Packaging for a projector

#1 by Greg Perry , Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:53 pm

Many of us have probably received a film projector that was poorly packed for shipping. Typically this results in a variety of damages--from broken feet to cracked cases, broken knobs, and much more.

A while back I received a Sankyo 800 which was packed properly. The projector was double-boxed and had crunched-up wrapping paper inside the second box. The projector was in its original factory box with styrofoam inserts and was then wrapped securely in bubble wrap. Dense foam 'swimming pool noodles' (the green and blue bits in the photo) had been split in half and taped all around the projector. These swimming pool noodles provided a cushion to both absorb impact and protect the projector itself.

We often hear about crappy packing, so I wanted to share this as a nice example of a seller who did it right....

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Martin Dew and Tom Photiou

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 07.23.2023 | Top

RE: Packaging for a projector

#2 by Paul Browning , Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:48 pm

I think that would survive pretty much any postal service, well done to the person who's done it before. I hope its got the hi pro lens Greg ?.

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Greg Perry , Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:14 pm

Hi Paul,

Sadly no "Hi-Pro" lens on this one...

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:21 pm

Thats the way to pack a projector, it is minimum requirement to ensure it survives, the trouble is, as many people know, even the best packaging cant prevent some of the scum that work within the courier industry from playing football with it. The sender of your machine has certainly gone the extra mile Greg, thankfully.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:15 pm

That’s a well packed machine there Greg ,good to see someone has some common sense.
I had to send my Fumeo away and the packaging was somewhat similar,but my problem was also the weight they weigh enough without all the packaging by the time it went it was all I could do to lift it.Of course as Tom said you have no idea how the machines are treated once they leave you ,some of the couriers couldn’t care less and that goes for films as well.
Still good to see yours though.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#6 by Lee Mannering , Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:43 pm

Hi Greg. I perfected shipping Eiki 16mm projectors a few years ago using Banana boxes from the supermarket.
Pack the proj wrapped in a large roll of bubble wrap, then sandwich it between the na na boxes.
Pad around the sides well.
Packed like this the proj will survive all but the worst couriers.

Lee Mannering
Date registered 11.07.2022
ThankYou 5

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:01 pm

I did almost the same I believe with my GS-1200 … Bubblewrapped the projector, overdoing it maybe, but to be sure. Used a sturdy box, more bubblewrap to make it lie still, then I took an even larger box, bubblewrap in the bottom, the put the box with projector in, fill up with bubblewrap. Went well, luckily

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#8 by Greg Perry , Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:10 am

Hi Lee and Vidar,

I agree with you both, I think one of the keys is the "double box" approach. Many 'ignorant' sellers put padding only on the top of the projector, but what is important also is having cushion on the bottom of the box as it gets bounced around during shipment.

Happy to see that those in the know are very clear with the best practices needed.

Kind Regards,
Greg

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

Date for next Big Screen Scene Revival
Costs & Losses of new releases. Dave Films

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor