Help! Trying to replace the blade on a CIR 16mm splicer.

#1 by Stuart Reid , Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:29 pm

I have a CIR M3 splicer and the blade is old and out of shape. I've purchased a replacement blade but i'm falling at the first hurdle trying to fit it. I've followed the instructions for the 35mm version here: http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/manuals/CIRSPLICER.pdf but when I unscrew the knurled nuts to remove the lever axis there is a bar running through that does not want to budge. Am I following the wrong instructions? Can anyone help?

Thanks

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

RE: Help! Trying to replace the blade on a CIR 16mm splicer.

#2 by Maurice Leakey , Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Stuart
I presume you mean the hinge?
It's a long time since I replaced the cutting parts on my old 16mm CIR (I now have a new M3). As I recall I unscrewed one of the knurled nuts and used the nut on the other end to pull out the hinge.
Perhaps a trace of oil may help to free the part.

Stuart Reid sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#3 by Stuart Reid , Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:21 pm

That's what I'm left with if I remove both nuts, I think a drop of oil and some... percussive maintenance may be necessary.

Stuart Reid
ThankYou 37

#4 by Stuart Reid , Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Panic over, found the 16mm instructions.

Stuart Reid
ThankYou 37

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Film-Tech have the instructions for the MK3. I tried taking mine apart as instructions, but found it tight, so left it.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Dave Guest , Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:48 pm

they are tricky to do I sharpened my blade on a oil stone and when I had done it you could have a shave with it also got to make sure you set the cutting blades right or it wont cut clean

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:50 pm

can you actually get new blades for these?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#8 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:02 pm

There is a guy on Ebay that had some for £40 each. I'd like to know if David can tell us how to set the blades, as mine doesn't cut straight on the perf side; either the tape is missing on part of the film, or I have to trim it carefully with a pair of scissors. some time, I'll try to get some photos. You can get blades elsewhere, but all parts for these machines are expensive.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#9 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#10 by Greg Perry , Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Robert, I have the same issue on my 16mm CIR where there is, on occasion, a little extra tape hanging off the perf side which then needs trimming with a scissors as you say. Doesn't happen every time but enough to be annoying.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#11 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks Chaps, jeepers they are expensive, i guess we'r lucky that they are still available though.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#12 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:09 pm

Greg, I will see if I can photo the main issue tomorrow. I first used a MK 1 that was lent to me, and it made a perfect splice, but the MK 3 is supposed to be improved, but apart from being able to deal with shrunken film, I don't think it is. The worry about trimming off the excess is that you don't trim any of the actual film. I did have to bend my blade slightly as it was shaving off the edge of the leader that I tried it out on.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#13 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:43 pm

I've taken a photo, but it's not very good, having been taken on a phone. I've arrowed where the problem is. I press the tape down with my fingers, but often, when I look after the splice, part of the film has no tape. Often the area is larger than shown here. Looking at the cut, where the tape is still connected to the roll, it looks like the tape is torn rather than cut, and maybe that explains it. Perhaps it would benefit from trying to sharpen it.

Going off track a bit, but most of you here are too young to have heard this. In the late 60s, when men were buying packets of razor blades, there was some tip about leaving a blade out overnight and have it facing north, and the magnetic pull is supposed to have sharpened it. I never tried it myself. I don't know if anything else was involved. Then another trick was wetting the inside of a tumbler with water and rubbing the blade on the inside of the glass, I did that a few times when short of money.

Greg Perry likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#14 by Maurice Leakey , Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:02 pm

Before you try and sharpen the cutting blade, which I do not recommend, carefully clean the cutting edge of both blades of any sticky residue.
But, be VERY CAREFUL as the blade/s could seriously cut your finger/s. This is a tricky operation due to the fact that there is not much room to do it.
You could always get a new blade, which as you know, is actually one piece. But it's a hell of a job to replace everything due to the spring which doesn't want to play ball. Joking apart, it would really need two people to achieve this.

The following members like this: Ian Partridge, Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#15 by Greg Perry , Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Robert,
I see what you are saying--picture clearly shows what is happening on yours. Mine is slightly different as the tape is completely covering the film, but with the similar extra tape hanging off the edge that requires manual trimming. I would agree that it seems like for both you and I the tape is tearing rather than cutting cleanly.
As Maurice says, a thorough cleaning is probably where we should start and see if that helps--prior to messing with trying to sharpen it--which could even make it worse if not done quite right.

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#16 by Robert Crewdson , Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 pm

You can see from this post, that I did remove and clean the blade, but it made no difference to the performance. A replacement would cost about £40, so I would try sharpening first; nothing too abrasive, maybe a very fine emery cloth. I didn't have any trouble putting it all back together.
This is what you call "dirty".

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#17 by Greg Perry , Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Yes, at this point what do you have to lose? The emery cloth is a very good idea as it shouldn't alter the bevel of the blade at all like a file might if not held at the appropriate angle.....

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#18 by Robert Crewdson , Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:39 am

Update. I don't know if all CIR splicers have this, but mine has retaining clips, to hold film flat, and I found by using them, I got a better cut. I didn't have the problem I had before, where one part was missing. There is still the slight overhang, to be trimmed with scissors. I guess the only cure is to slightly bend the blade.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#19 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Robert
Be very, very, careful when handling the blade with its powerful spring. If you're happy trimming with scissors you should not attempt it.
Make sure that the cutting edges of the channel are quite free of any sticky residue from cut tape. This can hamper a good cut.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson
Robert Crewdson sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#20 by Philip Murat , Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:41 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Hi Stu,

Did you pull out axis ?

To allow to get it easily, press handle down in the same time you pull axis , that releases the effort on axis , so that axis come easily.

Put a drop of oil as necessary...........

Let us know

NB
To reinstall axis, same process in reverse, put handle in the hinge , press handle and slides axis in a same time.
"U" knife has thick wall on these splicers, I think it is possible to sharpen it more than once to restore cutting quality , using a small carbide file.

Also, I come accross on that :

Werbung: ULTRASONIC SPLICER 35MM

Normaly 3070 means 70mm Film

I don't know if it can work for 16mm or S8 too

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

Last edited 10.08.2018 | Top

Latest issue of "The Reel Image"....
A Question on Screens