Film shooting tips

#1 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:00 am

Anybody still filming? I have bought a new film, Super 8, but if anyone can drop some tips, it would be great.

How much light is needed? What filmstock works for the different cameras? Are all cameras still usable with all filmstock you can still buy? Where do you buy? List of places that develop film still

All such tips would be great to have for beginners or reference for the more advanced.

Thanks

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

RE: Film shooting tips

#2 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:13 am

Vidar,
These links should be of some help for your film making needs:

Self-Reliant Film

Pro8mm

Douglas Warren

#3 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:24 am

Many nice cameras out there but this one is built to last:

Zenit Quarz Super-8 Camera

Douglas Warren

#4 by Eivind Mork , Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:06 am

I bought three Wittner Chrome 200D. It is 200 ISO. I realized a bit too late that the old cameras often used other ISO values. Mine could handle DIN 17 and DIN 23 which is ISO 40 and ISO 160. I am about to send it for developent in Germany now. I really do hope my camera detected this odd ISO value as 160 and thus overexpose with +0.33 which is tolerable. The alternative is that it handled it as ISO 50 which would give an overexposure of +2.33 which would completely ruin the film. +0.33 would mean just a bit too light.

It is possible to use a ND filter (Neutral density) to correct this, but it needs to be placed so the light metering is not behind the ND filter which would mean somewhere inside the camera which makes it difficult.

An other thing to look for is the color temperature for the film. The old films had a colortemperature correct for inside light with strong bulbs. There was a switch for outdoor ligh conditions which would put a color correction filter in front of the film (inside the camera) to asjust for the colder temperatures from the sun (compared to the bulbs). The Wittner Chrome 200D has a color equal to the sun which means you should film outside with the light setting set to indoor. FIlming indoors would be difficult and need an external color correction filter in front.

It could be difficult anyhow to get good lighting conditions inside.

I plan to send my films to Germany tomorrow. Pretty excited :-)

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Ever had doubts about staying in the hobby?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor