New Film rewinders soon in production again!

#1 by Edwin van Eck , Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:52 pm

I love to work with good manual rewinders for cleaning / editing 8mm / 9,5 mm / 16mm films.
The problems is that good rewinders are harder to get.

That why we have decided to produce good manual rewinders again!
We have been working on this for the last half year and know we are very satisfied with the rewinders we have produced. We have now three sets in use in our own studio.
Production of the first commercial batch starts today. We hope to have these rewinders for sale on our webshop in May 2018!

Please see the video of these rewinders here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4TLCTkHiAg

I hope that we contribute to the film lovers community with these nice rewinders.

|addpics|4fp-2-cc25.jpg-invaddpicsinvv|/addpics|

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Greg Perry, Del Phillipson, Iman Yahya and John Armer
Del Phillipson sais Thank You!

Edwin van Eck
Date registered 09.14.2015
home: The Netherlands
ThankYou 8

RE: New Film rewinders soon in production again!

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:59 pm

I would love one that was geared so you didn’t have to use so much effort winding through. And with 8mm/Super 8/16mm support

Del Phillipson likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Edwin, why not go one step further and replicate the Spondon model for a high end small batch alternative for users?

The motor / gearbox arrangement and motor controller board etc are still available brand new from RS components, some of the parts you could easily 3D print and the rest are easily found and manufactured from general raw materials still.

The 12v DC, 500ma output mains adapter is easily found still also.

I could submit to you a breakdown of all parts and sizes required and could generate you some drawings etc, if you should ever decide to go along this route also.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:39 pm | Top

#4 by Edwin van Eck , Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:20 pm

This one is geared! (1 turn means 3 rotations for the film) and runs very smooth.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Del Phillipson
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Edwin van Eck
ThankYou 8

#5 by Edwin van Eck , Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:26 pm

For just rewinding the film, you can use any 16mm filmprojector. Using adapters you can use this to rewind 8mm, super8, 9,5mm and 16mm films.
See: https://shop.van-eck.net/viewers/accessories/p-1a/

For editing and cleaning films, you don't have control over the film using a filmprojector and really need a hand rewinder. That's why :-)

Edwin van Eck
ThankYou 8

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:31 pm

The Spondon unit is every bit as controllable Edwin for cleaning and checking film as a hand cranked winder. Probably more so with it's infinitely variable speed control from 1 rev per minute if so desired, to around 40 rpm and it remains at constant velocity throughout unlike geared hand cranked rewind arms ever do.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:40 pm | Top

#7 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:42 pm

Regardless, Edwin, thank you for your efforts and desire to bring new products to the film collecting community (which can be a picky bunch, as you can see! 😀)

John Hourigan

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:46 pm

It isn't being picky John, simply suggesting even further beneficial ideas and offering assistance if required to produce much of what is needed and desired by the community remaining.

Edwin knows only too well, that I for one, am extremely grateful for WHATEVER he brings to market. I have benefited personally, many times over since Edwin began providing parts and accessories for film users!

I have also purchased from him many times over to support Edwin in his efforts for us all as I hope you have too John.
I have also benefited by receiving some free items from Edwin as a result of trialing prototype parts etc as well as previously offering suggestions to him etc etc.

Have you John?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:47 pm | Top

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:01 pm

I will take your instant absence here now, as a "NO" then John.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:46 pm | Top

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:23 pm

I don't need a set of rewinders, but wanted to say that in one very old book I have it recommends you purchase a rewinder with a ratio of 4 to 1; also, if I was purchasing any set I would want one that doesn't have a dummy.

Robert Crewdson

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:25 pm

At least 4:1 i'd say Robert. What is a dummy btw? (not the kind my Grandson uses I take it?)

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm | Top

#12 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:41 pm

With all due respect, Andrew, I don’t live on this forum constantly to immediately answer you within minutes. And your self-righteous, condescending tone is totally uncalled for. I don’t need to answer to you, Andrew, as I’ve bought thousands of dollars worth of film collecting products to simply support the hobby, both during its halcyon years and during its current lean years. (In fact, I was one of the collectors who signed up for Phil’s new projector project that ultimately died due to collectors sniping about it.) And I think it’s great that anyone tries to release new related tools for the hobby, such as Edwin.

You need to bring it down a notch or two, Andrew, or you will drive away even more members from this forum, including me.

John Hourigan

#13 by Maurice Leakey , Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:48 pm

A rewinder handle should turn in the opposite direction from the spool rotation. It's naturally easier to turn the handle in an anti-clockwise direction, this turns the spool in a clockwise direction. All rewinders do this, although a rewind attached to a viewer will operate in the opposite direction as the film movement is relatively slow for viewing. A rewinder does the job much more quickly.

I think Robert means that he prefers both ends to have a geared handle.

Tom Photiou likes this
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 04.05.2018 | Top

#14 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:52 pm

How much are these? Can you use 16mm and 8mm?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#15 by Del Phillipson , Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Well done edwin on a tremendous effort, I myself use the Elmo ones and they are fantastic, however anyone who hasn't got a set of good rewind arms, I can recommend them wholeheartedly and the ones that Edwin is displaying look top notch.

Tom Photiou likes this

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:27 pm

I am pleased to hear you supported Phil's Fumeo "Classic" venture John despite the fact that sadly, it never got off the ground. I am equally pleased to hear you also still continually support film by spending huge sums.
It would appear, that includes spending thousands of dollars by your own admission, on various film and film associated products over the years.

We all in one way or another, answer to each other here John, it is the very nature of a small intimate close knit forum such as this one and while nobody wants to see your disappearance here just as quickly as you have first arrived, I think you will find that on each occasion I may come across in the manner you describe, there may well have been a provocative reply placed here beforehand to gain such a response back.

Enjoy your day here John.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:56 pm | Top

#17 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Maurice explained it perfectly. Also there should be adjustable tension.

John Armer likes this
Robert Crewdson

#18 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:04 pm

I respectfully disagree, Andrew — not sure why practically every one of my posts requires a laborious, pompous response. Not a great way to recruit (and retain) new forum members.

It’s simply a hobby, for Pete’s Sake, and hats off to Edwin for working to infuse it with new tools.

John Hourigan

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:13 pm

I am not looking to continue with this John, but what I will say is without any shadow of doubt, pompous is one thing I am definitely not.
It is an impossible thing to be, coming from where I do.

I wholeheartedly agree with you though in raising all of our hats, so to speak, for all that Edwin and his team continues to offer us all.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:16 pm | Top

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:25 pm

A question here to Maurice based on something he said here earlier,..

Do a lot of editors have a 1:1 ratio for rewinding etc?

I have only ever owned the Goko RM 8008 and it has a geared set of handles on the end of each arm that are of a similar ratio to those often found on rewind arms.

One full revolution of the handles turns the spool around 4 or 5 revolutions.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:27 pm | Top

#21 by Maurice Leakey , Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:55 pm

I only have one editor, a Super 8 Prinz Oxford 500 so I can only talk about this model.
I only bought it to use the rewind. Each end has a handle but as there are no gears, it's a one turn which equals one complete revolve of the spool.
For rewinding, it's hard work compared with a "proper" rewinder.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#22 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:59 pm

I am fortunate then it would seem by having the Goko, Maurice.

It is fairly easy to generate decent speed to rewind even up to 800ft runs of film but you do have to keep a helping hand on the top of the case near the screen viewing area just to steady it when rewinding at pace.

The unit isn't very heavy and otherwise would have a tendency to sway around on whatever surface you may place it on.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:04 pm | Top

#23 by Stuart Reid , Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Andrew - my Goko RM8008 doesn't have any gearing, it's just 1:1 on both arms. Wonder if it changed during the production run?

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#24 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:16 pm

That does surprise me then Stuart. Mine most certainly does have.

Next time I'm off I will take a short video clip of it in action and work out exactly what ratio it operates at.

Are your spindles offset to the handles Stuart?

On this one of mine, there is a definite pronounced offset to allow for the internal gears to be fitted.
The caps on the hubs are also quite large, around 30-40mm from memory.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:19 pm | Top

#25 by Stuart Reid , Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:20 pm

I've checked again, the left hand arm DOES have gearing that operates in one direction... Operator error! By the way, did you know Goko will still repair RM 8008s! https://www.gokocamera.com/english/historical/

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Lost Film?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor