In defence of Super 8 gone by.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:06 pm

I am NOT looking to start any big debate on the old and the new here, it's nothing to do, in any way shape or form, with ANY of the new/recent super 8 releases, lets leave those alone here, they look good, they are fine.
But what I am tired of reading is crap like this quote, I will not engage where it came from, but I think it is obvious, one of many,

"there are also plenty of prints, made straight from 35mm or 16mm, that look absolutely fine. The one thing I will say concerning these new prints is that, perhaps, with digital files directly going to a film source, our beloved super 8, we are finally getting to see super 8 at it's absolute best".

Honestly, what utter bollocks!!

Films in our own collections that are 30 years old or more include,
Deranns Lion King/ Beauty and the beat/ Reflection's / precious images / all trailers / Capricorn one scope / Commando / predator/ Grease scope / The Matrix, Freeway Frenzy scope / Master & commander scope / Poltergeist / Police Academy 2 / Terminator 2 Scope / to name only a very few. These films jump out of the screen at you, they are pin sharpe and are colour correct and the sound is absolutely fine, even made better by those who enjoy re-recording.
Most are reviewed on here, take a look, screenshots taken with a cheap old camera during projection so you know how good these actually look on screen.

The vast majority of films in circulation now are from the pre digital age and are more than standing the test of time. No one knows how long the new sound stripes will last, or the film stocks colour for that matter and I will include Deranns oxide paste stripe in this which we all know was a problem, so in defence of real pre 2020 super 8 films which are on low fade stock from the mid 80s these are the real deal, low fade Fuji / Agfa and LPP polyester with pin sharp image and vivid colours with a bright contrast where the whites are white and NOT light grey,

So while i DO support all new releases, it's time to accept that these are the tiny minority of what is out there on offer, but it is great to see new titles on offer.
One thing I agree with is that the sound recordings on the new prints are first rate. But with the digital age upon us, there would be something seriously wrong if they couldn't get that right.
Collectors of many decades putting down the films made on 8mm which have kept us all going and still continue to do so pre 2020 seem to be on a bit of mission at the moment, how odd!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 04.16.2023 | Top

RE: In defence of Super 8 gone by.

#2 by Mark Mander , Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:44 am

I think any new releases are a plus point today,the negative sourced prints of the titles you mention Tom are all superb and if Derann were still trading today then would they move over to digital sourced prints? I'm pretty sure they would have on certain releases such as trailers and possibly shorts as they were always trying to get the best image possible on screen. I also think that costs would obviously have risen on new releases but not to the extent they are now but not making a negative would be a plus point running a business.

I do think that digital sources would look better these days they would have too, it's at its highest quality from the start and it cuts out a process or two which I guess would minimise any flaws,saying all that the heyday of film and beyond produced some great films that all collectors would want, those now legendary titles mentioned above will be sought after far more than any new releases, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

Last edited 04.17.2023 | Top

#3 by Barry Attwood , Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:13 am

I know it wasn't from a digital source, but I remember a company that used a video source to release a few 400's from the "Electric Blue" nudey series, quality wasn't very good, but that was done in the late 1970's, so nothing new in using a different master source than pure film.

Barry Attwood  
Barry Attwood
Date registered 08.11.2015
home: Weeley, Essex, U.K.
ThankYou 50

#4 by Mark Mander , Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:14 pm

I don't think quality was an issue on those types of films Barry,HA Ha!!! Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#5 by Thomas Peters , Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:31 pm

Is the digital source a higher resolution than what is available for the home user? Then maybe, and only maybe, a Super 8 print of it would look better than your own digital projection.

My point is: if the source is digital, why not just buy the digital source and a digital projector?

I must admit that I have never seen a Super 8 print made from a digital source. I'm only just trying to apply logic here.

Anyway, my understanding is that a 35mm release print was, way back when, made as follows:
camera neg->fine grain print (which is then edited to final film)->dupe neg->release print

So at best, what you saw in the theaters was 4th generation.

Digital stacks the deck, in the sense that you can scan the camera neg (which I assume was edited to match the final fine grain) if it exists. So depending on the elements that are available, a digital copy can be from an earlier generation source. How good that source is depends on wear, fade, etc.

With scans now being 4K or higher, in theory (I really do not know) a digital representation of a movie can look better than a 35mm print in terms of clarity and detail. Whether you can get a "film look", and which really is better, is a matter of personal opinion.

What I don't like is what I call "digital trickery", which is an attempt (IMO) to make it look better. Everything from removing scratches and dirt (don't they clean the film physically first?), to removal of grain.

So, if I were to make a Super 8 print from a digital source (which I have no intention of doing, nor do I have the means), I would use at least a 4K scan of the earliest generation film elements that looked the best (meaning not a beat-up neg or print). Whether or not said Super 8 print would look better than projecting an available digital source on reasonably priced equipment available to the general public, I do not know.

In reality, I'd bet that these Super 8 prints use whatever is available retail to the general public, so what you would be getting (in theory, since I do not know) is a Super 8 copy of a Blu-ray (maybe ultra, 4K, or whatever they call it). I have never been interested in digital projection, so I have no idea what the prices are for the best ones, nor do I have a Blu-ray player. I have watched HD on cable and streaming, and my TV supports up to 1080p.

Will a Super 8 copy, projected on my Elmo ST-1200HD, look better than watching that same digital source on my HDTV, which has a smaller screen than what I usually project with Super 8 in my basement? I do not know.

Now, if said Super 8 copy looks like it is made from a film source, I can see that it can take you back to the "old days", but I'm not sure at the price if it is worth it, especially considering the large collection of films I already have that were made before the digital era.

Anyway, I have more questions than answers, but I am just trying to apply logic to why a Super 8 copy of a digital source might, or might not, be worthwhile.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

#6 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:26 pm

Just to pop back in on this, I dont wish to knock the new releases, or turn them into a debate, indeed, my main point was just reminding those champions of the new that there is still a huge mountain of first class colour super 8 releases out there, features, digests and trailers alike. I was just becoming baffled by a minority more or less stating that prints prior to 2020 were inferior, It's a nonsense. Perhaps some the problem is the equipment they use to project?
Having more titles added and more to come from what I understand is to be celebrated, not an excuse to knock whats kept the hobby going for decades.

Mark Mander likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#7 by Mark Mander , Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:36 pm

Definitely not knocking the new prints Tom, as I said it's a plus point nowadays, anything new is a huge bonus and effort from those that get involved in producing them, the image quality is superb on most, I also get where you coming from too on the older negative sourced splenders from those that released them, I agree they produced some stunning prints so now putting them down doesn't really make sense,we're all happy watching them too. It's probably a sales tactic, I guess if your producing something so visual and trying to get your money back then you'll say most things to achieve it?? Mark

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#8 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:07 pm

Thats very true Mark.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#9 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:51 pm

I really like the look of film as a famous Baron once said "It's Alive". I have a number of both dvd and blu-ray, some films just look like they have never seen real film and were shot on video. OK they look quite good, but too clinical for me. Once rented The Devil Rides Out that was one they had messed with the special effects. Glad I didn't buy.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

The following members like this: Mark Mander, Greg Perry and Tom Photiou

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#10 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:36 pm

Thanks David, and I think thats what most people think, but again, as a reminder, all the new titles look very good and are very welcome, no mistaking this.
I just wanted to highlight that the older films are more than alive and kicking, what we are seeing for sales value, (as Mark mentioned) is a very small amount of criticism of pre 2020 releases.
We know as time has gone by that many are now past their sell by date with fade, damage and scratches, but there is still tons and tons of titles out there with decades ahead of them on good low fade stock.

The following members like this: Mark Mander and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#11 by Thomas Peters , Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:18 pm

I'm not knocking new prints either; I honestly want to know the point of making a print from a digital source.

Tom Photiou likes this
Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#12 by Mark Mander , Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:56 pm

I'd say material source and cost Thomas, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#13 by Tom Photiou , Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:15 pm

I agree with that, even if you could find a real film source on 35 or 16mm, the costs involved would almost certainly prohibit any new releases. Aside that, who would loan a print to be hacked up to make a cut down.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#14 by Thomas Peters , Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:34 pm

Right, but I'm asking what's the point of having a Super 8 print made from a digital source as opposed to just having the digital source and projecting that?

To me, making a print from a digital source is bass-ackwards.

It's like digitally scanning the Mona Lisa, then printing it back to a canvas.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 04.20.2023 | Top

#15 by Mark Mander , Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:33 pm

I think it's just a way of producing new releases Thomas, the source material and cost, yes its from a digital source but ends up on film and its this format we hold dear to our hearts, you end up with a great image and the bonus of decent releases you would never have been offered otherwise,Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#16 by Thomas Peters , Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:07 pm

Right, but if you don't like digital (and people who buy them probably do not), you are getting that same digital picture, probably with less resolution, but on film. Plus, only about 30 minutes of the movie, and for $300+.

But, as I understand it, back in 1993/1994, Disney scanned SNOW WHITE, fixed it digitally, and printed it back to 35mm film for a theatrical release. Whether or not the results were satisfactory is a matter or personal taste.

To each his own.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#17 by Mark Mander , Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:32 pm

Yes not every collector likes the digital look,many won't buy as it's not from a negative, I understand that, but if you want a new release then that's how it is it seems,Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#18 by Greg Perry , Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:32 am

Thomas,

It is a legitimate question--what is the benefit of transferring digital to actual film? Initially the goal of digital-to-film was to provide replacement footage for damaged or TV-edits to restore an original negative produced print to it's full original glory. It has since evolved to make movie trailer prints from digital which provided a fun, modern addition to an old-school evening film show. In some ways this has helped to keep film projection moving forward (even as our equipment ages). For me, using digital as a source for a film print is a necessary "evil" as high-quality negatives cannot be found for many older titles, and of course, negatives are not even being used for most new releases which may be completely "shot" digitally.

Take a look at this short snippet from filmmaker Peter Flynn's upcoming documentary...perhaps it captures the magic of film projection as well as the modern challenges the hobby faces...
https://filmfreeway.com/FILMISDEADLONGLI...chemical%20film

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#19 by Thomas Peters , Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:34 pm

Quote: Greg Perry wrote in post #18
Thomas,

It is a legitimate question--what is the benefit of transferring digital to actual film? Initially the goal of digital-to-film was to provide replacement footage for damaged or TV-edits to restore an original negative produced print to it's full original glory. It has since evolved to make movie trailer prints from digital which provided a fun, modern addition to an old-school evening film show. In some ways this has helped to keep film projection moving forward (even as our equipment ages). For me, using digital as a source for a film print is a necessary "evil" as high-quality negatives cannot be found for many older titles, and of course, negatives are not even being used for most new releases which may be completely "shot" digitally.

Take a look at this short snippet from filmmaker Peter Flynn's upcoming documentary...perhaps it captures the magic of film projection as well as the modern challenges the hobby faces...
https://filmfreeway.com/FILMISDEADLONGLI...chemical%20film

Hmmm...I spotted Ray Faiola and Shorty Caruso in that clip -- 2 gents I used to know many years ago as a member of the Founding Tent in Manhattan of the Sons of the Desert.

I of course prefer film over digital.

Replacement footage? -- that never occurred to me, but yes, if I were missing small parts of a film, I would consider a digital source if I had exhausted the possibilities of obtaining another (better) copy on film.

If high-quality negatives cannot be found for many older titles, then how the heck were the digital versions made? Ok, maybe a print was scanned, but a negative can be made from a print, which many collectors call a "reduction". Blackhawk used this method often to make their prints. Sometimes, their source in this case was a 16mm print, rather than 35mm.

My overall (rhetorical) question still is: why would I want a "complete" film made from a digital source, if I could simply purchase said digital source for a lot less money? "Complete" here meaning the entire reel(s) consisted of film made from a digital source, even if the resulting film itself is a digest.

That's why I said, "To each his own."

Now I'm curious how a print would be made -- sounds a lot like a kinescope to me. I can't imagine it being any less expensive than a traditional print. It also sounds like someone would have had to make specialized equipment for the process, lest it look like a hack job.

Other than curiousity, it really is a moot point for me. I have no interest in any movies actually shot on digital, for the simple reason that I don't care for any recent movies.

The stuff I am interested in comes up for sale fairly frequently in a bonafide film format. Once you upgrade to 16mm, like I did many years ago, basically anything is available short of lost films, which won't be available anyway on digital formats unless the lost film, or lost segments of previously extant films, were discovered after the era when movies were still printed on film.

Examples of films, or segments thereof, that are not available on film, at least not easily:

The complete 2nd reel of BATTLE OF THE CENTURY, with Laurel and Hardy, which was finally discovered in 16mm less than 10 years ago. It has been subsequently released on DVD and Blu-ray.

The restored Buster Keaton independent silent films, particularly the shorts. VHS, laser disc, and digital versions have been released many times since 1995, with each one being an upgrade in either picture quality or with previously missing segments restored. The latest versions are digital composites of sometimes as many as 10 different film sources from around the world.

Will any of those be released on film? Nope. Not from digital sources, and not from film sources. Many Keatons are currently listed on eBay right now, and though I know that they will neither look as good, nor be as complete as, the latest Blu-rays, I am still bidding on some of them. They will not look as good for the simple reason that when they were made, the best elements had yet to be discovered, and no attempt was made to assemble the most complete prints possible. Now if these better (non-digital) sources were used to make 16mm, they would blow away even 4k digital versions.

BTW, much to-do (both good and bad) was made about the Laurel and Hardy restorations released on Blu-ray and DVD several years ago, but having seen them, I can say that although they look better than my Super 8 copies, those that I have in 16mm look, to me, much better, whether my prints are Blackhawks, or Film Classics. Keep in mind that some Film Classics prints were printed down directly from 35mm negatives, as opposed to from 16mm negatives that had been made from 35mm negs, e.g. 35mm neg->16mm print vs. 35mm neg->35mm print->16mm neg->16mm print.

Greg Perry likes this
Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 04.21.2023 | Top

#20 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:26 pm

Greg, Peter Flynn's upcoming documentary looks a good one, is this going to be a TV documentary or for the internet? It's one I would like to see for sure.
You are correct about any new prints having to come from digital sources, they do look good and from what we now know, there was a blip in the labs producing some of the titles last year which let the sellers down a bit as a lot of collectors thought this was going to be the norm, however, thankfully, it did all get sorted, and you said, the only hold back today is the cost, it is difficult to actually justify the amount of dosh for a short film as much as I would love a copy of home alone.

What Greg also mentioned regarding the making of repair sections for 16mm films for repair/restoration being the original use of copying from digital sources hits the nail bang on the head. Anyone who has read through my 16mm reviews here will know how this process has allowed me to bring a few of my 16mm prints back to their former glory, and in one case, has allowed me to add extra deleted scenes that were never in any of the theatrical releases, namely, The Blues Brothers.
Here is three links to three such titles, aside Waterloo, can you spot the newly made inserts.

A Fish Called Wanda 3 x 1600ft spools Agfa
High Plains Drifter, my restoration.
New insert for Waterloo in scope

This is the best use of new from digital as it preserves the films we have.

I I have read elsewhere that a negative view is taken when questioned about the cost of new releases, well, let me put the record straight right here. CHC have released a few new trailers on super 8 themselves as mentioned on their last newsletter, and the first small batch sold out, they were all gone when I enquired

Each is colour sound (excellent quality) and are 50ft each, the price? £25 each or £30 for a cartoon. I make that £100 per 200ft reel and as CHC is a business they will make a small profit.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Last edited 04.22.2023 | Top

#21 by Greg Perry , Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:41 pm

I am not sure about the details on the release of the complete version of “Film is Dead…Long live Film”. Peter Flynn screened the complete ‘rough draft’ at last Fall’s CineSea event in Wildwood NJ. It was fascinating and did capture the dilemma facing film collectors as time goes on.

The cost of most hobbies can be expensive and needs to be managed—whether it is LP records, playing golf, restoring old cars or collecting films and projectors. If we used a strict least cost basis for purchase decisions most of us wouldn’t have any hobbies…so we trade dosh (funds) for enjoyment of film as one form of media. I know this is certainly obvious, but the question of why we collect films when we can get the DVD a lot cheaper does come up often.

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#22 by Mark Mander , Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:22 pm

Out of those Greg I don't play golf ha ha,Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#23 by Thomas Peters , Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:50 pm

Quote: Greg Perry wrote in post #21
I know this is certainly obvious, but the question of why we collect films when we can get the DVD a lot cheaper does come up often.

Blu-ray, Greg, Blu-ray. DVDs are so 2003.

Why collect vintage gasoline-powered cars when you can buy a new electric one? Why buy LPs when you can downloadd an mp3? Why buy a ticket to a baseball game when you can watch it on TV? Why cook a meal yourself when you can eat out in a restaurant?

To the people who ask, simply reply, "To each his own."

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#24 by Tom Photiou , Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:55 pm

Just to remind us all of the thread, In defence of super 8 gone by, a friend did remind me today of something I think the makers of the 21st century releases do forget, (as I did until i was reminded today),
"With the Super 8 releases from Derann and others we had 'scope and stereo back then (and on LPP stock) but now have just mono single striped flat and letterbox prints at higher unaffordable prices. Letterbox prints are such a waste of the already tiny Super 8 frame size".
A good observation.
I understand that new scope prints would very much limit the market, but as the thread suggests, I'm just reminding everyone, the pre 2020 prints are what the majority still enjoy today. It's great to be able to add new titles today for those who are able to pay the price, but those who continue to say the new prints are far superior either have very bad eye site, poor equipment or S*** prints in their collection's, it's as simple as that.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#25 by Rik Jackman , Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:10 am

I doesn't have to be so binary. Just appreciate things for what they are

Pre 2020
There are millions of prints out there
- On all manner of subjects
- Mute/Mono/Stereo
- B&W/Colour(Vibrant/Faded/Pink)
- Sharp/Soft
- Flat/Scope
- Full Features/Edited Features/Digests/Compilations
- 8mm/16mm/35mm/70mm sources
- Mint/Worn/Scratched
The choice is almost endless and the only real limitation is how deep your pockets are.

Post 2020
There are, erm, a hundreds of prints out here
- Limited subjects (mostly feature film related I think)
- Mute/Mono/Stereo
- B&W/Colour(Vibrant)
- Sharp
- Flat
- Digests/Compilations
- 16mm/35mm/digital sources
- Mint/Seconds/Soon to be scratched
The choice is limited and you definitely need deep pockets

So let's face it they have more in common than not
One is not better than the other
Digital is not my preferred format but it is not the route of all evil - I'm pretty sure most of the vinyl I buy nowadays is from a digital source and I'll still take the free mp3 download/listen to Spotify on my laptop while I'm working.

Opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one and they all stink.

Personally I have films from both groups and I enjoy them all, but hey that' just my opinion and you know what I think about them!

Rik Jackman  
Rik Jackman
Date registered 11.09.2020
ThankYou 15

Elmo 1200HD Shutter outer rubber

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor