Predator, 2 x 1200ft

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:34 pm

Predator is a film that needs no introduction, it has become a modern classic and always features as one of the favourite films of the 1980s on movie lists.
Most schwarzenegger movies are guaranteed action and predator is one of the best along with a handful of others including Commando, T2, (my favourite along with predator) True lies and The Running man to name a few.
As far as this print is concerned, it will be no surprise to you that it is, as well documented, a first class quality super 8 release, this was Derann at the top of their game along with many other 80s and 90s titles, pin sharp image, superb vibrant colours and a booming stereo soundtrack. I used my ST1200HD to view it, playing both tracks via our 1970s stereo amp and Wharfedale speakers (twin mono) it just raises the roof, when you get this kind of sound quality played in this way, stereo separation is of no bother to us. Many collectors use state of the art digital amps and pre amps, but as our films are analogue, I believe I get the better results, as Bill Parsons once said to me, a decent quality analogue amp is more suited to our films.

I did read a review where someone mentioned that this release was masked, it is full 4:3 ratio, no masking and the focus is pin sharp corner to corner.
I was lucky to get this print at a price I was happy to pay, obviously, I still like real film for as long as we can and, for as long as I am able to self fund the hobby.
The condition of this second hand print is excellent with hardly a mark on it, i did catch a glimpse of a thin black line but overall, an almost perfect print.

These screenshots are from reel 1 as after these I put the camera down to enjoy the film, these images are pretty poor and dark for some reason taken with an old canon sureshot, the onscreen image is bright and clear. I'll add more at the next screening which wont be far away.

The storyline for those who have been living on the moon,
A team of special force ops, led by a tough but fair soldier, Major "Dutch" Schaefer, are ordered to assist CIA man, Colonel Al Dillon, on a rescue mission for potential survivors of a Helicopter downed over remote South American jungle. Not long after they land, Dutch and his team discover that they have been sent in under false pretences. This deception turns out to be the least of their worries though, when they find themselves being methodically hunted by something not of this world.

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Greg Perry and Gwyn Morgan
Graham Sinden sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.20.2023 | Top

RE: Predator, 2 x 1200ft

#2 by Mark Mander , Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:44 pm

Get to the chopper!!

Looks great,Mark

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#3 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:16 am

It is Mark, a film with phrases most fans will know, "stick around", knock knock" , the later copied by many films since.
Previous to this print, I hadn't seen this on any other format other than TV with both DVD and blu-ray, having now seen it properly, the image changes, the discs were virtually always very bright, (very good though) but I always took it that this was how the image was meant to be, even the night scenes on the discs are often almost like daylight. Now seeing it properly, the lighting of the scenes make the film much more atmospheric, night is night with no greys in the sky, only the black and deep blues sky through the trees.
There is zero blu tint to this print and again, I have read elsewhere that this title had blue tinting, I'm guessing that this may have been on later re prints which, in some cases, also used the oxide stripe, this print is pre stripe stock and with perfect colours throughout.
For those who do project mostly in digital, I do know that the newest 4K version is a massive improvement on the early DVD and blu rays, and at only £20 or less, you cant argue with that, but I have one of the titles for now that I always wanted and it has been worth the wait.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.21.2023 | Top

#4 by Mark Mander , Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:55 pm

Sounds like your pleased with it Tom, nice to find one you've been chasing, I'm lucky to have it too but a 16mm copy,along with my 16mm Commando they are probably my two favourite Arnie films, T2 is up there also,Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#5 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:27 pm

16mm is an upgrade in my view, this print is as near to a 16mm as I've seen on super 8 before, along with a few other titles but to have 16mm prints of the two you have is a good catch.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:01 pm

Nice find Tom.Looks to be an excellent print,glad you are pleased with it and you got it at a reasonable price.
A nice one to add to your collection very nice.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#7 by Graham Sinden , Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:21 am

Great find Tom especially in this condition. A film to treasure and to show others who thought Super 8 died in the 70's and have no idea about Derann films and what is out there.

Can I ask you though how you can tell it's pre stripe stock? Are there markings on it what indicate it? The photo you showed of the film did look like the later Gray stripe (I could be wrong) and this I believe was all put on by Derann after printing.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#8 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:57 pm

Graham, thats a good question and to be perfectly honest, now you have said that, I'm not 100%.
Is anyone able to confirm when Derann did run out of pre stripe?

The reason for my explanation is simply this, I do have many trailers and a number of films that do have the awful oxide stripe which is very dark in colour and when you look at it properly, it can be rough and is often uneven, these often suffer with hiss on quiet parts of the film and bumps, a good example of that is some prints of Die hard and the Madagasger penguins, so much glue was used in the mix to keep it on the film it was never going to be ideal, but it did keep the new releases going and of course, we're all grateful that it did.

My other reason for thinking it may be pre stripe, is the quality of the sound, it is one of the best and certainly as good as any other pre stripe film I've heard.
Hopefully, Barry may know the approximate year pre stipe was ended, I know Derann did buy a she load of the stock before it was taken off and that pre purchase kept Derann going with pre stripe for a very long time.

As always, I'm happy to be corrected.

Graham Sinden likes this
Graham Sinden sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.22.2023 | Top

#9 by Paul Browning , Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:34 pm

Tom i don't think it matters really, you have an excellent and rare find in great condition with sound to match, it would only concern me if you had to re record the sound, which you don't, just enjoy the film for what it is, a gem amongst your collection..........

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#10 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:46 pm

Thats true,
I viewed it a second time already last evening with the Wifey, much to my surprise she really liked it, she was on the edge of seat for most it but it was nice to watch a film together like that. No matter the stock or stripe, with action and quality like this film has so much repeatability it'll be getting more viewings than the majority of titles we have.

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

The Godfather 3 x400ft (on 1 x 800ft), Marketing
A Country Music spectacular Vol 1, 400ft Colour sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor