Ugo grassi and his New Lamp for the xenon machine

#1 by Paul Browning , Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:15 pm

Great new, Ugo Grassi, has announced he is now able to order this new improved lamp for the Elmo Lighthouse GS 1200 XENON Projector at 350 euro's . this is an improved lamp over the original Hitachi lamp with 1000 lamp hours, improved brightness and colour temp, all very good news if you have one of these projectors or were thinking of getting one. Now lets see who comes forward first, with all the talk on the other channel about this lamp, talk is cheap, lets see who supports Ugo, and puts there money where there mouth is ................

Greg Perry likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

RE: Ugo grassi and his New Lamp for the xenon machine

#2 by Graham Sinden , Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:21 pm

Hi Paul,

Could you put a link up for the other channel as I can't find any discussion about it on there? I assume it's the 8mm forum.

Regarding the 1000 lamp hours. Is it dependent on how often the lamp is striked? For example if you use the projector every day but only to show a few short cartoons every time on 200ft reels is the lamp life reduced to 900 hours for example?

BTW I don't have any Zenon projectors, quite happy with Halogen.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#3 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:33 pm

This is very good news for users of these projectors, I dont have one myself but it's always good to see something made available again.
Ugo did a very good thread some years ago where he showed a total refurbishment of a GS Xenon he sold.

Graham Sinden likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#4 by Paul Browning , Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:34 pm

Hi Graham, its on the super 8 facebook page, i think your reasoning on the lamp hours applies to most lamps regardless of the gas inside the lamp i would have thought ?. These figures are from Ugo's own upload today, i think they close to or better than the original Toshiba lamp hours, as said by Ugo, these are the same lamps he put a lot of effort into getting right some time ago, with the help of other people in the know. Just to add obviously i cannot edit now, but these are the Toshiba lamps, not the Hitachi lamps my first upload mentioned ........

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Graham Sinden sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

Last edited 01.22.2024 | Top

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:23 pm

Iwould love a spare lamp for mine, but at the time, only way to be able this to sell my house. Government takes all our money these days

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:25 pm

By the way, is it difficult to change? Heard it was kinda dangerous if you touch the lamp or anything like that. I am a clumsy guy

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#7 by Paul Browning , Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:01 pm

Hello Vidar, Ugo Grassi is going to make a video to show this being done, but that doesn't make it easier, you still need the dexterity to do the work if you don't have someone capable close to you. Replacing the lamp is tricky but more so for the new one because they have to be handled with great care, once done the lamp and reflector need to be adjusted to each other, and then some voltages have to be set up, and one particular measurement needs the use an oscilloscope, which i have, but still on a learning curve with it. I think i could do the mechanical stuff,swop out ect, and the alignment, but would struggle with the last bit, but i have someone i could go to, who's very good and i'm confident could do that bit. I already have some spare lamps the toshiba one's so i'm good to go, but i have four of these beauties, i love em, regardless of what people say they are very well made, and if maintained correctly, are as reliable as any of the other high end super 8 machines, 40 years on .................

Tom Photiou likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#8 by Graham Sinden , Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:48 pm

Paul,

What are the rules on Zenon lamps regarding when to change them to avoiding exploding? Is it dangerous to change one that is slightly warm?

I'm sure I read one exploded at a BFCC many years ago.

Graham S

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Tom Photiou
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#9 by Tomek Lecocq , Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:43 pm

Xenon lamps are dangerous, even when cold. The xenon gas inside the bulb is under high pressure. So you have to be very careful when manipulating these, because they can explode when badly handled. It's not the gas that is dangerous when it explodes, but the pieces of glass...
You need to wear gloves and protection for your eyes before opening the lamp packaging or the projector lamphouse.
But if you have the right protections and are careful, then it's not that difficult to handle.

Greg Perry likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Tomek Lecocq  
Tomek Lecocq
Date registered 02.20.2019
ThankYou 3

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:26 am

I would need it done somewhere then, this sounds tricky. Ugo is doing this service too?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#11 by Paul Browning , Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:34 pm

Hi Vidar, i don't think he is, he is helpful though. He's just suddenly appeared again on the facebook, repairing or refurbishing a friends xenon he bought recently. What is the problem with yours then ?

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#12 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:07 pm

For the moment it has nothing to do with the bulb, it has a claw that is not properly retracting, so picture is unsteady, it is currently in Netherlands waiting to be fixed. Bill Parsons gave him directions to fix it. But, I been using it quite a lot during the Eight years or so I had it, assuming the Lifeof the bulb soon is over. Do not dare change bulb myself

Paul Browning likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#13 by Paul Browning , Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:03 pm

Oh right, well if anyone can help you fix it Bill's your man. I have one that will not strike, so it needs to be sorted. i hope you get it sorted, just adjustment of the claw setting cam, never done one, looks a bit tricky though, getting the balance once adjusted is where the expertise comes in, thats when years of experience count..............

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

Last edited 01.28.2024 | Top

#14 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:51 pm

I'll second that mate, its easy to take stuff apart, getting it back together properly with the right adjustments needs the qualified touch as I know only too well when playing

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#15 by Ugo Grassi , Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:16 pm

I think someone is talking about me... ;-)
Happy to stay here. Thanks to the administrators.
If you have questions about the new lamps I'll try to answer.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Paul Browning
Ugo Grassi  
Ugo Grassi
Date registered 02.03.2024

Blackpool Film Collectors' Convention 2024 dates
Eumig Claw arm/pin change Pt 4 Almost there

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor