The Sankyo OMS880 STEREO

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:07 pm

Although I have had many film shows since I bought this machine and had it all sorted by the mighty Bill Parson, thread here,

Bill Parsons, A Huge Thank you. The Sankyo OMS880 STEREO

I havnt actually used it much more than a couple of hours, so today to remedy this, I put the Elmo and Bauer on the shelf and covered them up and set up this superb little machine and gave it a quick run up with the Shindlers list trailer.
Paul Browning's described these as little sumo's, and it really is, a solid and well packed lump with excellent sound and now with the Sankyo High pro lens fitted, the image is first class. From the same distance from the screen, our Elmo and Bauer zoom way over the screen size so obviously they fill the screen, this one however, on full zoom fills 4/5ths of the screen but this doesn't bother us as the high contrast and sharpness of the lens is very good indeed and makes up for the slightly smaller screen image. As already mentioned on the other thread, this is the next level up to the UK's Sanyko 800 but these were only made for the Japanese market as far as I know and it has the added addition to having optical sound as well as magnetic, there is a host of other extras but much of it I will sadly never use, mainly the recording facilities. But the sound via my old pioneer amp is outstanding, as it has elmo GS1200 heads it way up with the best projector's.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Paul Browning and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 04.28.2023 | Top

RE: The Sankyo OMS880 STEREO

#2 by Thomas Peters , Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:31 am

If I ever do get a Sankyo sound machine (which I probably will not), it would be an 800, mainly because of the 150 watt EFR lamp. The 800 foot capacity would be a bonus. I wouldn't use the extra features of the 880 either.

I bought an Elmo 800 about a year ago for relatively little money, since it was untested and needed new belts and a good cleaning. I knew it only took the 100 watt EFP lamp, but it still has me scratching my head why Elmo didn't equip it with a 150 watt EFR.

I spent a decent amount of money getting Super 8 sound and silent backup machines in the last few years, but in retrospect, I should have saved some of the money for a decent Sankyo 800. Or, an Elmo 1.0 lens, which admittedly are hard to come by, even if you are willing to spend the dough.

Tom Photiou likes this
Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 04.29.2023 | Top

#3 by Greg Perry , Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:33 am

Tom,

I recently obtained a Sankyo 800, and I am very happy with it. I have the standard lens only, but sound is excellent and the image is nice. Interesting to hear your 880 has optical sound capability.

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Paul Browning , Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:03 am

What a beauty it is Tom, and you got to love those retro vu meters, i think you got lucky with that Tom, an underated machine the Sankyo's enjoy ............

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:03 pm

I did Paul, yes I did forget about the VU meters as I understand these are not on the 800, I was indeed very lucky with this one and even luckier to have had Bill do the work on it that he did, I am fully aware that if it wernt for Bill it would have had to have been a scrap machine as there is no way I could have replaced the heads on it as well as the other jobs that were done.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#6 by Thomas Peters , Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:27 pm

Quote: Paul Browning wrote in post #4
What a beauty it is Tom, and you got to love those retro vu meters, i think you got lucky with that Tom, an underated machine the Sankyo's enjoy ............

I don't think Sankyos, especially from the 800 series, are underrated. Since the dawn of the internet, I've heard many sing their praises.

I only have a Sankyo Dualux silent, so I've never experienced a sound Sankyo. The machines I think are the most similar are the Yamawa-made machines, whose praises I have sung on this forum. From pictures of the inside and out, they look very much like Sankyos. If not some unknown, behind the scenes collaboration, I would guess one company copied the other.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:04 pm

Some projectors were the same with a different badge as I understand it.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#8 by Thomas Peters , Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:37 am

Yamawa-made projectors are a bit confusing. They made Yelco-branded projectors: Yamawa Electric Co Ltd of Japan. I have projectors branded Yashica, Minolta, Bell & Howell, and Fujicascope, that were made by Yamawa. I can't find a reference now, but I believe Fuji Film was part of the collaboration. I bought so many because they were cheap compared to Eumigs and Elmos.

The design is simple, and the ones I have don't have any bells and whistles that complicate the design. The longest I've had one is about 3 years, and the fact that they only needed a new belts to run well is very telling.

They made a high-end model, which I believe was branded as Yelco, that is comparable to the best of the Elmos and Sankyos.

Most Yamawas come with a 100 watt EFP lamp, and a 1.3 zoom lens, with 600 foot capacity. Very simliar to most of the Sankyos and Eumigs. For home use, this is more than adequate.

Although I have never done a side-by-side comparison, my Yamawa projectors with 100 watt lamps and 1.3 lenses seem just as bright as my Elmo ST-1200HD with a 1.1 lens and 150 watt lamp. I don't notice a 50%+ brighter image with the Elmo.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 04.30.2023 | Top

#9 by Paul Browning , Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:15 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404256713343 , i think this is the high end model you are referring too Thomas, but let me say they are not as well made as the high end elmo's the gs1200 . The yelco is the exact same model, but does not have the ability to change the voltage setting in the back of the machine for different country's, well at least the one's i have don't, but this fujicascope does, but the seller doesn't know this or hasn't checked. What i can say is that the japanese machines travel better than its french counter part, and are easier to fix, no complicated tensioning system, take up and rewind mechanism. This sd25 has a tooth belt ,so makes it ideal for rerecording, as good as the GS 1200. Take off the rear cover of both the GS and the SD25 and you will see, they are miles apart in quality of components, the elmo GS1200 in my opinion set the standard, regarless of what people say about it, for the most part its just sower grapes........

The following contents have been linked to this post::

The following members like this: Thomas Peters, Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Thomas Peters sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Last edited 04.30.2023 | Top

#10 by Thomas Peters , Tue May 02, 2023 9:00 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Quote: Paul Browning wrote in post #9
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404256713343 , i think this is the high end model you are referring too Thomas, but let me say they are not as well made as the high end elmo's the gs1200 . The yelco is the exact same model, but does not have the ability to change the voltage setting in the back of the machine for different country's, well at least the one's i have don't, but this fujicascope does, but the seller doesn't know this or hasn't checked. What i can say is that the japanese machines travel better than its french counter part, and are easier to fix, no complicated tensioning system, take up and rewind mechanism. This sd25 has a tooth belt ,so makes it ideal for rerecording, as good as the GS-1200. Take off the rear cover of both the GS and the SD25 and you will see, they are miles apart in quality of components, the elmo GS-1200 in my opinion set the standard, regarless of what people say about it, for the most part its just sower grapes........

Thanks -- I believe YELCO made several high-end projectors. There was a link I posted here a while ago with 10 pages of mini-reviews of Super 8 projectors. Since I've never had a GS-1200 or any of these high-end YELCOs, I can't comment much based on any personal experience, just what I've read.

The French counterpart you speak of -- would that be a Beaulieu? I've never had one, nor know much about them.

The beauty of the internet is that anyone, anywhere in the world, can write whatever they want about any subject...

So what I've read about the Elmo GS-1200 could very well be heresay. Sour grapes? Perhaps, but the people who I've heard denigrate the GS-1200 claim that they either own one, or have owned one in the past. The common complaint is "over engineered", "hard to fix", "prone to problems", etc. I believe it has 3 motors? What on earth for?

The only advantage that the GS-1200 would have for me, in terms of features, is the 200 watt lamp. The 1.0 lens would be great, too, but I am not sure that all were equipped with the 1.0 lens. I have heard that the 200 watt lamps are only made in limited runs (heresay, perhaps?) -- I'm not even sure how easy they are to obtain now, or how much they cost. I have also heard claims that the 200 watt lamp does not seem that much brighter than a 150 watt lamp. Another complaint: a 1.0 lens makes it harder to keep the screen image in focus.

I can say from experience that I do not notice a 50%+ increase in light output over one of my 100 watt EFP lamp projectors vs. the 150 watt EFR with a 1.1 lens in my Elmo ST-1200HD. A little brighter? Perhaps, but I think you would need to do a side-by-side comparison to really notice.

When I upgraded from the standard 1.3 lens to a 1.1 on my Elmo over 20 years ago, I expected to get my Aunt Connie's socks knocked off. That never happened. Was the picture a little sharper and brighter. I guess so. (I convinced myself it was an improvement since I paid about $200 for the 1.1 lens.)

I can see the reason for some of the bells and whistles on a GS-1200. Back then, it was the equivalent of today's digital video editing software. Today, for me, I use a projector stictly for watching packaged films. I don't re-record. I don't have any films in stereo. I doubt that any projector will make my Blackhawk Laurel and Hardys sound any better. But that's just me and what I collect. To each his own.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 05.02.2023 | Top

8mm Elvis - New book by Vince Wright
The Sankyo OMS880 STEREO

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor