Super 8 Database is 4 years old today!

#1 by Greg Perry , Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:22 pm

Super8database.com continues to move forward--now with over 9,000 film records!

Congrats to Eivind Mork for making this happen, and to the many individual collectors who continue to share film box art covers to the database.

The following members like this: Ruben Torrejon, Graham Sinden, Martin Dew and Gwyn Morgan
Eivind Mork sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

RE: Super 8 Database is 4 years old today!

#2 by Tom Photiou , Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:27 pm

FOUR YEARS!!! Where has that time gone?
Well done to all involved with this website, one of the most valuable sites for anyone in the hobby or those wanting to join the hobby and needing information on equipment and films as well as convention information and videos and links. Pretty much a one stop shop for the hobby.

Greg Perry likes this
Greg Perry and Eivind Mork say Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Graham Sinden , Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Thank you to everyone involved for making it happen. I love the Super 8 database and often look in when I have a few minutes to spare. A great source of covers also.

Graham S

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Greg Perry and Eivind Mork say Thank You!
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:56 pm

Wow, how time flies. Is it really four years already? A great project amd hope it will keep growing

Greg Perry likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Eivind Mork , Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:35 am

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #2
FOUR YEARS!!! Where has that time gone?

My thought exactly. The time has been flying!

I have had help from so many friends, so it is hard to name them all. Without this help, the project wouldn't have been much.

But one person needs to be named: My right hand in the project, Greg, has been crucial for the state the project is in now. Greg has put in countless hours into the project. Without his help, I am not sure where the project would be today. So thank you, Greg, for joining this crazy project! It has been great fun discussing all sorts of challenges in the project with you and see the joint work build up during the years. And any day now, we will pass 3000 films with a cover!

In December 2018, as we worked for more than a year before we got public, I shared my little secret with Greg in a message where we discussed a projector matter:

Zitat

I am working hard these days on a new project. This is a secret for now, and only a couple of others know about it yet :-) I am working to make a new web page with a database of all films produced on Super 8 by the big distributors. It will be hosted on super8database.com (not up yet, but the domain name is registered). I am getting help from my wife doing the programming as we are both developers, and the last two three weeks we have put down quite a bit of work getting the technical parts up and running. We are nowhere near done with the programming, but the main functionality start to fall into place.

I start off by registering films in a spreadsheet. It is done this way since it is quicker. Then I import it to the database for further editing online. I have written down 200 films from catalogs so far. Enough to get some representative data for the programming. But it is a LONG way getting it all registered. I will try to get cover photos for them, tags, (main)actors/directors/writers, link to IMDB, runtime etc. It will automatically show related films based on the entered data.

Here are some screenshots on the current state :-) Some of the data is bogus, just entered to trigger the behavior I look for. And the design is not finished :-)
[link removed in this post]

Please don't mention this to others yet. I will wait to announce it until it is in a much better state. It will be publicly available without login and all resources can be freely used. I will provide export to spreadsheets so people can download and do whatever they want with it. The APIs will also be publicly available.

And here is one of the screenshots I sent with bogus data:

And here is Greg's reply:

Zitat
Now, to the most important topic: Super8Database!
All I can say is FANTASTIC! What a great project and how helpful a resource this will be to not only collectors, but dealers and sellers as well!
Thank you for sharing this with me and I will certainly respect the privacy of this. If I can help with your project with any type of testing or in any other small way please let me know.

If you had known that you would spend countless hours in this project for years, Greg ;-) It certainly hasn't been in any "small way" but in a huge way!

Mark Williams likes this
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Last edited 02.16.2024 | Top

#6 by Mark Williams , Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:29 pm

Congrats!!!

Keep up the excellent work :)

Mark Williams  
Mark Williams
Date registered 02.08.2024
ThankYou 1

#7 by Eivind Mork , Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:38 pm

And just a few days later, we broke 9100 films! Greg had been busy while I slept, and pushed us past 9100!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#8 by Tom Photiou , Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:11 pm

We've replaced many of our tatty old labels with new ones from the database, and they print out the correct size, no setting up necessary, makes things so much easier, thanks to all involved.

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#9 by Martin Dew , Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:15 pm

Yup, I totally agree with everything said already.

Eivind and the team have done an amazing job with the site. I look things up on there constantly. I also use the perfectly proportioned artwork for my movie boxes. How lucky we are to have a site like this site for hobbyists.

I look forward to hopefully contributing more title description content in the future.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#10 by Lincoln Thorn , Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:27 pm

Thanks to everyone that manages and updates this great resource! It’s a great tool to learn about how much cool stuff was on S8!

Tom Photiou likes this
Lincoln Thorn  
Lincoln Thorn
Date registered 02.16.2022

The Haunting (1963)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor