Just What IS It Worth?

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:01 pm

Did anyone else see a film called "Martin",made by George Romero,three 1600 reels,B and W , unreleased directors cut of 16mm vampire film sold at auction in the states for
$51,200.
The film estimate to be made was tween $2000 to $3000.
This film was made in 1976 and apparently this is the only known print of the unreleased black and white
"Directors Cut" version of said film,running approx 150 mins.
when I last looked $52,200 equals £42,726 - 40p.
Who said there is no money in this hobby,guess we all best be looking at what unreleased films we got hiding away.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

RE: Just What IS It Worth?

#2 by Mark Mander , Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:27 pm

Wow!!! Amazing price for what seems an amazing find, I'm guessing if it gets the digital treatment and released for sale then it's a good thing for those that love that genre of film, if it's one for the shelf then it's a huge sum to spend but hey if the buyer gets enjoyment then fair play, there's many things I'd like 'if I had the money' Mark

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#3 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:53 pm

Blimy, thats got to be dearest film sold on ebay ever. Not one i've ever heard of but it's certainly rare, almost non existent.
I see online, QUOTE, In the United States, the film received a DVD release by Anchor Bay Entertainment. The film was re-released on DVD on November 9, 2004 by Lionsgate here in the UK, it was released by Arrow Video in a two-disc DVD set on June 28, 2010 and In April 2021, Second Sight Films announced that a 4K restoration of the film was underway, with Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD releases expected later that year.
It does appear to be available to buy on DVD here, among other places,

I see the directors cut is 3.5 hours long, im assuming this is the 16mm copy that sold.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Martin-Region-B...750991540&psc=1

You can also see the common version for free on youtube here,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Tb8jp5...resRapeYourFace

Other site of interest on this subject
https://www.joblo.com/george-a-romero-ma...rs-cut-auction/

I hope the seller listed it during a listing offer

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.20.2022 | Top

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:35 pm

Tom this film was not sold on eBay it was auctioned by an auction house in the states.
The auction house is called Julians auctions,there is quite a bit about it on 16mm film collector.
There seems to be a lot of controversy over the length of film ,what exactly is the directors cut,but obviously this 16mm copy would appear to be the definitive version.If it isn’t then someone has parted with their money to no avail.
One hopes the buyer/buyers are happy.

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#5 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:48 pm

Gwyn, thanks for correcting me on the auction. What a find though, i think its always going to be something of a mystery.
I wonder what the plans are for it?

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:50 pm

Tom,I read in Slash films that a company Braddock Associates we’re going to digitise it how true I know not.
The original film was shot in 16mm and blown up to 35 for general release I wonder if there’s a directors cut languishing in some countries vault,the possibilities and rumour mungering with a film like this are endless.
I know it would make a new 600 super eight….crowd funding……..😁

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#7 by Don Cunningham , Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:07 pm

For fans of Romero and the movie iteself, this was a fantastic find (I have not seen the title myself). The finding of the print was mentioned a while back elsewhere, and I am sure it will be released with the film proper. I do know one of the rights holders is now asking obscene amounts of money to license films in the US.
I've come across a couple of almost "non-existent" pieces of celluloid; they would be non-existent but I do hold it in my archives, so that could be potentially it.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Tom Photiou

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#8 by Greg Perry , Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:56 am

Don,

Is it accurate to say, that buying the print and viewing it privately is one thing. But taking the print and using it to release this rare film on DVD/streaming/other is probably not allowed given that someone else actually owns the copyrights?
I am wondering if the print buyer thought he/she could make the cost back (and more) by releasing it...What do you think?

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#9 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:18 pm

It is surprising how many films have a copyright owner/owners who will want their share.
This is why the UK television channel "Talking Pictures TV" has to be careful what they acquire and buy. Some owners of rights demand too much for a showing.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Bell and Howell 16mm projectors
britain got talent ?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor