Ever had doubts about staying in the hobby?

#1 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:37 pm

This may be a loaded question but here goes: Ever had thoughts of leaving the hobby for good? I am a collector of modest means (no high end projectors or a permanent screening room) and try to keep purchases at a reasonable level. I will admit there's been times since I came back into the fold a year ago that maybe my glory days of doing this are finished. Due to recent health issues I've had to wind any film purchases down to a minimum. Just wondering how other members felt about this topic and thanks to everyone in advance for replies given.

Douglas Warren

RE: Ever had doubts about staying in the hobby?

#2 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:08 am

Hi Doug, any doubts are quickly dispelled when I see a title of a much loved film for sale, I can see where you're coming from, its a sensible question too. This hobby is expensive, but then again, even if you never bought another film, you still have your own little
collection of well loved titles that you can continue to enjoy. Years ago, when I first got into the hobby, you could put all my films into a moderate size cardboard box, but I reckon I had more fun with a handful of titles than what I have now, strange isn't it, but very true.
I suppose part of it is the pleasure we all get from owning a particular film that interests us, could be an up to the minute blockbuster
or one of the silent classics, its all a matter of taste, but it is important to us, then the added bonus of folk wanting a film show, well
what better excuse for a few drinks, good conversation, some nibbles and your film. A hell of a difference to watching TV, it has became
an occasion that some people may never ever experience, a real live picture show, now that will be a conversation starter for them, especially in this digital age, your films just might be more important than you think.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:11 am

I left mid 80's and will never do again. Death is what will stop me. Film forever

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:25 am

Thank you Hugh for your insightful thoughts on the subject. My glory days of collecting were from 1986 to 1990. VCR were still expensive at that time and film prices were reasonable due to the video boom of the era. I quit collecting Super-8 when I got my first video player in late 1989 and sold off my film collection in 1995. Sometimes I feel I'm trying to justify why I spend $20.00 on only 17 minutes of a feature when the whole thing is available for much less on the unmentionable format.Maybe it's a way to hold on to a nostalgic point in my life.

Douglas Warren

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:55 am

Like you Douglas, I don't have a high end projector, or a permanent screening room. I did take a long break from the hobby, but never did I contemplate selling my collection, unlike some of the better known names out there on other forums. I am now back again, for good. The films seem even more special in this digital age.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:08 am

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and words of encouragement. Robert you make an excellent point about how our films are more special now due to most movie media being of a digital format this day and age. Even if I decide to really slow down (or exit) the hobby,I will consider holding on to a few projectors and select films. Once again thank you everybody.

Douglas Warren

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:16 am

Whatever happens Douglas, good luck with any possible future ventures and stay on board here, you just never know! This hobby IS infectious.

Your posts are highly valued here even if you do decide to refrain from collecting for while.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:17 am | Top

#8 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:23 am

Thank you Andrew and you're so very right,this hobby does get into your blood and has a way of staying there.If you'd told me five years ago I would be back in the hobby,I would have said no way. But life changes and here I am once again with film collecting fever!

Douglas Warren

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:31 am

You have much to add here Douglas, irrespective of which ever way your path takes you. Just please remember that.

Collectors learn so much about film releases etc in such a short space of time. Some of this knowledge may be lost forever if people decide to leave the forums just because they are taking a break away from collecting.

We'll call it "Garden Leave" Douglas, as nobody truly loses all interest who was once a keen collector.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:32 am | Top

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:04 pm

Stay with us Douglas, I enjoy reading your comments and posts.

Robert Crewdson

#11 by Tom Photiou , Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:15 pm

It's weird isn't it. As yet i have never left but whenever i buy a film and its condition is the opposite to what it's advertised i have of late been very tempted to leave the hobby, however, like many things in life i find it addictive. Films i pick up at a boot sale on DVD with all the extra's and i ask how much? They say £2 or £3 and i put it back down, yet i'll pay £20 for a 200 footer or even almost this amount for just a trailer, it doesn't make sense does it?. I guess It's watching films the reel way that keeps me in it. I'm sure if i do buy a you no what projector i may stop buying films, but with a collection of well over 350 different items of all sizes and versions including some superb full features, we will always have these.
Once there gone now it will be much more difficult to get them back, if indeed you would be able to. The Bauer experience for me very nearly did it but luckily we have a selection of projectors to continue with. I think if i had sold one of my Elmo's to buy it that may well have pushed me to exit, unfortunately for you all you cant rid of me that easy

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#12 by Bill Parsons , Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Even though I am working on projectors a lot of the time I still enjoy running film on one of my many projectors, mostly to myself nowadays, another curious thing is, although I have Xenon projectors for super 8 and 16mm, plus a video projector I still derive most pleasure from watching 9.5mm sound film on the vox projector, along with all the imperfections.
I did sell a lot of my super 8 features a few years back, but some I wish a had kept, I will most likely end up buying them again, so my view is its best to stick with it even if your enthusiasm wanes from time to time.

Bill Parsons  
Bill Parsons
Date registered 10.07.2015
home: Brookland, Kent, Uk
ThankYou 23

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:12 pm

I know the feeling Bill, there are a handful of features I sold on, I know I have a cat in hells chance of ever seeing them again, still, I'm
grateful for what I have.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#14 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:34 pm

A way of looking at Dougs dilemma of feeling guilty at buying his films is this, he isn't spending vast sums, he maybe thinks it could be better spent elsewhere, fair enough, but it gives him pleasure, and no doubt other folk share his "guilty pleasure" too. There is enough
strife in the world at present and not enough enjoyment, if you never bought film again Douglas, just enjoy what you have, it isn't a competition, plus we want to read your postings.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#15 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:23 pm

I myself. Have. Often. Felt guilty after buying myself a film. The way around this for me is when I lose a friend,morbid this may sound, I think what the he'll, we,ll all be in the place 50 years from now.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#16 by Bill Parsons , Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Thanks Tom that’s cheered us all up

Bill Parsons  
Bill Parsons
Date registered 10.07.2015
home: Brookland, Kent, Uk
ThankYou 23

#17 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:19 pm

When you are on the wrong side of 60, you think, why should I deny myself the pleasure of owning a new film. No one knows how many years they have left.

Robert Crewdson

#18 by Mats Abelli , Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:25 pm

I have never thought about leaving the best hobby in the world. At 60 I built my home cinema, that I have dreamt about since childhood.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Much as my wife would always like for me to feel riddled in guilt for each feature length print I ever buy, I personally don't beat myself up too much for this now.

At the end of the day, I work 12hr nights, days and weekends. Christmas Day / NYE when rostered in and all other bank holidays also.

I've successfully raised 2 children to adulthood paying for all of their needs and wants. I have supported my own Daughter through to 19 years of age.

I've given up the one expensive habit that we both used to share, smoking. So that's saved me a lot in this past twelve months also.

It's money that could always go towards a holiday each year, it's money that could go towards another new piece of furniture or a newer car etc. But we all have to have a hobby and something to give us a buzz from all the mundane things we have to part with our money for, so a few quid spent on the things we enjoy and make all the hard graft seem worthwhile, must be ok in my book and not something you should beat yourself up over.

The way I look upon it is, so long as you don't place yourself thousands in debt for these and so long as you preserve the ones you pay good money for as well as you possibly can. Then hopefully you shouldn't lose too much should the worse case scenario ever occur and you're forced to sell it all through a change of circumstances.

I only hope, this time around, I'm never forced to do so.

Mats Abelli likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#20 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:58 pm

Quite right Andrew. My wife works very long hours as a carer, starting at 7am or before, and sometimes working until 10pm, they don't get paid travelling time, so she might have to work 10 or 11 hours to get 7 hours pay, and when she buys something, and I say it's expensive, she says 'what's the point of me working all these hours if I can't treat myself?'.

The following members like this: Clyde Miles and Mats Abelli
Robert Crewdson

#21 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:04 am

To work 11 or 12 hours and to be only paid for 7, I'd say she's more than entitled to a few little treats here and there Robert!

Good on you Mrs Crewsdon and tell your husband, nothing is too expensive for his wonderful wife! Ha ha ha.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:06 am | Top

#22 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:34 am

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#23 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:12 pm

I have some doubts about staying in the hobby every time I buy a print that is not quite up to scratch. ( no pun intended )
or I find that much cherished print has faded or shows signs of V.S.
I never do leave it though.
Even if did I don't think it would last long.
Strange thing is like Bill Parsons I get great pleasure in showing vintage 9.5mm silent/sound films even though they too have
intrinsic faults. Funny thing that !

David Hardy
Last edited Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:13 pm | Top

#24 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:52 am

Strangely enough, I was tempted to scrap all my 8mm and move across to video, this was around '77, I was buying Italian westerns
and the chap I was buying from said it would be cheaper buying them on video. At this time video was not mass market, the only
person I had heard of using it was a man in town with a Pet Shop. The video recorders were Philips, who had a terrible reputation of
altering formats with every new model, so after a lot of careful thought, realising the money spent on film, I decided to hang on in there, I reckon I'm in for the long haul, even though it is in the last throes, I still love film, even the off colour ones.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#25 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:57 am

Just reading Roberts comments on how women like his wife are exploited makes my blood boil, I might hold a record here, when
all the office girls joined my Union, for Builders, as they were impressed on how I'd sorted out one girl being victimised, I came in off
holiday to sort it out, got her a computer course and a dozen new members!

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
CRAVEN SPEAKERS

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor