ELMO GS 1200 ANTI-SCRATCH ROLLERS

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat May 28, 2016 11:06 pm

I am curious but does any one know who fits anti-scratch rollers and guides
to these projectors these days ?

David Hardy

RE: ELMO GS 1200 ANTI-SCRATCH ROLLERS

#2 by Paul Browning , Sun May 29, 2016 1:58 am

Hi David, i would think that Bill Parsons is your man for this conversion on the GS . I own the Derann GS Xenon machines and i think bill did these for Derek at the time, although i think there are other people who could do this on both forums, bill knows these machines very well. I do wonder though where the parts are sourced. It looks to be a very good mod with the lower loop former being a rubber roller on a bronze bearing. He would be my start point no question of that.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Graham Sinden , Sun May 29, 2016 2:06 am

To replace the black tensioner you could use the rubber roller from the ST1200 HD.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 44

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun May 29, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks Paul and Graham.
I never thought about contacting Bill regarding this as I thought he was only doing repairs
these days.
I need this done as the Elmo GS 1200 is currently my back-up projector should my Fumeo go
faulty.

David Hardy

#5 by Bill Parsons , Sun May 29, 2016 11:24 am

I have been fitting these rollers for a long time, but it is much easier now as Van Eck is making the film entry slot and the top sprocket shoe with rollers already fitted, so you could fit these yourself David, there has been issues with the shoe which Edwin assures me have been rectified, also if you have a mark2 some slight alterations have to be made, Graham is correct you can use a roller assembly from a 1200HD to replace the black tensioner, but first you have to find one !
I have seen some ingenious roller assembly’s fitted in this position by people; the original tesioner has to be very worn before it will scratch the film.

Bill Parsons  
Bill Parsons
Date registered 10.07.2015
home: Brookland, Kent, Uk
ThankYou 23

#6 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun May 29, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks for your reply Bill.
Are the Van Eck ones easy fitted ? I now suffer from arthritis in my hands which
makes fiddling and handling very small screws hard for me these days.
I have had to give up making models as a result.
Also my eyesight is not what it was.
That's the reasons I may have to send my machine off to have them fitted.

David Hardy

#7 by Bill Parsons , Sun May 29, 2016 3:19 pm

I would say they are easy to fit David (3 screws) it is only the spring on the shoe that is a bit fiddly, if you are worried about fitting them I would do it for you, it would not cost a lot, best to send a pm or ring if you decide to go down that road.

Bill Parsons  
Bill Parsons
Date registered 10.07.2015
home: Brookland, Kent, Uk
ThankYou 23

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun May 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Cheers Bill that would be great.
It might be an idea if you gave it a service at the same time.
I also have a GS 800 for you to have a look at.
I will PM you when I am ready to send them down one at a time that is.

David Hardy

#9 by Paul Browning , Sun May 29, 2016 4:03 pm

I have made rubber rollers for reel to reel machines, the lower one could be made in this way i guess, but would need to be ground on the bronze bush for trueness. The new
poly bushes now used on motor cars would be suitable, and i have used lower radius arm bushes from a beetle to make the reel to reel one's for a ferrograph series 7. The repairer
could not believe i had made them this way, but the originals had gone soft and would not transport correctly. I made several more sets for him, he never had any complaints from
customers with wow and flutter problems, if they only knew.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun May 29, 2016 4:21 pm

I don't know if this is relevant, but I experienced a "trill" on high notes, a vibrato effect, now I'm not a sound purist, but on a high
flight projector I expected better. Off it went, came back no different, I solved it myself, the pinch roller was not making full contact,
I removed it, switched it for the one from the ST1200, result, perfect sound.Paul, you are obviously a man of many parts, "skills unlimited", a definite plus to us, also, we are surely blessed by Bill Parsons, a wizard by any other name. Here are two at least, not to
mention Andrew, that are the men to have in your corner.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun May 29, 2016 4:50 pm | Top

#11 by Paul Browning , Sun May 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Thank you Hugh. When checked Hugh these rollers go out of roundness. With a reel to reel this stablisies the transport over the sound heads, and the rubber compound started turning soft, like chew gum, with flats and pitting no good for sound mate. I was able to get them much better with grinding them, when left to "spark out" is the term we use, not the term for knocking someone out !!!!!. I Worked with some top flight toolmakers, and you gleen much from these skilled men, if they couldn't make it no one could. What i would say though Hugh, i think the roller design on the Fumeo is better. They have a ridged edge not angled like all others i have seen, this gives only minimum contact with the film, and only on the outer edge, no where near the film frame, an ideal setup and they are made from metal another plus. If i was doing some new rollers for a projector, that would be my proffered design. The GS has alloy rollers on them, but not where all the problems occur sadly, and not like the Fumeo .

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Film cleaning/lubrication

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor