Need Advice on Cameras + Film Stock for College Class

#1 by Jill Phillips , Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:08 am

Hi there! I'm a novice collector, but I need some advice on cameras, film stock, and equipment.

For a college assignment, I need to replicate the look of a 70's film authentically, not digitally. I do not need the final product to be nice and clear looking, in fact I'm purposefully aiming to use expired stock to get some heavy looks of aging and decay for the purposes of the assignment. What do you guys recommend in terms of cameras, film stock, and even audio equipment that would be authentic to the 70's movie-making process? I'm on a student's budget so I can't go totally crazy. I'm thinking 16mm.
I'm not very experienced, so please go easy on me!

If anyone knows any good resources/articles, too, please let me know! Thank you all so much!

Jill Phillips  
Jill Phillips
Date registered 09.20.2021

Last edited 09.18.2023 | Top

RE: Need Advice on Cameras + Film Stock for College Class

#2 by Don Cunningham , Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:10 pm

I have been shooting film for a while. In fact, I just wrapped up a short I've been working on for 6 years this past Friday. For 16mm I would recommend a Bolex H16 or Bell and Howell Filmo. If buying from Ebay, you may get one that works "some times."

Film stock: I would recommend a color stock. Negative has more flexibility but for that authentic 70's look, look for Ektachrome 7285, not the newer formula. If you shoot negative, you could manipulate the image, but I'm not a fan of that myself.

Reach out via DM if you want more specifics :)

Tom Photiou likes this

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

Bought two films at the club
Maurice Leakey has died

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor