So why join a forum?

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:09 pm

I thought I'd ask this question in view of the dozens of people who sign up and never join in, for what reason do you join? How many join are actually in the hobby?
From what I've seen over the last year or so some people ask a question but if they dont get a reply within an hour they dissapear after throwing a paddy, what is that that all about?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 03.01.2024 | Top

RE: So why join a forum?

#2 by Paul Browning , Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:35 pm

Yes Tom, that fence is pretty full, not chirp in a car load ..............

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Don Cunningham , Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:58 pm

I still come by daily. Most of the conversations are not something I will chime in on or relate to gauges/films of my interest. Those that used to post about certain things are not around here anymore and I have thought about removing myself from here.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#4 by Tom Photiou , Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:22 pm

Anyone can start a topic though

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:38 pm

This forum has 339 members ,if you look at the members lists numerous persons just join and say nothing.Is there an ulterior motive?What I can’t imagine unless they wish to just watch what people say????Maybe there’s a site where you sign up to say how many sites you can sign up to and say nothing?
It’s a hobby for me,but to be fair this has been a job as well and those who know me know I have been in this environment for the last fifty years plus.
I suppose one can hope the non speakers will maybe suddenly wake up and say something. Maybe the administrators might consider any future prospective members should say on the forum what there interests are and why they wish to join.
This subject has been discussed before and to quote “you can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink”
Maybe this thread will bring some replies ,I’m not holding my breath 😂

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:19 pm

Good points Gwyn, I think where I'm coming from is this,
Don made a very good point that many are no longer on here, I get that, weird that they choose to do the same thing on FB, we all know how good that is, Geds just lost everything he's done and they are next to impossible to contact. However, anyone can start a thread of their interest, it may not get everyone talking, (as I know only too well) but that fine, each to their own, but like Gwyn mentioned, 339 members on here, are you serious that this many take the trouble to join and never want to bring anything up? weird!

I'm also aware some people strongly disagree with others and there may be a clash but the easiest way out of that is to simply not reply isn't it?

I myself left a FB group i only recently joined, the reason? An apology was made in advance about a comedy film "in case some people may be offended by the choice of words used in the film, it was a carry on film". I cant abide this PC nonsense we're seeing on a daily basis. If anyone is offended that easily they shouldn't be on any social media at all especially on a platform talking about all things film where people talk about the best era in film, the 60s/70s 80s and 90s. I made no comment as these days I can no longer tolerate the saps of this world.

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:13 pm

I think we are quite a well “reserved “group and accept each others opinion.Matters are resolved without too much trouble.
Maybe those non participants join to see if the forum will shall we say “liven up a bit” with the content,or are we so unexciting when they realise it’s only film we talk about.Pink/red vinegar smells and the like what could be more exciting.
Still if you can change Mary Poppins from a U to a PG not much more to say.lol.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#8 by Greg Perry , Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:14 am

It does seem strange that people sign up and make no attempt to participate. Since our forum allows viewing without requiring a membership, one can reasonably believe that they have already checked the forum out, presumably liked what they saw, and have then decided to join up. Once they are a member they can then post on the forum, and yet we see very, very little.

On another note, many of the new member requests do not follow the requirement that a full first and last name is used. Easily 85+% of the new members try signing up using a made up name, like "monstoys". This then requires Vidar to email them and try to get the correct info before adding them as a member.

As Gwyn stated, we are not a nasty bunch here by any means. Things would likely be more lively if we had more postings from a broader range of members, including the new ones. Nonetheless, I am very grateful for the dedicated members here who do post on a consistent basis.

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan
Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan say Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#9 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:42 pm

Did you remove the restrictions? It was only one part that was open to all, all others need you to be a member. Also you need to ask for VIP membership to tak about anything, non film related stuff

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#10 by Greg Perry , Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:15 pm

Vidar,

You are correct. No changes have been made to access.

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#11 by Tom Photiou , Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:53 pm

🤣🤣🤣 you got to laugh, over 200 have looked at this post 🤣🤣🤣

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou