Cinema Milestones

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:38 pm

The listing of 'Steamboat Willie', prompted me to start this thread.
When I first got into film collecting I made sure of getting a few film milestones that I had read about as a boy. The ones that come to mind in my collection are:-
Walt Disney's 'The Three Little Pigs'. This was the first cartoon in 3 strip Technicolor. Unfortunately, the Walt Disney company released this in B&W and silent.
The Great Train Robbery, made in 1902, was famous for the close up at the end, the cowboy fires a gun at the audience, and many of them ducked at the time. Although a Western, it was actually shot in the Eastern part of the USA.
Gertie the Dinosaur, the first cartoon, made in 1909.
A Rough Sea at Dover, made in 1895, it was the first public screening of a film in Britain.
Also have George Melies 'a Trip to the Moon' (1902), not sure if this is classed as a Milestone, though it appears in many books on the history of the cinema.

What other milestones were released in Super or Standard 8?

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:47 pm | Top

RE: Cinema Milestones

#2 by Mats Abelli , Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Robert, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_and_Trees, was the first Technicolor full-color three-strip release. ( I have it on Super 8 ). Also Disney, but not as famous as the blockbuster Three Little Pigs. ( I have a WDHM print in colour, that have been striped and recorded, by the former owner )
One other milestone to remember is the first animated feature: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I was lucky to find a print in Blackpool last year. One of my all time favourites.

John Armer likes this

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

Last edited 03.01.2018 | Top

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks Mats, so the Three Little Pigs wasn't the first. That was quite a find. I don't know if 'Becky Sharpe' was ever released in Super 8, but that was the first feature to completely use 3 strip Technicolor.

Mats Abelli likes this
Robert Crewdson

#4 by Mats Abelli , Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:16 pm

To be honest, I have never heard of Becky Sharpe. But if it was the first, it must be counted as a milestone.

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

Last edited 03.01.2018 | Top

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Mats, do you have 'Song of the South'?

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Mats Abelli , Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:34 pm

No, but I think that Vidar bought a 16 mm print about two years ago. I only have the WDHM 200ft Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby.

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
A test of new forum part

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor