Your Film room Ideas please

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:26 pm

At the moment i have decided to give the film room a fresh dab of paint and sort out.
Some of you will have seen images on here last time when i gave it a spring clean but i have so much junk in here so now i am turning it solely for use as a film room.
I use the term film room as i cannot create a mini theatre as i dont have the budget for it nor the DIY skills, as much as i would like to i cant, apart from that i like to sit in with my audience, so i dont need a separate projection room.
This room was used as a bedroom by the previous house owner so it was a ready made room carpeted with a dark grey cheapie carpet, and centrally heated, the wall you see in images one and two is where the screen goes, obviously i am doing some repairs and repainting this with a fresh coat of matt black. The red at the top is a cheapy polystyrene coveing, what a pain in the butt this was to paint, it was white as was the skirting at the bottom, (though this is obviously wood).
I will need to replace that awful florescent light with a nice new one suited to a film room and a dimmer switch.
I am unsure whats best to do with the ceiling as this again, is covered with white polystyrene tiles so painting the entire ceiling could be a nightmare, i was going to draw a line a foot forward of the screen and just try painting these in matt black. What would you do with this ceiling without pulling off the tiles and re plastering it?
Image 3 shows clearly that we have way too many posters and film lobby card etc on the wall, the other problem it shows is how the glass fronted frames reflect too much and with a day time scene on films it can light up the room a bit, where the heck can you can a non reflective plastic cover that could be used for the frames?
Image 4 is the band that was hand painted all the way around the room to look like a strip of film, the close up shows how easy this was to do although it was extremely time consuming. If i could have got hold of a roll of unwanted 35 or 70mm film i would have used that but this is pretty good. I wont be painting over this!
Image 5 shows what is a two tier work top used to hold the films and memorabilia thats been bought for me over the years, (BTW< all that junk is being moved out for a day or two while the painting is going on, including the films), The wooden supports have never been painted so these will also end up matt black.
Image 6, another very simple idea, postcard sized film posters tacked into a hand painted area to look like film, close up do show the hand free painted alignment but when you see within the room it does look quite good so these little frames wont be painted over.
The last image is behind the projector, the back wall, the window is through to what is a large garage but to turn the garage into a film room, (would be a better size), would be very costly and starting from scratch is not something i want to do. The current room is warm, heated, comfortable and i think just big enough. As its below the rest of the house the sound doesn't carry anywhere outside of the house whereas if it was in the garage it would.
What would you blokes do with it, i am not a very imaginative person so i always appreciate other peoples ideas.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Your Film room Ideas please

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:33 pm

You got some nice posters there, Tom. The blue wall and decorations look nice. I could only think of adding any reels you have that may no longer be suitable for using with a projector; like some 16mm that maybe are metal and bent slightly. Have you tried removing a ceiling tile to see what it's like underneath?

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:40 pm

cheers Robert, i will use the spare reels i have, i'll put them to the left and right of the screen,
ive not taken a tile off yet, i may take a sneak peek tomorrow evening,

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 pm

Even using a roller to paint a ceiling is arm aching; first time I did our living room was by brush. I should add that if you paint the ceiling with a roller, it makes tiny speckles, so you need to cover anything up and remove your posters.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:56 pm | Top

#5 by Dave Guest , Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:30 am

try adding some old standard 8 or 9.5 projectors they look good as decoration ornament etc, better than a bunch of flowers in a vase thers plent on ebay cheep

Tom Photiou likes this

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:25 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

To my mind Tom, overall the theme of your room c/w its memorabilia, posters etc is really nice. All it really requires in my most humble of opinions is perhaps a little tidying (step ladders and dart board etc in garage ha ha, plus some matching comfy chairs etc perhaps one or two recliners if budget permits) , a nice fitted screen which can be masked in a permanent set up such as as yours with maybe some electric tabs for effect if you are feeling really adventurous and creative.

I'd also do away with the ceiling light altogether and repaint the ceiling in either white or white with a hint of blue colour perhaps, like the Dulux range offer etc and i would fit a few wall lights with a dimmer switch controlling them all close to the projector on the nearest wall.

The ceiling will always bounce light from it and effect the contrast on screen to a degree, but in the home environment little else can look "homely" I feel so it's a compromise I'd always be personally happy with.

Reflective surfaces such as picture frame glass etc can be an annoying distraction but if you carefully place these away from the screen area in the last third of your cinema, I would have thought you would be ok and without too much distraction from them.

A set of nice comfy chairs needn't be expensive btw Tom as i have just seen over on Flea bay. They dont need to be either expensive or brand new for our cinema rooms I don't feel.
Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Recli...m-/232663516894

Of course these may be preferred in black etc, but this was just a starting point i have just seen.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:33 am | Top

#7 by Tom Photiou , Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Andy, All that mess is just me pushing everything into one corner, its all coming out tonight so i can get on and get it done,
Thank you so far to all for your ideas, David, yes i like the idea of just a couple of ornamental vintage projectors. It will also be quite good having a play with these to, nothing to lose.
The memorabilia is a a bit of funny thing thing really, i never intended to have any of it but when i bought this house 20 odd years ago and it had a "film room" i think everyone thought i would like all this stuff in there. So consequently, every year my Brother went to Florida he bought something back and Mum also kept adding to it so a few years ago i had to be diplomatic in explining to everyone that i now have enough.
What i am going to do it spread this out now, on the opposite side of the room i do have a small bookcase type unit, so i will use this for the toys
The posters will also be thinned out to half what is already there. It can look vert tacky when it's over done as it is now.
Will definatly look to see how much it would cost to get a couple of wall lights , that is something i have wanted for many years, just never got around to it.
Robert, i think i will stick to using a brush But have to say i could have everything out of this room is less than half an hour.
This way is always best as you know because it's the best time to clean everything.
Will let you know how i get on as i do it. Much of it may have to be later in the year when i know the job isn't at stake.
Keep it coming lads please, i really am hopeless at any kind of room ideas.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 02.19.2018 | Top

#8 by David Skillern , Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi Tom,

this is a difficult one - dependent on room size, and different needs - my den also doubles as a 2nd living room - however it is set up,for home screenings. I have a 6ft motorised screen at one end and bookcases from a well known swedish emporium - that hold the majority of my collection - super 8 and now 16mm - some framed posters on the walls. But it comes down to space and money -

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#9 by David Skillern , Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:43 pm

I'll take some pictures of the other side of the room - to give you another perspective

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:41 pm

David, I notice you have some films stored vertically and some horizontally; I do have a few vertical, but most are now stored horizontally. Originally I stored them all vertically, and this is how my Super 8s are in a cupboard. I think this comes from seeing them that way in the shops, when they were in racks or on shelves. I've only changed to horizontal because of some saying that films sag if stored vertical. I haven't experienced this in any films that were OK when I got them, but do have a couple where it's impossible to use the projector to rewind the film on to the spool, as you get gaps, and I have to use a set of bench rewinders.

Tom Photiou likes this
Robert Crewdson

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:47 pm

I think for 16mm features and anything over 1200ft on Super 8mm, it is most important to store the films flat to avoid sagging over time from the weight of the film on the reel.

All smaller films on reels on 8 are not affected though I've found.
I stack 200/ 400 footers just for practical convenience and 2400 footers through necessity to protect the film from sagging.

All else forms a bookshelf arrangement and works out just fine.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:08 pm | Top

#12 by Tom Photiou , Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Thank you again everyone, i will measure the room tonight.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Morecambe and Wise saved from a skip

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor