Is everyone dead? Any thoughts on ebay alerts?

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:43 pm

A little quite here, is everyone still alive?
Has no one watched any films? Bought a projector or need some information from others? Nothing to talk about in this hobby? 8,16 or 35mm?

A sellers market, not a buyers market at present time.

Regarding ebay alerts, it may just be me being a bit of a grump, but on the other channel there are two threads to tell the world about listings of interest, 8 and 16mm.
I dont know about you, but i dont understand why you would want to do this, all that does it help the seller. Those who may interested in the titles end up having to bid against a wider audience, it's almost like a spoiler. I understand any seller coming onto a forum to advertise his or her' sales, but to tell the world about a listing is barmy. I bet if those who do this were interested in a said title, they wouldn't put it up in the thread, they'd want to keep it to themselves to minimise other potential buyers why would you? Just my thoughts.

Paul Browning likes this
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: Is everyone dead? Any thoughts on ebay alerts?

#2 by Paul Browning , Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:32 pm

I agree tom 100%, nothing like having to spend more on a film that's already an expensive hobby now. It reminds me of a story many years ago, a guy i knew had spotted what he thought was a bargain priced car, but he refused to pay the full priced advertised, so he had an idea that if he got his mates to phone up and go around for a look and try a slate it by saying saying this or that was wrong to get the price down a bit more, so thinking the guy would be happy to sell it with all the faults for less, he rang up only to be told he'd had more interest than expected, he put the price up, and ended up paying more for it in the end, and the moral to the story is, if you find a bargain or something you really want, keep those you tell to your close friends only, those you can trust to keep tight lipped, or you might pay a lot more for it........

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:03 pm

Tom,the whole worlds gone mad,l too have noticed the two threads and quite frankly I think it’s a waste of time but if it amuses someone to post every film they see on eBay good luck to them.Also on eBay this listing saying there are so many people watching,god they must have nothing better to do than sit in front of a screen 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂……………….I’m joking 🙃
As you say it’s a sellers world at the moment,but some of the prices are way out of my league,good luck to the sellers there’s obviously people with money to burn but I’ve decided that I have still got enough to watch unless something comes along at the right price.
As for posting on here,maybe again a sign of the times,maybe people don’t want to say what they have,maybe they just can’t be bothered or they just aren’t watching reel films like they used to.
Why join this site if you aren’t going to participate? Who knows? I’m sure I don’t know 🤷‍♂️
Rant over……..

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Tom Photiou
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#4 by Tom Photiou , Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:34 pm

Paul / Gwyn, thank you,

Yes i see what your saying Gwyn, like you, we seem to have enough to view, i will always have room for one more at the right price but there's no way i can pay out some of the asking prices, One that caught my eye which i have been after for a long time was Platoon. This one was a 16mm print, it went for 566. Well, it is rare and it looked a reasonable print until i read that there is a scene missing, by the looks of the description it would have been a TV cut for violence, but that makes it an incomplete film and it still fetched all that!!!
At present time we are still selling off films i no longer get enjoyment viewing due to either fade or just no longer interested in the slightly soft look to some of the older 8mm releases. Since i got back into 16mm we want to end up with a smaller better quality collection rather than an infinite pile of faded and scratched junk.
I guess those who want to give free advertising for the ebay sellers are helping the prices go higher, so you say, good luck to those sellers.

Paul, the other day my Son found a bloke on Facebook market place advertising two projectors for sale, a decent looking Eumig and a very good looking Sankyo 800. The price for the lot, (including a few other items), was £124. My Son checked in with me and i said tell him we'll have it. His reply an hour or so later was, "i've been looking on ebay and now i want £250 for the Sankyo on its own". I offered the advertised price for just the Sankyo bearing in mind, the ad was still running, again he said £250, so i allowed my Son to send a polite reply . The point here, like you Paul, we did not share this ad on any forum, is called self interest i guess, human nature.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#5 by Greg Perry , Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:25 am

Tom,

I agree 100+...why advertise these as it just drives prices up?...Many of us spend a good bit of time looking and searching for films, no need to showcase these in my mind for those that don't do the work to find them....Not sure it is to anyones benefit except the sellers...Prices are high enough as it is....

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Paul Browning

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Brian Murphy is 90 today
Alan rik

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor