer  
John Armer
Date registered 11.19.2016
ThankYou 18

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 pm

I only operate on real film to a guaranteed audience of one with real films and that audience is always just me.
I don't think I'd have too many problems getting an audience to enjoy any number of the films I have as quite a few are what are considered classics even if in modern day terms for the majority.

I have spoken with many a collector who have actual dedicated cinemas in their homes in this country and most of those have fully converted now to digital.
Many use it as a social gathering and do very well by getting an enthusiastic and packed appreciative audience on every occasion by all accounts.

Of course these days any decent digital set up can rival that of a local commercial cinema for quality of presentation to all but a professional maybe, so I'd imagine given the unlimited and truly spectacular results of projecting any movie from any era to these high standards for sound and vision, I would imagine for these guys offering their cinemas in such a charitable and sociable and welcoming manner, they must have no shortage of friends and takers of the kind invitations.

The same collectors used to do much the same using real film and film projectors on either Super 8mm or 16mm or both, but they tell me overall they prefer to be able to sit back with their audiences and simply just enjoy the show nowadays.
I suppose there are film lovers who love just the films and then other film lovers who love the entire paraphernalia associated with a real film show.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Del Phillipson likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu May 17, 2018 10:58 pm | Top

#5 by Tom Photiou , Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 pm

My Audience of very often myself, or once or twice a week with my Brother, I have a dedicated room but would stop short of calling it a cinema, it is a film room for me. My Mum has often watched movies with us and my Youngest Daughter of 23 years now loves all things retro. She has taken a real keen interest in the films and projectors and is now also enjoying movies with and quite often her boyfriend will also enjoy an evening of films.
We often use to do kids parties and up until around five years ago i did the anual ST Johns Ambulance Christmas party film show. Those kids, (and the parents) loved it. Everyone showed and interest in the projectors and would watch me setting up with a lot of interest. Unfortunatly, after my Kids left the organisation and that particular group ended that was to be our last Show.

Having said all that i do now have a lot of workmates who want to come around to view some, "old type" films as they call it. So there may be some new audiences to show off to. As for doing other shows, i would no longer wish to keep lugging the projectors around, setting up and dismantling back into the , re setting up at home etc, the age of the projectors is something i am aware of and as Bill got my main 1200HD like new again i would not want to jeopardise damaging any of it, therefore all film shows must now be in my film room where the set up is permanent.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 pm

Nowadays John, I usually watch films by myself, as my wife works long hours as a mobile carer. One day she came home for a short break while I was in the middle of watching a film, and she was very interested, even though it was a faded film. I have since shown her two features and she enjoyed both, saying it was just like the cinema. It took her back to her childhood, when an older brother borrowed/or hired a projector and put on a film show. She was fully satisfied with the image quality. I wouldn't be interested in putting on film shows for audiences.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Del Phillipson
Robert Crewdson

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu May 17, 2018 10:53 pm

I have my little club, but mostly the usual 3-4 people come. Hoping to do Karate Kid and High Road to China on Sunday, 16mm

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Del Phillipson, Tom Photiou and Michael Lattavo
David Ollerearnshaw does not like this!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#8 by Stuart Reid , Thu May 17, 2018 11:29 pm

I'd very much like to start a regular club down here on the south coast in a good size hall with blackout. Would there be anyone else on the south coast interested?

Del Phillipson likes this

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#9 by Del Phillipson , Fri May 18, 2018 10:12 am

If I lived closer Stuart you could count me in mate. But I'm like Andrew, my films are viewed mainly by just myself, I get family round now and again and they love a film show but I'd love to share the love of real film to more people.

Stuart Reid likes this

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#10 by Mats Abelli , Fri May 18, 2018 10:45 am

I live on the south coast, but unfortunately in Sweden. I hope that you can start a club Stuart. Good luck

The following members like this: Stuart Reid and Del Phillipson

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

Last edited 05.18.2018 | Top

#11 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri May 18, 2018 10:53 am

You're fortunate Mats, in that probably VS isn't encountered. It's usually known here through imported films.

Robert Crewdson

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Me too Stuart.
It is only geography which separates at least a merry band of three sadly.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Stuart Reid and Del Phillipson
Andrew Woodcock

#13 by Mats Abelli , Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Robert! VS is not common here, but some prints get it. I have only one VS film, and it don´t smell that bad. It´s not warped. The Scandinavian climate seems to be good for the films. Through the years I have imported prints from USA, GB, Holland, Italy and Australia, but have never recieved any VS films.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
How to embed or attach an image within a PM?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor