Not Only Film High Price

#1 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu May 12, 2016 9:36 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I think I can getaway with this post, although its not film, its not digital either.

Nice to see that its not only film that gets high prices.

Werbung: VHS

I still love the smell of film in the morning

The following contents have been linked to this post::

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

RE: Not Only Film High Price

#2 by Clyde Miles , Thu May 12, 2016 9:41 pm

omg, some one put him out of his misery

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu May 12, 2016 10:36 pm

Not only high in price and expectation, its damaged as well, you must admire this guy, he is to salesmanship what the Venus di Milo is to Basketball!

Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 5:20 am

I just donated a full tote of these things to a charity!

Timothy Duncan

#5 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 10:28 am

I can't believe he's jumped on the "DERANN" bandwagon with this. Our local charity shop no longer accepts VHS tapes, in fact I don't think landfill does any more either

Del Phillipson

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 10:29 am

Only Derann ones transferred from superior master material!

And even then, you have to throw in the vcr so someone can actually watch the bloody things! Ha ha.

Come to think about, without owning a fairly high end home cinema amp / receiver now, here in the UK, most latest tv's have nothing to accept a VCR in the way of connectivity.
No Scart, no S-Video, No Component sockets, No Composite......nothing!!!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 13, 2016 10:35 am | Top

#7 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 10:30 am

PMSL only you Andrew

Del Phillipson

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 10:32 am

If they are big box, they sell for 3 pounds and up here in Norway. Certain videos have brought 500. VHS is on the rise, weirdly enough

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 10:37 am

Let's send our lofts worth all to Norway then!

As Del says, even the bin men throw them back at you here!!

Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 11:39 am

Find the right facebook pages. Old horror particularly sell okay

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 12:29 pm

I might be out on a limb here, but I can still watch a video quite happily, they are far more reliable than DVD, no sticking, no messages
"can't read" on the screen. Putting it in perspective, video caned the film hobby overnight, and there are a lot of you lads on here that helped it to, so lets not be self righteous here boys.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#12 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 1:02 pm

I recently threw almost my entire collection of VHS Pre-Recorded tapes.
The only ones I saved were those that have not yet had a DVD/Blu-Ray release yet.
I also kept those ones that were recorded off air TV documentaries that are film related
and will never be released on the shiny discs. However even those are doomed as once they
are burnt to disc those too will be chucked out.
Its plain stupid and nuts to keep tapes that have been released now on discs.

David Hardy

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 1:07 pm

Not always the case David, there are many cases where the DVD has been censored, and the tape has not, so the choice is
yours, as I've said, video tape has proved to be far more reliable than DVD. CDs were supposedly an answer to everything audio,
look at the state of affairs there.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#14 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 1:10 pm

Just one thing that I've noticed ... VHS/Laser Disc looks awful ... on a digital HD TV/Projector. They don't look to bad if you still got your CRT or analog projector.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Shit resolution Vidar, simple as that! Just as anything fed through a Composite, S-Video or Scart feed does now.
That is what is most remarkable about our films on our big screens, even the tiny Super 8mm frame!

The fact they can hold their own right up to a 1080p feed from a Blu Ray source, speaks volumes from some of the later print quality experienced and the machines and lenses we use to project these images so very crisply!

Andrew Woodcock

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 1:29 pm

Before we condemn everything to the skip chaps, I understood that laser disc was superb resolution, now if we are going to
start saying a particular format is this or that, perhaps we should jack in film, the 8mm gauge, however much we kid ourselves,
is never going to be on a par with a good 35mm print, mathematics dictate that, so if we project all these formats on a twenty foot
screen, then 8mm won't be in the running along with video tape, regardless of lenses used or lamp power, as one chap said to me
years ago ago regarding definition, "In many cases with 8mm, you're looking for something that isn't there" and he's right.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Super 8 can really give DVD a run for it's money for image quality even on fairly large screen sizes. It cannot however compete with Blu Ray resolution.

Anything of 500 lines resolution or less falls well below par of any of the above mentioned when displayed on even moderate screen sizes.
At this resolution, you can from afar, even see the gaps in the lines when projected.

Andrew Woodcock

#18 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 1:36 pm

I think it's not correct Andrew. Shit resolution? On a HD screen, it looks crap, but on an analogue screen it's not bad at all. Has something to do with the pixel ration being a problem in converting it to digital, from what I've been told and read. LD does look quite okay on my Epson projector, but awful on my Sony HD and BenQ digital projectors. And these are quite okay for digital, people tend to say, wow, I didn't know projector look that good. It's only a midrange one, but the magic is not present in any of these. Reels is the thing for me, that is the only media which now makes me feel warm and nice inside while watching a film

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#19 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 1:38 pm

I agree on the Super 8 vs DVD, Andrew. Someone tested Star Wars Derann (or was it that Cineavision?) to the BD and the Super 8 was doing very well.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#20 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 2:03 pm

That's just proved what I've said, a good 35mm print, knocks hell out of the completion, on a 20' screen, no contest.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#21 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 2:04 pm

And so on and so forth of course Hugh.
70mm, 4k, 10k...and so it continues..
Resolution will become almost infinite one day, probably not that far away relatively speaking. then all of this discussion, will become laughable, except to say, the gap in time to find a suitable medium to compete with motion picture film historically, will probably remain the largest of any for future advancements.

Now there is real credit for an archaic technology!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 13, 2016 2:10 pm | Top

#22 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 2:13 pm

Hugh that is the reason why I kept only "some" of my VHS tapes. as they are the uncensored or
only complete versions available at the moment.
The same goes for my Laserdiscs.
However I have not kept them because I think they are better quality than DVDs/Blu-Rays
because this is clearly not the case for me.

David Hardy

#23 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 2:14 pm

But film does not have resolution as digital ... I do not think higher res on digital will help anything, the image is dead and sterile. I just watched 4K TV with 4K Blu Ray of the 4K The Martian and it looked awful. Talk about jerky pictures ... Jeez, I won't upgrade to that for sure. Did not look any different than standard Blu Ray to me. So not impressed. Film is the only magical way of watching films ... Videos is a poor substitute, only good for being cheap (both price and feel)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#24 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri May 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Would prefer we talk film though :-/

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#25 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 13, 2016 2:17 pm

There is no way you should be seeing anything Jerky in this day and age Vidar. Huge refresh rates and films shot at incredibly high speeds now.
Long gone are the days when you were restricted to 24fps by cost factors.

Camera Panning projected on a professional cinema 35mm projector could often produce some terribly jerky scenes, I clearly remember. Just because it was shot at the relatively low frame rate to the human eye of 24fps.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 13, 2016 2:21 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Welcome Dino

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor