Indi 8's Christmas Quiz - The Winners Are...

#1 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:44 am

I've alotted 4 prizes this time, but it was another poor response. only 37 people entereed, this will most probably be the last ever quiz in this form, there is just not enough interest, I'm afraid.

1st place went to Mr. Alf Broxton
2nd place went to Mr. Derek Walton
3rd place went to Mr. Stuart Hilliker
4th place went to Mr. Tom Photiou

Congratulations to the four winners, who will receive there prizes within the next couple of days. I'd like to thank those that did bother to have a go.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Barry Attwood
Last edited Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:44 am | Top

RE: Indi 8's Christmas Quiz - The Winners Are...

#2 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:18 am

Thank you Barry.
It is quite sad and i will add this,
Anyone who states they dont have the time to do this is talking bollocks. You spend hours of effort on line on one or more forums so theres not really any excuse.
I myself took a long time to actually start making the effort when Barrry pointed out the lack of interest some time ago it made me think so i entered, after a couple i won it, and now a fourth prize to. Its great.
Thanks again Barry, & i wish you a happy and busy new year.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 01.02.2018 | Top

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 am

I have to admit, on this one, I am as guilty as the next man so my sincere apologies to Barry this time around.

I am the first to point out that people's efforts for our hobby should be acknowledged, congratulated, encouraged and endorsed by everyone left in the hobby by showing their support for such effort for the benefit of us all.

It's one of those things that at the time I did place on my "to do" list, but sadly at this time of the year, it went completely off of my radar I shamefully admit.
No excuses though, so once again apologies Barry and I hope for those that have participated, this doesn't become the very last one.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, David Ollerearnshaw and Martin Dew
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:38 pm | Top

#4 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:57 am

I've just looked at how many people have viewed this page containing the results of the Christmas Quiz, as I type this it's been viewed 107 times, people seem to be interested in seeing who has won, so why haven't more of those 107 viwers had a go and entered the quiz, all right I'd guess that some people have looked at the results more than once, but with 37 entries and 107 views as of 9.55 a.m. on the 3rd january, it really leaves me puzzled, and a little sad after all my hard work in doing these competitions, but that's life, I suppose!

The following members like this: David Alligan and Tom Photiou
Barry Attwood
Last edited Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:57 am | Top

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am

That is the same for anything written on the forums sadly Barry.

We have people log in here religiously every day, yet never post or comment on anything unfortunately.
We are a nation of voyeurs apparently.

What we have to all remember now within this hobby of ours, just as I pointed out several times to David H here and elsewhere over the years,..is that if you are doing anything at all to share with others out of interest for this hobby, do it purely for the love of it all and not for any particular gain or number count.
Otherwise, those that do post things here , involving big chunks of their time and effort at times, like Tom with his reviews for example, very often will end up bitterly disappointed I'm afraid.

As Tom himself has recently declared, it does leave you with a feeling of "what's the bloody point?" at times and then often a big reluctance to ever make the effort in future again, but then that would almost signal the end for this pastime as a sharing commodity and that's not the answer either.

We could all do with greater numbers and greater numbers of participants at times but from my own observations here and elsewhere, you may get the first but it's highly unlikely most will ever regularly join in with it all.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:32 am | Top

#6 by Martin Dew , Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:25 am

Barry, I entered the last two, but not this one, even though it was on my list of things to do before Crimbo and I apologise. Please don't stop doing the competitions - it was certainly an uncharacteristic oversight on my part this time. I think everyone really appreciates what you're doing, and what a great supporter of the hobby you are.

David Alligan likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:30 am

Christmas is a great time to do a competition, but also it's the busiest time of the year for many many people, its easy to run out of time for everything everyone has on their "to do" list.
I'd imagine many people fell into the same category as yourself there Martin.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:50 am | Top

#8 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:17 pm

A lot of people browse the forums most days myself included,sometimes I look at certain topics and can't really add much or anything at all. At one time I was putting quite a few pictures up of films I'd watched but took a step back as I thought I was taking over so stopped for a while,I would do more of them both on 8 and 16mm but didn't want members to get fed up of too many pictures from one person.

As for Barry's competition , if it's something he enjoys doing then continue to do so,the entries are always a bit low so I don't see any difference on any future one's if they happen, Mark

Mark Mander

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Mark, I truly believe the images of everybody's films and equipment as well as other interesting articles, artefacts and tutorials etc etc are very very welcomed by all who visit here and are also highly valued by those who they interest or concern.

Please don't ever feel you may post too many screenshots etc as I am certain that could never be possible by either yourself or indeed anyone else for that matter.

The forums (all of them), are crying out for increased activity and stimulus.

We know only too well that the majority of memberships across all of the forums choose only to peruse and never to post anything, so for those that are prepared to post in these places, let's give these people something to read and view.

16mm reviews and equipment repair tutorials etc etc, are particularly welcomed as we see very very few of these aside from Tom and Vidar's efforts by and large.

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:45 pm | Top

#10 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Received my prize today from Barry, Got a 200ft copy of Mash, Ideal and Thank you Barry, this is one i have not got nor ever owned so another great addition c/o a free competition from Barry and it was only posted out yesterday, Great stuff.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

David Alligan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#11 by David Alligan , Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Barry I wouldn't blame you one bit if you didnt do any more competitions, as you say "whats the bloody point" and as to the excuse I didn't get round to it, that's not acceptable, how long does it take ?, they weren't hard questions, I looked my answers one night during the second half or Emmerdale.
Ypu try and do something extra to help the hobby and it gets thrown right back in your face.

David Alligan  
David Alligan
Date registered 07.11.2016
home: Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 01.03.2018 | Top

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Those are highly valid points Dave, but equally the same could be levelled by Vidar at times with some of our membership here who join here but never participate with any of it despite him paying a monthly fee for it to stay here for everyone.
It's a good job we don't throw the towel in quite that easily I reckon.

As the saying goes Dave, you can lead a horse to water....

If Barry does decide to make this one his last, it would just be a real shame for all those who do regularly participate in his quiz.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:40 pm | Top

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:23 pm

Just another point to highlight to Dave that it isn't only Barry's competition that had to be put on a back burner due to the pressures and time shortages of pretty much anyone who also has to spend a large chunk of their waking hours working for a living as well as preparing for all else at this busy family time,..
I had captured footage from all of the Christmas films I watched in the run up to the busy period and didn't manage to work or upload one single screenshot onto the forum in time for Christmas.
I properly sat down on our sofa for the first time in over week just to relax at 7pm Christmas Eve.

I personally think it's unfair to badge people as having "no excuse" on this one here.
I am sure Martin, Brian and certainly myself would have entered into the competition and shown our gratitude to Barry by our involvement if only our other priorities had come to a close a little sooner at the time.

I will make every effort to participate in any future competitions Barry may choose to put to us all in the future as I am sure Martin and Brian will.

Andrew Woodcock

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Jack Roe

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor