"Way Out West" Super 8 Print : Your point of view

#1 by Philip Murat , Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:02 pm

Hello L & H Fans,

"Way Out West" was very popular from our side.This is a timeless Slapstick Comedy. It shows often time on second hand market, more particularly in "Film Office" edition, and often time for reasonable price.
I have it from "Film Office" , however , to tell you the truth, sharpness and contrast are acceptable but I think that was not printed from a very good negative.
This is a common problem with "Film Office" material.

How are others editions from Derann, Walton, from US , UK , Germany as well, etc........

English Language is prefered.

Thanks in advance

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

RE: "Way Out West" Super 8 Print : Your point of view

#2 by Tom Photiou , Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:27 pm

Hello Philip,
We have the Walton 3 x 40ft version of this title, if i'm honest, i cant remember the full length version as it's years since i saw it on the telly. Once i buy a film i rarely watch it on TV again.
I see the full version is 65 minutes, so i'm guessing the Walton version, (like all most of their films) is slightly edited. Fortunately, there isn't any obvious cuts so i for one, dont know where the edits are. Perhaps another collector on here could let us know?
The print quality of our walton version of way out west is very good, the contrast is good and the sound is very good. I know the Laurel and Hardy films do vary in quality, we have 28 L & Hs on super 8, including a few standard 8s. Most of them are pretty good but we do have one or two that i recall being terrible with faces looking like white blobs in some scenes.

Over the years i found the Walton prints to be among the best along with some Blackhawk prints. Many collectors swear by the Blackhawks but again, we have bought some BH prints after reading the hype and a number of them went back due to either looking very dupey, dark too grainy or having very high hiss on the sound. Very hit and miss.
In the coming week i will try and review my own print.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#3 by Philip Murat , Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:50 pm

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your answer.

This is I was guessing, Walton printing is much better than "Film Office" one. However, "Way Out West" from "Film Office" comes on 4 x 120m and is full feature.

I have some Walton prints and are very pleasant to watch. It is very strange many Walton prints are a bit abridge. "Hannie Caulder" is an exemple (just a few minutes missing) and the print is very good with good colors yet. (I have no idea where cuts were done on this print......)

I assume "BlackHawck" comes on 4 x120m , what are owners ratings ?

What about "Derann" one ?

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
ThankYou 44

#4 by Paul Browning , Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:00 pm

The blackhawk prints are normally full length, even the comedy shorts, with a better chance of a better print from them, but i have seen some very good prints from walton too, and probably a bit cheaper than the blackhawk print. I've had good and bad from both, so its down to the description i guess and some good screen shots, its a print that turns from time to time on ebay, i have never seen the film office version Philip, so i can't comment on that one.

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Last edited 09.03.2022 | Top

#5 by Dave Baker , Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:12 pm

Philip I have the 4 X 400 ft. Blackhawk print and it is excellent . I have never seen the Walton version or any others , so I guess I am biased .

Tom Photiou likes this

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

#6 by Philip Murat , Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:34 pm

Thanks Dave for your answer.

May be some screen shots of "way ou west" from different printing source could give an idea.

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
ThankYou 44

National Cinema Day...September 3rd
Big Screen Revival 2022

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor