Elmo ST-1200HD green film path parts

#1 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:24 pm

I know Van Eck sells the green guide just under the sprocket near the rear of the machine, and I'm wondering if that's the only one on the ST-1200HD that is known for scratching. Mine is still in good shape, but you never know when these things will start to scratch. I know Van Eck sells several different green guides for the GS-1200, so is it correct to assume that he only makes the ones for both machines that have the "scratch" reputation? Also, are the ones he makes much less prone to wear? If so, I might pick up one and install it, just to be on the safe side.

I have also read over the years of people removing many of the green guides on the ST-1200 models and turning them into manual threaders. No one has gone into more detail, and the parts are certainly easy enough to remove, but obviously additional rollers would have to be installed around the machine to compensate. Easier said than done, I think, since you would not only have to source rollers, but also fabricate a way to attach them. I have enough junker machines to source from, but I'm not sure how to proceed after that. Also, my one and only manual threader, an Elmo FP standard 8 only machine, has "clips" around the sprocket that are unlocked for threading, and then locked again when threading is complete. I assume something like that would also have to be fabricated for the Elmo ST-1200.

And again, my main concern is scratching - and if Van Eck's part for the ST-1200 is much less prone to wear, I'd probably be better off just installing one and calling it a day.

Thanks

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

RE: Elmo ST-1200HD green film path parts

#2 by Thomas Peters , Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:39 am

Quote: Thomas Peters wrote in post #1
Also, my one and only manual threader, an Elmo FP standard 8 only machine, has "clips" around the sprocket that are unlocked for threading, and then locked again when threading is complete

Actually, I was mistaken. The Elmo FP (with no letter or number after it), while a manual threader, does not have the clips. Instead, it has plastic rollers beside the sprockets to keep the film in place. My machine that has the clips is an old Bell and Howell Regent that I had forgotten about -- so I actually have 2 manual threaders. The Regent is kind of useless to me now, since the ancient incandescent bulb burned out long ago, and the projector is not a good candidate for a halogen conversion. Also, there is a rubber piece inside that drives the intermittent which dried out and deformed, so the few times I actually used the projector with film, it was very noisy with inconsistent speed. I did, however, find a way to fix it online using a large rubber grommet, but I've never tried it, mostly because I would still have the bulb problem.

The Elmo FP, btw, is a very nice machine -- my only issue with it is that the lens is only 25mm. It came with a zoom converter attached, but this will only increase the image by 25%. It dims the picture, though, since it is fogged up and I could never get it all apart to clean the parts of the lens that suffered from it. Luckily, the prime lens was easy to clean. It currenly is using a DCA lamp. which is still working (knock on wood), but I am ready for a conversion to the EJM lamp courtesy of a junker FP-8 machine that uses a halogen. It is a very similar machine, though it is dual 8 and auto-threading. I've taken the lamp holder out of the FP-8, and it looks like it will be as simple as unscrewing the old screws from the FP, removing the existing bulb holder, screwing in the one from the FP-8, then just connecting the halogen socket to the old wires.

It would have been wonderful if Elmo had used the same design of the FP for an FP Super 8 version. While my FP can be synced with a tape recorder via an additional sync device from Elmo, according to the manual, I believe Elmo also made a magnetic sound-on-film version of the FP for standard 8.

What this all comes down to in my mind is that Elmo, as did most if not all 8mm projector manufacturers, overdeigned and added bells and whistles where they weren't needed, and now 50 years on we are still battling the auto-threading nightmares that have the tendency to scratch our precious films as well as eat them alive during the threading process.

The FP: https://van-eck.net/en/spare-part-finder...merk=52&type=FP
To sync with a tape recorder: https://van-eck.net/en/spare-part-finder...pe%20Sound%20FP

Elmo TP8: magnetic sound-on-film:

The TP8 in action:

Elmo should have proceeded with that design for Super 8 sound.

Also, here's a manual threader for 8mm I can't identify. Anyone know?

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.17.2023 | Top

#3 by Thomas Peters , Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:16 pm

Had I not seen the guy load an 8mm reel, i would have sworn that was a 16mm machine. I've had no luck identifying it. Looks like at least 1200 foot capacity, too.

I can't believe I've never seen that projector before. If it wasn't 11 years old, I'd post a question there.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#4 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:16 pm

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Anyone? Anyone? Something D-O-O economics. Voodoo economics?

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#5 by Thomas Peters , Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:39 pm

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.30.2023 | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:05 pm

On this subject I can only go my own experience with my 1200HDs. I think it's common knowledge that the second sprocket green guide is the one of the problems for scratching when they wear, this was one of the reasons I bought a dozen years ago for spares, that dozen is down to five or six now, luckily all brand new for when i need them.
Another that can cause a problem is worn head pressure pads. When they wear down far enough they cause scratching to the far edge of the film. I've never bought any of the guides from Van Ek, I still dont trust the 3D printer plastics that are used although it is good that these things are available.
I'm sure there are other areas but again, we all know how old these projectors are getting now and with fewer and fewer spares around scratching may well become a bigger problem as time marches on.

Thomas Peters sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#7 by Thomas Peters , Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:26 pm

Thanks Tom. I've ordered several times from Van Eck, but not for those film guides. I've bought Eumig motor mounts, and a few gears and pulleys for an Elmo ST-800. But those parts don't touch the film. They seem sturdy enough, but I agree we don't yet know how long those 3d printed green guides will last before they start to scratch like a cat in heat!

I know I covered a lot in this thread -- I'm still hoping that someone can ID that Elmo manual-threading Standard 8mm projector in the youtube vid. I'm really scratching my head on that one.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#8 by Thomas Peters , Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:24 am

I started to talk about the ST-800 sctatch parts here: https://www.reelmagicfilmforum.com/t1038556f20-The-Elmo-ST-A-Neglected-Projector.html#msg50309

Now it seems as though the #2 arrow part in the GS-1200 is black, not green. I assume it is essentially the same, though -- hard to tell from pics.

I've found people talking about the mods to the GS-1200, and to an ST-180. The long and short of it is that on the ST-1200, they replaced the #2 arrow part with a black "snubber" roller (I believe this is imperative to be there to eliminate wow and flutter for the sound) -- so that's a fix that can be made to the ST-800 with some ingenuity. I need to figure that one out. There are pics of a mod on other machines, but the trick is finding a part from junker donor machine and attaching it properly to the ST-800. You can possibly remove arrow part #1 if you are willing to manually thread. I don't believe that is necessary once threading is done, but I could be wrong. I need to relook at my ST-1200 as well to see what is going on there.

There is also another green part between #1 and #2 right before the pinch rollers -- that's a potential source of wear, too, but on mine it looks like the side edges are raised enough right now to prevent the image area from being scratched.

Even with mods, you need to consider the fact that black pinch rollers can also wear down and potential scratch, and I know some machines have ones where the center where the image is is recessed. It seems like a no-brainer that they should have been designed that way from the start -- maybe there is a reason they weren't.

Also, if the ST-800 is converted to be a manual threader, it will be a bummer not to have that inching knob.

All I know is that after almost 30 years with these Elmos, I'm still not completely comfortable with their film safety, and I'm still trying to solve the problem.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 12.08.2023 | Top

#9 by Thomas Peters , Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:20 am

Van Eck only seems to have one green part now for the GS-1200, and still has the one for the ST-1200. The parts for the GS-1200 also fit some of the other Elmos it says.

Maybe no one was buying the other green parts?

Maybe he should make them glow-in-the-dark!

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Sankyo 702
Bell and Howell 33SR user manual?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor