Rule Changes for Photo Uploads

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:15 pm

I was explaining to one of our members only yesterday, how to upload photographs on here. One of the forums boasts, I was explaining to him, is just how easy it is compared to any other site like this.

The explanation and advice I've given out to him, appears now to be no longer relevant.

Please could other members of our admin team please explain to me how these changes have come about here today?
Also why they have come about?
Was this requested by the website designers?
Was this something that was discussed with Vidar beforehand?

Many questions to be answered I know, but I was really surprised being a member of the admin team, that the first I knew of these changes, was when I was attempting to use the time honoured previously highly versatile and successful methods for doing so.

I will post a new advisory on here c/w with photos of each screen (if indeed I now can!) Once I know what these changes are and how they effect us all here.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:16 pm | Top

RE: Rule Changes for Photo Uploads

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:06 am

Not sure what you mean? Photo Gallery or uploads inside messages? I have not done or agreed to anything, but forum host might do stuff (they changed the upload procedure, but reverted back a little later)

Test

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

Last edited 10.29.2016 | Top

#3 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:13 am

won't load some photo's.

Del Phillipson
Last edited Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:17 am | Top

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Yes Vidar, we could do with speaking with the forum host then. Things have definitely changed yesterday without notification.

This will also infuriate our other members as well as myself , as no one likes to have to relearn these techniques once we have all become familiar with them.

As I said, I'd just finished explaining how it works to one member, when suddenly, it was all changed and incorrect advice.

Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:29 pm

What has changed? I uploaded a photo fine. Please explain the problem ... Photo Gallery?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:34 pm

as Del has just found out, some will load, some will not depending on their size and resolution.

As said, we used to pride ourselves here with the fact that you upload any image in any format or jpeg png etc etc.

Now no longer the case.

Andrew Woodcock

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:35 pm

I can't see any problem ... Created in Picture Gallery and uploaded 4 pictures here ... Same procedure as before. Only the Attach files is moved to the right now

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:36 pm

Okay, will ask them ... I just tested with jpgs

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:53 pm

Just ask them themselves Vidar, what's changed?

Definitely things have, I feel it will be all to do with resolution limitations.
If this is how it has to be, then fine,but it wasn't previously and as said, we could always pride ourselves here with your forum Vidar, with the ease of which any image could previously be uploaded.

Not something that could ever be said for the rest.

Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:54 pm

I asked them on Facebook, so now await reply

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#11 by Tom Photiou , Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:10 pm

Must admit i havnt had any problems, i always do downsize before hand though, mine are normally all reduced to 800x600 resolution, this way they are plenty big enough and i can upload 20 or more in seconds ,literally, its dead easy using the mail recipient via outlook.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:26 pm

I haven't tried the Outlook method Tom. Maybe that's how it has to be in the future.
I will await Vidar's reply first before placing any tutorial here.

Your method would be handy in pictures for our members Tom, if you would be prepared to place a tutorial for us all here.

I am not sure I can adjust the video resolution, I'd have to check that first.

At the end of the day, it's better as was, where nobody had to even consider what resolution a photograph was.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:01 pm | Top

#13 by Eivind Mork , Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:16 pm

I do understand their need to limit the image sized saved on disk. Disk is costly. But they should have resized themselves after upload, not limited what could be uploaded. I hope that is a mistake being corrected.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:33 pm

It's a little like our supermarkets and B&Q shops here now in the UK, where they make you have to do your own checkout at the tills!

As you say, if there is any downsizing to be done, this really ought not to affect our uploading capabilities here from what we once had.

That's the problem with the other forums, they make it incredibly difficult to post just the only kind of photographs they will accept with hardly any format deviations either!

Let's not go down that route!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:39 pm | Top

#15 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:52 pm

I pay for unlimited space, should not be necessary to downsize anything ... Still no reply

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:02 pm

No I bet there hasn't!

Especially as you've now revealed to us all that you very kindly pay for unlimited space for us all.

Personally, I feel these fees should be shared between all 3 admin members Vidar.
I don't think it fair you should pay for everything especially as I use the facilities more than most.

Let me know your thoughts here with this Vidar. Even if it was split two ways between you and I, I'd feel happier.

Going back to the first point in all of this, it is definitely worth chasing up now then as you are paying for totally unlimited uploading space.

Eivind Mork likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:06 pm | Top

#17 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:35 pm

No worries, it is not that expensive and you help out with my dubbing :-) Worth much more to know there is people like that around. I miss Mr. Scott, he was very kind to me

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Me too Vidar, but really, I do feel this burden should be shared.
Let me know anytime, should you think differently on the matter.

In the meantime, anytime my friend if you require further dubbing work.
It would be nice to do a Stereo digital transfer for you one day. Then you really would get the benefit from this kind of work!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:42 pm | Top

#19 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks for the offer, Andrew, but no problem, it is just ten euro a month. But appreciate your and Eivind offer

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#20 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:03 pm

I have just read Andrews last two comments on the Alladin thread,can some one explain what if any problem now exists on the uploading of photos to the thread ?
Has something happened which alters what we have been doing for months.Im a bit lost on this video uploading.
Thanks in advance 📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#21 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Personally I haven't seen much change, other than the attach photo (file?) has moved to the right of the screen instead of the left. Still works normally for me, but it might not upload bigger pictures, other formats perhaps. I asked Xobor about it, but still no reply

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#22 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:07 pm

As things stand presently Gwyn, it is not possible any longer to assume any photograph of any size (resolution), can automatically be uploaded here without first compressing it in order to allow the successful uploading of large photos here.

This was previously never the case Gwyn.

This is particularly unfair here, as Vidar pays the fee's for this website to have unlimited uploading capabilities.
Its like paying for SKY Sports and then not being able to watch the football as a comparison.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:11 pm | Top

#23 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:11 pm

By compressing, you mean re-size? What seem to be the limit? Size in Mb (this might have been 10Mb or something) and resolution you need to resize to?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#24 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:14 pm

Yes Vidar. my uploads taken from the video footage you see in the latest Aladdin post for example, all tend to be the same resolution as this what the camera records in. Ithink it is 1920 x 1080 or something close to this resolution that it captures in.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:15 pm | Top

#25 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:22 pm

Ah I see ,I do remember the last time I uploaded some pics I took a lot on my iPad and when I went to upload I could only do a few which I thought was strange but never thought any more of it.I assumed it was me doing something wrong and I still reckon it's could be.
Anyway I shall wait and see.
I hope it is sorted soon as I have something coming up which I hope will make for a good post in the next three weeks.........going back in time 🎞🎞🎞🎞🎞

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Ealing BFCC

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor