RE: Not Only Film High Price

#26 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 2:20 pm

I see it in the cinema, in digital video, it's not there in film. And I was happy to hear, many people around me said the same. It really was awful

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#27 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 2:21 pm

I wish I could show you what I mean. Many people don't see it before I mention it. See panning shots and follow the background a little ... It's mostly always jerky. My Gremlins 35mm did not look jerky, but the BD does. And it's in all digital it seems and I suspect it has to do with compression

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#28 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Spooky???

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#29 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Just crap technology ... Film will always feel better for me. It's spooky that evolution goes backwards (check out Big Brother, Paradise Hotel ... Oh, my). For me everything goes the wrong way.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#30 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Before I disappear to the tasks I have to do, I know what Vidar is saying, when I first got a dvd player, I noticed a jerk in movement,
I was a bit disappointed at first, but have adapted to it, its only on rare occasions I can detect it now.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#31 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 2:44 pm

I'm not so sure I'd want my MK4 Cortina back now Vidar!

You could grow bedding plants inside those wheel arches the amount of soil and crap that was allowed to be thrown into them, only to rot the things through inside 5 years! ha ha

Fred Flintstones car...eat your heart out!

Oh.. i forgot to mention the two camshafts per year it would eat all because some asshole in the design team put the wrong sized holes in the oil spray manifold!
Every single cam lobe starved of oil inside a couple of weeks due to the minute holes getting blocked!!

Not everything was better in the 70's and 80's, including our hairstyles!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 13, 2016 2:48 pm | Top

#32 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 2:55 pm

I take the point though, people are obsessed with ultra sharp pictures, Hi-Fi sound, 3D, huge TVs, what for, to watch Eastenders, Britain
thinks its Got Talent, and a multitude of gameshows, unfunny comedies and endless advert breaks, not for me, I was put here for a purpose, and it wasn't to sit through the shite they churn out in Britain, mindless, soulless, badly thought out pap for the mindless
masses who lap it up, George Orwell wasn't far off in his predictions.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri May 13, 2016 2:55 pm | Top

#33 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 3:06 pm

I'd trade back the hairstyle in a second to get the rest back to "normal" :-) Personally I think this money less society we're heading for is not a good thing. I have nothing I fear they find on me, I really don't care if they knew I bought chips instead of carrots at the grocery, but it's not right. Governments will get control of everything soon. Not sure that's a good direction. Cars getting more and more controlled by electronics ... Nah, not so sure I like that either. Look what happened with the Toyotas a few years back. How easy would it be for a jerk off to stand on a bridge on the motorway, remote controlling your car ... I'd feel safer controlling it myself. Electronics break down, no question about it and I'd hate to see that in a car at 100 mph

Anyone with a time machine, please send me back to the 70's

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#34 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 3:19 pm

There were plenty of good cars back then Andrew, Mini's were still popular, Triumph Heralds were a great little vehicle, our Susan
used to flit about in a Triumph Spitfire and a TVR. When you had a breakdown then, chances are you'd be on your way that day,
a guy in dirty overalls ( sounds like me ) would sort it out in a jiffy, nowadays, the mechanic is a computer technician, he plugs it in,
the machine tells him what's wrong, he tells you, " It'll be sorted in three days, if the parts come through, £700.00 plus VAT", Yes, isn't
technology wonderful..... not. As for hairstyles, I still have a mop, but with my good looks, I can get away with it.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri May 13, 2016 3:21 pm | Top

#35 by David Ollerearnshaw , Fri May 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Vidar I have Laserdisc and these knock spots off both Beta and VHS. Something to do when TV had 625 lines. Tried through my 4k crap.

Have noticed too the BD with the background, and when I watched ZULU on Videma the tracking shots looked unusual. Another thing I think I see is some parts of the image seem to move when they shouldn't. And lots of disc seem to have a thin black line round them.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#36 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 6:33 pm

I like LD myself, but only on analogue equipment. Yes, the black lines, I am not sure I see those (detail vision isn't too good, but I do see the jerky pictures). I wonder if those lines are "restorartion" effects. Some films look really weird when they "shine it up" too much. Taking away grain from an original 35mm isn't something they should do. Sterility is what I feel I get then.

So it's not only me seeing these things :-) But, mostly me who get's sooo annoyed with it. Sometimes I need to turn off a video due to headache when the jerkyness is too much

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#37 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 8:21 pm

Just to carry this on a little bit more then................what's the first VHS video tape/s you viewed. Mine was Enter The Dragon & The Exorcist.

Del Phillipson

#38 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Mad Max & The Warriors on the same day.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 13, 2016 8:43 pm | Top

#39 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 8:55 pm

My two first rentals was Tower of Evil and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (under the shelves films) :-) Must have been around 14

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#40 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Not only did some 35mm films produce a somewhat jerky image when panned at 24 fps but they were also prone to some
picture unsteadiness and slight strobing effects even with a projector perfectly setup as regards the intermittent
sprocket , gate film tension , and shutter timing.
So all was not as rosy in the garden as we like to remember.
I know this as I have shown thousands of prints on different 35mm machines.
The lab printing could also leave a lot to be desired at times.
I can remember prints I showed of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK exhibiting side weave in parts of the picture .
Other prints of different films had this as well as vertical film bounce.
It used to do our nuts in as we would have to run a test film to make sure it was not the projectors.
Even good old 70mm prints were not that "perfect".

David Hardy

#41 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 9:14 pm

Nothing "Real" ever is David.

Perfect sometimes, but not possible for hundreds of thousands of miles worth of film, if not more!

Andrew Woodcock

#42 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 9:28 pm

On a PLUS note for DIGITAL restorations ... For me LAWRENCE OF ARABIA has never looked so good.
Its the best I have seen in a Cinema ever.
None of that bloody screen flicker or strobing effects on the desert scenes and a rock steady image.
All 70mm prints I have seen suffered from this problem as did the 35mm ones.
I better say no more on this as I am veering into a DCP discussion on this.
OOOOPPPPSSSS !!!!

David Hardy

#43 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 9:32 pm

I used to sometimes have doubts as to whether or not the SMPTE test film we used was printed rock steady.
as it should have been. hahaha !!!

David Hardy

#44 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 9:45 pm

I did not see any flicker when I saw Lawrenc in 70mm a couple of years ago. Double feature with Interstellar

I can't say I agree David. Film for me is magic

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#45 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 9:57 pm

I've got to agree Vidar, it has a certain feel to it, organic I call it, because it is a "living thing", you put it through your projector,
your screen is now a huge shadow show, no doubt its something within us that goes back to the caveman and his fire flickering
on the wall, or maybe I'm thinking of the local pub, same fire, same cavemen. Anyway, we all have that in common, love of our films.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#46 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 10:04 pm

We are all here solely due to our love of real film and that most certainly includes David.

Andrew Woodcock

#47 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Hope we can turn back to film talk.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#48 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 10:17 pm

Film talk never went away here Vidar!

Andrew Woodcock

#49 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 11:23 pm

Just feeling ill with so much mention of digital stuff (puke) :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#50 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 11:25 pm

Vidar it may be the case that my eyes are somewhat a bit sensitised to shutter flicker even with
film running due to my many decades as a projectionist.
There is always some flicker present no matter how well the shutter is in synch.
It is even more noticeable for me on 70mm films. Its the nature of the beast and comes with the
turf.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Welcome Dino

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor