Albert S. Howell

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:39 pm

This is a picture of Albert S. Howell, taken in 1923, with the first of his Filmo 70, the first spring driven 16mm camera. Howell was the brains behind the company, Bell left quite early into the partnership, but the company continued to use his name. Howell's original patents for this camera can be viewed in Google Patents. It was such a great design that it remained virtually unchanged for the 50 plus years these cameras were in production. The threading system is very easy to use. Howell patented many other inventions, projectors, film cutters, perforaters, camera cases.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Robert Crewdson
Last edited Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:43 pm | Top

RE: Albert S. Howell

#2 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:46 pm

A man we should be grateful to, I understand that the Bell & Howell projectors were the first to use the
design of spools in line, rather than one above the other, a style that caught on. I have found the B & H
machines to be very kind to film, even warped or other imperfections just go through without trouble.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:50 pm

I think the man was a genius. More than 90% of all silent films were shot on Bell& Howell cameras with British made Cooke 's lenses. You're right Hugh, they brought about both projector reels at the top instead of top and bottom at the front. Here is an R.CA. projector with both reels at the front

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and
Robert Crewdson
Last edited Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:28 am | Top

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:31 pm

This is a very informative post Robert. I am a great admirer of Bell & Howell equipment.

David Hardy

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:19 pm

Me too David. Did you know the current owners of the name destroyed al the company records?. Their products don't have a very good reputation now.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
How they did those special effects.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor