RE: Screenshots and Screensize.

#51 by Paul Browning , Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:43 pm

Thanks Hugh, that makes sense to me. So if my film is projected on a transluesent screen and i stood the other side i would see these tramlines like looking at the viewing screen. Must try this, some fine screeding material would do it.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#52 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:18 pm

I was just about to say Paul and Hugh, you won't find a print that looks anything like perfect on an editor Fresnel screen. Put the same print on your projector, chances are, it can look spotless!

Similarly green emulsion scratches don't show any different on a Fresnel translucent screen than ordinary black base scratch lines. As we all know, this certainly isn't the case when projected though unfortunately.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#53 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Try this demo for yourself here on this very Forum.
It will demonstrate clearly what I mean as regards a larger screen image
revealing more faults and details than a small one.
Go to Paul Browning's screenshots of DIE HARD.
Look at image # 7 of the screenshots as is.
What do you see right next to the guys arm on the leftside of the image ?
Then click on the image so that is larger.
Now what do you see right next to the guys arm ?

David Hardy
Last edited Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:41 pm | Top

#54 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:47 pm

I mentioned that in #41 David, it just underlines what I've said, any imperfections are recorded whatever size it is taken on, the camera
records the picture, faults and all. I use my patent lube before taking any shots, so any extraneous marks are covered up, even better than 2.22

Hugh Thompson Scott

#55 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:52 pm

Yes Hugh I agree. I am only trying to demonstrate what difference screensize can make though
when viewing something. Albeit in a much reduced size screen from a 4 foot upwards.
Its EASIER for the eye to pick up the faults and details the larger the image.

David Hardy

#56 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:59 pm

That's one reason why early CinemaScope films looked crap overall.
Due to the larger magnification of the inherent faults of the system.
It may have been wider and larger but it was not perfect so its a case
if you are going to project a large image you better make sure your print
is good enough to do so and do your equipment some justice.

David Hardy

#57 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:05 pm

I took some shots from reels one and two earlier today of a cinemascope print (RTT) , I will put up here later. As you say Hugh, to my eyes on Super 8mm at least anyway, they never look as sharp or as good as a nice flat print.
This one I thought today however was quite good though for sharpness, see what you think later.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:06 pm | Top

#58 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:40 am

Thinking back to those days in school, I hated school uniform, was the first to pack in wearing it, it was expensive, one shop sold it. it was shit material, the end game was where the pocket caught on a door handle and just ripped
half the bloody blazer.my mother wanted to replace, no way, I hated it I then wore a black blazer, better material, that had hung in the closet. Reckon it was my interest in giving the establishment a kick in the nuts, I hate
with a vengeance.Hence I eventually became a Union rep, a monster they created, and did I shake the buggers up! If I remember, Andrew is a young slip of a lad, but "Roy" was in the Lion or Tiger comic when I was a kid. Anyway, hope not be have bored anyone with my tales of yore.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue May 29, 2018 1:12 am | Top

#59 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:48 am

I hated Secondary school, full stop. We had to travel by bus, and most of the kids from that area were hooligans. Putting broken glass in the swimming pool, or breaking into school during the holidays and trashing the art room. Our headmaster was wrong when he told us that we would look back on these as the best days of our life. My happiest day was when I walked out of the school doors for the last time.

Robert Crewdson

#60 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:03 am

Hugh / Robert...I was briefly expelled from my secondary school for turning up wearing Flowery Shirts and Jeans instead
of my school uniform. Well it was the 1960s after all.
I also refused to cut my hair which looking back was not that long really.
I was taken back only after a compromise on my part and to stop my parents
getting into trouble with the authorities.
I later was "suspended" for going on a "Homework Strike" and helping to organise a
"Smokers Union".
I really loved my Art Teacher she was a sexy hot Italian Chick who wore Mini skirts
and silky psychedelic blouses.
Her name was Miss D'Agastino and she used to let us paint to the music of Pink Floyd , The Beatles and
Jimi Hendrix. Funny thing is the other lads in the class had a habit of dropping their paintbrushes when she was sitting
down. I could never work out the reason why !
I still think about her to this day.....SIGH !!!!

David Hardy
Last edited Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:05 am | Top

#61 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:09 am

Another fond memory was getting SIX OF THE BEST on each hand via a leather SCUD ( A tonged belt )
on a regular basis. Oh Happy Days !!!
I am glad I had my Newspaper round and my 8mm hobby to keep me sane.

David Hardy

#62 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:38 am

David, I remember one girl sent home because she turned up in winter, wearing boots instead of shoes. I remember a lot of boys had trouble putting their tie on, including me in the beginning. I would pull it off and the knot would become tight. The school board were quite strict in those days; they were likely to visit your home if you missed one day.

Robert Crewdson

#63 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:28 pm

I managed to break three windows in one day with one of those bloody Power balls, once set off, a weapon of mass destruction, its probably still bouncing now!, Got a hiding from the Headmaster, pocket money stopped for six weeks to pay damage, great. On teachers I fancied, Miss Briton was our Drama and History teacher, she was the spit of Elke Sommer in Carry on Behind, same face and hair style, I was smitten, she liked me for some reason, not as much as I liked her. It always amazes me when you read in the news of some spotty kid that has had an affair with a teacher, then goes and tells on her, the little creeps, we fantasised on this happening to us, we'd have paid!!

Hugh Thompson Scott

#64 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Robert / Hugh ... We sound like we are related to THE BASH STREET KIDS from THE BEANO comic.

David Hardy

#65 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Hahahahaha !!! I just remembered one of class mates getting sent home because he nicked his
Fathers motorbike and cycled to school on it. He was grounded for weeks.
Sadly he is dead now due to a Deep Sea diving accident while working offshore.
I will never forget him though he was some guy and did not give a shit and never
took any from any one.

David Hardy

#66 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:50 pm

I also got the scud for switching on and running a Bell & Howell 636 16mm Projector
that was pre-laced with a film and meant to be shown to the class after our one. Well I couldn't help it.
I was also left standing in the corridor for the rest of the periods.
I didn't care though as I did not like Geography Lessons.

David Hardy

#67 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:03 pm

Some of our teachers were violent; you couldn't get away with that now. One teacher grabbed a boy and dragged him from his chair, pushed him up against a wall, then the boy lashed out with his fists. Nothing happened, the deputy head thought he did well to stand up to a man.

Robert Crewdson

#68 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Violence was second nature to a lot of them, but we took it in our stride, it was accepted, coupled to which, if your Father got wind,
you got a clout off him, so best to keep stumm.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#69 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:55 pm

Yeah Guys the kids today don't know how lucky they are at school.
I mean if you as much as say something that upsets them or FART in their
direction then they bleat and make a song of dance of it !
SOFTIES the lot of em. Unless of course they are carrying a blade.
WE HAD IT TUFF !!!

David Hardy

#70 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:29 am

When we were speaking of our teachers being violent, our parents could be too, I'd never seen a flying kick until my 'ol man tried to
inflict one on me. luckily I was a bit too agile for the old bugger and vaulted the fence before it landed, thank Christ. One time, I'd made
a go cart, more like a skate board, but my young brother wanted to try it, my Dad said on no account, he was busy showing his mate around his greenhouse. Of course I let my bro try it, he came a cropper, I got blamed, "Pop" came flying down the garden, Hughie valuing life, especially his own, decided to exit stage left, I jumped the steps, grabbed the gate post and was a rapidly disappearing dot down the road, I hadn't realised that the cart had been hurled at me, and smacked into his mates car. I just kept going. legs do not fail me now. I hid on the "clay bank" until the old bugger had gone to the pub, one of the lads from the estate said "Huge, what you doing down here?", my reply was "Staying alive pal!" I related the tale, He just laughed but said, "I'll let you know when its okay." These kid's today are missing out on life, living their
lives in front of computers etc, speaking for myself, everyday was an adventure, granted some of the violent stuff is funny now, but then
it was a case of run for cover. Then there were the teachers.....

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:33 am | Top

#71 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:17 am

Aye !!! You tell that to the kids today and they wont believe you ! ..hahahahahaha !!!

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Robert's Film cleaner of choice

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor