Morecambe and Wise saved from a skip

#1 by Stuart Reid , Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Interesting read on how modern technology has helped restore a totally vinegared TV show: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/2018/sm...e-and-wise.html

Paul Wilson likes this
Clyde Miles sais Thank You!

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

RE: Morecambe and Wise saved from a skip

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Amazing that they could get that from such a badly decomposed film; the soundtrack was very good.

Robert Crewdson

#3 by Tom Photiou , Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:28 pm

Who doesn't love Morecambe and Wise? To date, in my opinion, theirs not been any TV personalities to match them, and they still make Christmas TV top viewings.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Stuart Reid likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 02.21.2018 | Top

#4 by Stuart Reid , Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Robert, I bet the soundtrack existed in another format, reel to reel probably, and they've just married up the pictures. I can't believe you'd get anywhere near that fidelity with such a badly decomposed print.

Tom Photiou likes this

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:02 pm

I think you're right Stuart. I don't think I would want to watch half an hour or an hour of film like this.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks Stuart! It is absolutely incredible what today’s technology can do in rescuing prints that were once thought beyond saving. As a result, I’ve been able to access movies, TV shows, and such that I’ve read about all my life, but I was never able to access due to it being lost, damaged, etc.

It is truly a great time to be in our hobby.

John Hourigan

#7 by Tom Photiou , Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Thats very true John, anything is recordable and restorable, (is that even a word), these days. This is were the electronic age comes in very useful for all movie fans and we get to see the old and the new. When we'r all long gone in another 50 years time i wonder how few projectors and reel films will be left, we are quite privileged to see big changes in the film industry and how it is shown to the audience. In a way we are the ones who get to see the best of all the projection methods.
I appreciate some of us really dont like the changes but unfortunately you cant stop them.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 pm

it was change and innovation that brought us film in the first place. Time waits for no man and technology will always make things bigger and better than ever before even if at times it doesn't always feel this way.

Thank God for innovation and for the creative minds that bring innovation to the forefront to the benefit of all.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 pm | Top

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 pm

At the present time it hasn't proved to be better. It's not a safe medium for preservation. Digital photography has some advantages over traditional film photography, but there is a limit to how big you can enlarge a photo before it becomes pixilated.

Robert Crewdson

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 pm

Resolution of digital technology will soon become almost limitless Robert.
Already it competes on every level to anything it has now superseded.

Andrew Woodcock

#11 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:32 pm

The Millenium discs were supposed to have a life of 1,000 years, and now we learn that some of them are unplayable already. It might come eventually, but how long? I received a complaint yesterday about the number of digital references creeping in, I hadn't noticed it myself, maybe it was a reference to a box set, or a disc being used for recording purposes.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:35 pm | Top

#12 by Tom Photiou , Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Have to say there's nothing around at the moment to complete as a safety method, films and photos are proven, if kept properly we know they last for decades, some a 100 years or more, as of yet we have seen cassettes come and go, video,DVD now b ray, already there's talk of blu ray disc rot so i see Roberts point on this.
Film wins hands down, fortunately its very expensive.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:39 pm

Storing and safely archiving for many years can be a different matter altogether but it's cheap as chips now to continually transfer to newer storage facilities so I doubt that's too much of an issue for anyone who requires any kind of long term archive, providing they always keep a second copy.

No moving discs provide the best or safest method of archive.

There really isn't any excuse in this day and age for losing any data that's precious to yourself so long as you protect it properly.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:46 pm | Top

#14 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 pm

You probably know more about this than I do, but is the quality affected by this continually transferring from one to another, as in the case of video and audio tape?

Robert Crewdson

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 pm

No it isn't Robert. Unlike VHS etc etc digital tech is lossless in transfer aside from data corruption etc.

You can shuffle your holiday snaps and videos around as often as you like and they will still look exactly the same so long as all equipment and security is kept healthy.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:52 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Your Film room Ideas please

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor