RE: Pictures from Blackpool 2023

#26 by Eivind Mork , Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:40 pm

Yes, it was a great event for sure! The organizers did a great job and lots of people and dealers. Too bad it is year until next time. But great to see you there, Mark! I hope you got that film we talked about 😉

Mark Mander likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#27 by Mark Mander , Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:04 am

Yes I did Elvind, pockets empty but the screens full with purchases, nice to see you there ,Mark

Eivind Mork likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#28 by Mark Mander , Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:07 am

by Paul Browning , Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:53 pm

Last year it was Norman wisdom ???, this year " a night to remember " oh the irony, if you are trying to encourage younger people to take an interest in the hobby, don't show boring b/w films from 50 years ago ...........

What would you think would intise a young fresh crowd then Paul? Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#29 by Graham Sinden , Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:33 am

Paul, I can understand what you are saying but you have to remember this is run from volunteers and it all depends on what the projectionists have in their collection. I remember when David Guest ran it, he had a massive collection of films and showed more colour films as it was he who started this Friday night feature showing. Maybe you could loan out one of your films for showing next year? What would be a good title to show, an action film I think but one that is family friendly?

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#30 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:55 am

Quote: Paul Browning wrote in post #17
Last year it was Norman wisdom ???, this year " a night to remember " oh the irony, if you are trying to encourage younger people to take an interest in the hobby, don't show boring b/w films from 50 years ago ...........

Perhaps the younger people would also realize the film was 65 years old, not 50.

Most of my collection is B&W and made before 1940. Lots of silent ones, too. And I wasn't even born yet when A NIGHT TO REMEMBER came out. And I've never even seen it!

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

#31 by Tom Photiou , Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:49 pm

Looks like everyone had a good time, thanks for the pictures.

Does anyone know what the best bargain was this year?
Regarding the film show, It is a difficult one as it does depend on who has what films which is understandable, the titanic film is one we have and I think I prefer this version to the long drawn out 90s epic.
As films have been around for many decades now, I wonder if between collectors this may sound like an idea, (just a thought),
Throughout the day of shows, "through the decades", we know there's no shortage of the old films so the challenge would be to gather up 200ft or 400ft and/or 600ft releases from,
1950s (not too sure whats around on 8mm from the 50s STD 8 only i guess), /1960s / 1970s /1980s / 1990s /2000s / 2010s even the 2020s.
We know there is tons of material of super 8 films released in these decades so it would be interesting to see a film from each of decades, It could be cartoons, a short documentary, an abridged version of a feature, trailer reels, pretty much anything leading up to the present day releases and see the differences in quality as well.
If there's a feature in there to be shown, maybe like cinesea, put out a choice of titles months before of what could be available and see what the reactions are like to decide the winner to be shown.
Just my thoughts as an idea. I know there are those who will say I've never been so what would I know? I do want to, but at present time a family member is in need of care which at weekends I do above anything else.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#32 by Mark Mander , Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:04 pm

That's fine Tom but as Paul is as always so negative about Blackpool it would be interesting to hear his views on what should be shown, he's been online here but hasn't commented, he's not normally shy giving his opinion , not going is one thing but to put it down each year is another, the film shows on offer showed old and new releases over the weekend so something for everyone, you could also moan about it and not go, it seems it can't intise old collectors like Paul let alone new ones,Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#33 by Del Phillipson , Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:10 pm

I would have to say, it was the best convention I've been to since the Derann days. A fabulous turn out, and I can only see this event getting bigger.
There was also a great selection of films on all gauges I thought, I managed to pick up the feature of Robin Hood which I have been after for quite a few years, as well as add reels, cartoons, shorts on super 8mm, Bond (Agfa), Demitrius And The Gladiator (LPP) and Oliver the Eighth on 16mm. Fabulous to see Gary Brocklehurst and his good lady there too, and many many familiar faces, too many to mention (they know who they are). All in all, a fabulous event, well done to all concerned.

Greg Perry likes this

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

New podcast episode - Report from the Blackpool convention 2023
$40 EFP lamps???

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor