Ealing BFCC

#1 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:55 pm

I just got back from another enjoyable day at Keith Wilton's BFCC at Ealing. I got to see all the shows, and as usual the content was brilliant, but I'll do my usual review for my booklets (and it usually ends up in Film Collector too!). I saw many old friends, and had a great day chatting away (as you do at these events), and yes it could be the last ever BFCC, but no confirmation for certain (I'm crossing my fingers Keith will have another one, but I can understand if he calls it a day). I picked up some new stock, so I was pleased, but 8mm was a bit thin on the ground again, hardly anything on the Bring & Buy stall, but I guess there were one or two bargains had, that I must have missed.

If I missed talking to anyone, I'm sorry, but when I make a promise (to myself, at least!) to see all the film programs, I only get so long in between shows to talk to people, but I managed quite a few as usual, and it was most pleasing to see the efforts of some of the long distance collectors to attend, I even talked to Massimo Dalla Pria who flew in from lovely Venice for the day, now that's a real effort, well done.

Overall another very enjoyable day for all who attended.

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Ian Partridge
Barry Attwood

RE: Ealing BFCC

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:01 pm

Sounds like you had another fabulous day there Barry. Thanks for posting about it.
Your comments surrounding the state of play on the 8mm front, once again do not surprise me in the least but given all the build up, I was hoping and expecting Nigels table at the very least, to be full of quality Super 8mm prints.?????

Maybe he's held a load back for Blackpool?

All will be revealed no doubt.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:12 pm | Top

#3 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:45 pm

I thought it was a great day out, I picked up quite a few films and as we went in early thought there was plenty of super 8 to start with, some Bond features (4) and two Derann Disney features(Pinoccio and Bambi) I bought the Jungle Book, I got some bargains on the bring and buy so happy with that, it possibly might be the last one but you never know Keith might do another, Mark.

Mark Mander

#4 by Nigel Higgins , Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:51 pm

Hi,all it was a good day with plenty of 8mm and 16mm films for sale ,i had a few good 8mm films on my table which sold and i will have more for blackpool,i missed the bonds mark shame what ones where they and how much ??.A big thankyou to everyone that brought from em.Nigel

Nigel Higgins
Date registered 12.06.2015
home: haverhill
ThankYou 14

#5 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:58 pm

Nigel
I was told Goldfinger , From Russia With love, not sure on the other two or prices, it was the dealer from Birmingham opposite CHC who told me I just missed them. Glad you sold a few films and that Bell and Howell 16mm you use is very quiet which I was impressed with.

Mark Mander

#6 by Clyde Miles , Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:08 pm

who was the dealer from brum, was he selling 16mm?

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#7 by Dave Guest , Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:12 pm

glad everyone that went enjoyed as its hard working setting it all up and its disappointing when people don't go with all the work it takes to organise these events which are now getting quite rare ,I would love to be their selling films but its on a weekend where I am out with rides etc in fact it was 1 am when I get in Saturday .hope to see you all at blackpool then farnworth in February remember please try and support these events or you will lose them .well done done kieth see you at blackpool

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:13 pm

It's sounds like there was much more than Barry first hinted then chaps.
Well done to all who purchased those top titles there.

Jungle Book is lovely print if it's like new. A really beautiful print.

I would expect From Russia With Love to have been an optical print on Super 8mm

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:17 pm | Top

#9 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:23 pm

The Bonds were magnetic sound as I thought they would have been optical too.

The dealer from Brum was Glyn?? He was selling 16mm as well.

Mark Mander

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:24 pm

Unusual find then Mark on striped stock! 😊

I am not sure I've heard of Glyn??

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:26 pm | Top

#11 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:24 am

Clyde,
Glynn Jones, I'm sure that's him.

Clyde Miles sais Thank You!
Mark Mander

#12 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:48 am

Yes on reflection there was some nice titles, but as usual these were snapped up very quickly, and all of us know that once the 'Cream of the Crop' is sold, it comes down to the run of the mill titles, and there was many of them, still I know many collectors came away happy in finding that elusive print.

I was talking to Phil from CHC and he was happy with the way the day had gone for him, so at least a nice positive day for one dealer, but I think a lot of the others shifted quite a bit of stuff as well, so to reitorate once again, a reall fun day out once again curtesy of Keith and his many helpers.

Barry Attwood
Last edited Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:49 am | Top

#13 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:31 am

Yes on reflection there was some nice titles, but as usual these were snapped up very quickly, and all of us know that once the 'Cream of the Crop' is sold, it comes down to the run of the mill titles, and there was many of them, still I know many collectors came away happy in finding that elusive print.

Like all conventions Barry,Mark.

Mark Mander

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:14 am

Sadly, the BFCC convention could never be like the halcyon days of when Derann were there selling all their latest new releases as well as hundreds of top titles from their used lists.
Mary Hopkin...sing your heart out!

It's great to hear that this one had more than many of recent times though in the Super 8mm department for all those who attended. 😊😊😊

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:21 am | Top

#15 by David Skillern , Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:39 am

I'm glad those who went on Saturday had a good time and that Keith's shows were a highlight again. I went to the Convention in March which was my 1st - hopefully not my last - but I will be attending my 1st Blackpool convention in a few weeks time and really looking forward to it.

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#16 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:38 pm

See you there David, it's a great event and a lot of credit should go to David Guest who resurrected this wonderful weekend that I for one thought would die once we saw the demise of Derann. Well done David Guest, a big pat on the back from us all.

Del Phillipson

#17 by Dave Guest , Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:39 am

I cant believe we have had no pictures on here re ealing did no forum members go

Dave Guest
ThankYou 69

#18 by Martin Dew , Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:40 pm

I was there! My first collectors' convention since Cinema Screen Scene at The Rembrandt in 1980(?). I thought BFCC was a great show - good selection of films and equipment, and good demos in the hall. I wasn't around for the Derann and Perry's heyday shows, so I can't comment on that, but I really enjoyed Ealing. Sorry, no pics. I should have taken some.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#19 by Ian Partridge , Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:43 am

I attended too, and enjoyed looking at the films and equipment on the stalls. I was tempted by a 16mm Eastman colour print of Jaques Tati's 'Jour de Fete' on one dealers' stall. But I could not unwind enough of spool 3 to get to one of the colour sequences to see if it had shifted to red. I have an original 1940's Humphries Labs B/W print of this title, and I had an idea to splice in all the colour sections to make up a 'hybrid' print.

I found a bag full of a long length of coiled sprung wire for take ups on the 'Bring and Buy' table which I will use to replace the worn out ones on my Fumeo 16mm. So I was really pleased as I have been searching for this for ages.

As usual I came away with some obscure old British B/W B features. This time from the 1950's including one directed by Muriel Box, and another interesting thriller with Larry Parks who was blacklisted by Hollywood for his progressive political views like so much US talent who came to work in the UK in the 1950's.

Ian

Martin Dew likes this

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

Last edited 11.02.2016 | Top

#20 by Stuart Hilliker , Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:03 pm

Here's a link to a few photographs from the weekend.

https://we.tl/4tk5HXmVzL

The link will expire in a few days.

Stu

Stuart Hilliker  
Stuart Hilliker
Date registered 10.11.2016
ThankYou 12

#21 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:09 pm

Sadly it seem to be the last event for Ealing. I only got to attend one, wish my health (and economy) hadn't stopped me, but that is the way it goes sometime

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#22 by Nigel Higgins , Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:23 pm

A real shame its the last one ,it was very good a good turnout ,although reported to be otherwise .i hope it can continue in some wayi for one are very much in support of all conventions that i can attend .LONG LIVE REAL FILM.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Nigel Higgins
Date registered 12.06.2015
home: haverhill
ThankYou 14

#23 by David Skillern , Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:09 pm

Hell,

i hope its not the last one - i managed to get to the one in march earlier this year - i hope it continues in some form - but i am looking to Blackpool in 2 weeks.

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#24 by Dave Guest , Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:44 pm

re ealing why not ask the organiser if its the last one
would love to see the pictures but cant open the file anyone else getting same problems

Dave Guest
ThankYou 69

#25 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Yes David I too have just tried to open the link,and it fails to load,so you are not alone.
Anyone else have the same? 📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Rule Changes for Photo Uploads

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor