The value of home movies

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:22 pm

I was sent this link by a friend in Australia, it concerns an Italian immigrant who filmed his new home in Standard 8, so he could show his mother back in Italy. He lived in Darwin, and in 1974, the city was hit by a cyclone and changed forever. After his death his son got out the films and projector and decided to make digital copies. His films created a lot of interest, and copies will now be going into the National Archives in Australia. The quality of the standard 8 is much better than I obtained with two Super 8 cameras.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-24/ol...and-70s/6860422

Robert Crewdson

RE: The value of home movies

#2 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:34 pm

This is a subject dear to my heart as I'll be starting the process of transferring my late Father's standard 8 home movies very soon.Thank you for posting this Robert.

Douglas Warren

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:25 pm

I have lot of "home movie" footage stored away but I cant watch them as most of the people in them are now dead.

David Hardy

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:38 pm

That's the idea David, to preserve our loved ones, and through the magic of film, we can watch them again. Better than looking at a still photograph. I used a sound camera so that I could hear them as well as see them

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:43 pm

Me too. I really miss K40 Sound Film. To me, it was superb and still love the films I took to this day. For colour palette and sharpness, I think this stock was superb.

David brings about a very valid point regarding home movies but to me I take comfort being able to watch some of my loved ones who are no longer with us in the most realistic manner available back then.

I am justglad I didn't solely use just 8mm camcorder tape in the 90's to preserve these priceless memories of just how these people were.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:08 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
NO POSTINGS.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor