RE: Ever had doubts about staying in the hobby?

#26 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:34 am

for me personally, the fascination with film only ever extends to stuff in my lifetime. No way will I ever be buying a Pathe Ace I have to say.
It's all about the era you first discovered film in to me, and sadly mine was far later, for better , for worse.
We shall wait and see.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:10 am | Top

#27 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:47 am

The problem for my wife Hugh, is that the company she works for has a lot of 15 minute calls, which the County Council say they are trying to eliminate, been trying for two years at least. So you travel maybe 5 miles, spend 15 mins there, logging in, logging out, recording notes, as well as giving medication, and anything else, then drive somewhere else for 15 mins. You don't get paid for all this travel, just about 40p a mile for fuel, then sometimes they query your mileage figures, as they have their own estimations. Traffic can be bad, and some people complain if you are a few mins late. She had been working 15 hours most days, and end up without 8 or 9 hours pay, the rest is unpaid travel. The Government has said that travel time should be paid: is there another election looming?

Andrew, do you collect copies of films made before your time, or is it only equipment you wouldn't buy?

Robert Crewdson

#28 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:50 am

Equipment Robert. Films, I have lots of old ones. George Formby, L&H etc
Still prefer to collect the later post 1982 Derann stuff though.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:52 am | Top

#29 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:22 am

I have the Derann George Formby films, with the exception of 'Off the Dole', I think it was, which was the first that came out to my knowledge. I came across my copy of 'Brats', L&H, that was a Derann release, which was unusual for them I thought.

Robert Crewdson

#30 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:10 am

I was quite discouraged in the beginning. My first machine was unpredictable and damaged film without warning. It's been trial and error with different projectors since. I have come to know which machines are going to be better built, easy to work on, easy on film, etc. And the more bells and whistles a particular unit has, also has increased potential for problems at some point, so i keep it simple. it's been a learning process. But because I love older technology, as well as movies, I've stuck with it. I realize this stuff is at least as old as I am, so like myself, is a bit rundown and shows its age. Like an old automobile or any other machine, film projectors require TLC and occasional maintenance. You can't run them every day or it will speed up their demise. It's all about the experience of 'reel' film for me. I'm hanging on to it as long as I can make it last.

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Vidar Olavesen
Timothy Duncan
Last edited Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:20 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
CRAVEN SPEAKERS

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor