The Trap. 4 x 400ft colour sound. Walton release.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:25 pm

On average, most 4 x 400ft features on super 8 run for around 70/75 minutes so most of them are almost certainly abridged as most collectors know, this film is no exception, Walton’s most annoying thing was to abridge just about every film they ever released, even the Tom & Jerry’s. This super 8 print of the trap is around 30/35 minutes short of the full feature. On the up side, the editing is fairly good with no obvious cuts so it does move things on a bit quicker which isn’t a bad thing here. On the down side, THIS is one film that would benefit massively from a scope release but the only option was,(as far as I’m aware), was this 4:3 flat version.

A British-Canadian adventure western film directed by Sidney Hayers, starring Oliver Reed and Rita Tushingham. Shot in the wilderness of the Canadian province of British Columbia, the film is an unusual love story about a rough trapper and a mute orphan girl.

The film has excellent location photography (marred only by studio snow and some very obvious process shots) and a brilliantly staged action sequence when the trapper is hunted by a pack of snarling wolves which thankfully Walton left intact.
This isn’t a classic or memorable film in any way but Oliver Reed is always a great screen presence and the score by Ron Goodwin along with the location photography does make this a pretty good movie.
This print has excellent unfaded colours on Fuji stock with a good sharp image. The sound is good with only a single stripe, no balance track and it doesn’t affect the image one bit, it is sharp edge to edge. Rita Tushingham plays a mute so never utters a single word, but her facial expressions are all she needs for the part, she does it very well. Oliver Reed is loud and clear and as always, is a great screen presence. We’ve had this print for at least 30/35 years so it has stood the test of time very well.

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: The Trap. 4 x 400ft colour sound. Walton release.

#2 by Eivind Mork , Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:38 pm

The print looks really great! I have added the review to S8D! :-)

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:13 pm

It is a good clean print, the images are ok but dont show the colours as good as they are on screen. Walton were odd with their releases in the way many of them didn't make it into catalouges they produced. Oliver Reed is the reason why this film works so well, It's no classic by any means but always a good viewing.

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:34 pm

I only have the 400’ and never seen the complete fiom. Maybe time to do so :-)

Tom Photiou likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:31 pm

Not sure if this film was in the main catalogue or not. It was listed on a supplemental sheet. Walton Films really annoyed me with the obsession of cutting everything to a standardised time. Cruise Cat had a really obvious cut. Wish they had issued more scope features too, I think the only feature was Hannie Caulder. Although they did release a few 200ft and 400ft titles.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Tom Photiou likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

Last edited 03.12.2024 | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:32 pm

I agree on the edits David, one of my brothers first colour sound films in the mid 70s was the Tom and Jerry cartoon The Truce hurts. The colours are still good today but the edit is so obvious. I assume it was all to do with the license but again, why edit every film with only a few exceptions which I think were the third man was a full feature as was the one that got away.
We had Hannie Caulder for decades as a flat print but when I first saw the full feature on telly I was surprised at how much was cut out, fortunately, we now have a 16mm feature print.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 03.12.2024 | Top

The Three Musketeers, Derann 5 x 600ft
PIRATE TREASURE serial from U8

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor