How they did those special effects.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:30 pm

Even if you can't afford to currently shoot Super 8 or 16m, these two books make interesting reading for those who want to know how some effects were achieved in the days when it required skill and perfect timing, rather than a computer program. Written by H.A. V. Bulleid (1912-2009), son of a famous locomotive designer. He was a columnist in 'Amateur Cine World'. 'Trick Effects with the Cine Camera' first appeared in July 1936, the much larger 'Special Effects in Cinematography' appeared in 1954. His work was read by the professionals in the industry. Subjects include; animation, superimposition, split screen, optical effects, mirrors, fades, wipes, travelling matte, sound effects, and much more.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Robert Crewdson

RE: How they did those special effects.

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:13 pm

I used to do stop motion with my Elmo camera back in the late 70's ... My friend was sliding the lawn with a hockey stick and no leg movement :-) Good fun

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:07 pm

I tried it with a Standard 8mm camera, I had lots of ideas, but unfortunately I had to help take care of a disabled person, and I didn't have the free time to experiment. I did try split screen and superimposition, as I had a Super 8 film rewinder.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Robert Crewdson

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:51 pm

I never knew that was the son of the Spam Can locomotive engineer Robert.

David Hardy

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Oliver Bulleid designed locomotives for the Southern Railway.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Laurel & Hardy poster

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor