Video attachment to super 8 projector.

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:33 pm

This last week has gone from full disaster regarding my Fumeo 9119 super 8mm to absolutely brilliant.
At the start of the week the magnetic / optical switch broke into pieces some of which entered the internal working of the machine ,first disaster.So me being me left the machine for 24 hours to allow the electrical side to discharge,opened the rear and proceeded to clear out the bits of the switch,so far so good.
I was not too worried about not having the optical sound as I no longer have optical films.
Anyway the circuit board on this particular machine is not supported on one end ,and with the machine being so heavy one has to be carful not to bend/ touch this piece of board as likely to break!!
Yes you guessed it I touched it and bent only slightly but enough to break the board contacts.Tried machine no sound.Swearing lots off.
Rang The Master for his opinion.I could send it up to him and he would see what he could do or I could try and fix same after being given clear instructions what to do.Anyway I decided to sleep on it.
By chance looking on a local Facebook page I came across an electronic type person who mends PlayStations and video game’s circuit boards and he lived locally,so in for a Penny in for a pound,contacted same and took projector to his home less than a mile away.You should have seen his face when I took the fumeo out ,he thought it was going to be “toy” 🤣🤣
Two hours later board fixed and all capacitors etc tested and working as good as new ,crack fixed and all connections redone.Brilliant.
Now when I went to pick up machine he showed me the circuit board etc and asked did I know why this 1970’s board had a v
Green coloured video pod attachment as can be seen in photos.
I have no idea but apparently if I could find a video card from the 1970’s and plug in the required leads to the machine I may well be able to produce an image etc on a computer screen.
All news to me so who says you can’t have digital from super8 ??Anyone else come across this?

Now I am certainly no expert on things like this so I have absolutely no idea if it would work and to be honest I don’t think I will be finding out but a little unusual I thought.
Anyway as said from disaster to excitement as machine sound most excellent,oh and he had to fix 18 circuit breaks so I am now very happy.

Eivind Mork likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

RE: Video attachment to super 8 projector.

#2 by Tom Photiou , Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:27 pm

Gwyn, that was jammy, what are the chances of that? I bet it made a change for the repair man to have something different to fix, I'd like to have seen his face when when he first saw the Fumeo if he normally fixes games consuls and the like. It's weird that it has the green coloured video pod attachment, I wonder what this was originally fitted for, must have been for a reason.
Good to hear it's all back up and running again though and just a mile away from home. I do forget how many people from just a decade or so ago have no idea what our projectors look like, and certainly have no idea how good they are for the age of the technology.
Thanks for sharing this Gwyn, I'm pleased you have you machine back up and running.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Greg Perry , Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:11 pm

Gwyn,

Very glad to hear there was a positive ending to this! Bonus to find a chap for any future repair needs...

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Eivind Mork , Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:34 pm

How great to fins someone able to work on this locally! I am glad it had a happy ending!

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Tom Photiou

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#5 by Mark Mander , Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:54 pm

That's a good ending Gwyn, it goes to show with a bit of ingenuity and thought that things can get sorted by someone willing to have a go at something so alien to them ,Mark

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:22 pm

I did say to chap that this machine is the baby,perhaps he would like to work on my 16mm Fumeo with separate motor take off, I think he thought I was joking 😁😁📽📽

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#7 by Thomas Peters , Tue May 02, 2023 8:42 pm

For a projector to be able to output video from the film it is projecting, it would need to have some sort of camera inside it pointed at the gate or through the lens. Unless this Fumeo has that, it would be impossible to output video through any kind of connection.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

BFCC Photos
BFCC return

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor