#1 by Mark Mander , Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:08 pm

Do any forum members use a Bell and Howell for their 16mm films? Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

RE: Bell and Howell 16mm projectors

#2 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:31 pm

I use to Mark, i had a B&H TQ3. It was a very nice machine and i was lucky not to have had to replace the worm gear which i understand to be a huge job. It was very reliable and ran very well. I've kept away from them as i think they are well over engineered compared to the Eiki's, if i bought one now it would have to have had a replacement worm gear. The one i had was an ex school machine so it had always been serviced.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Mark Mander , Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:08 pm

Thanks for the reply Tom, I had one a few years ago, a real beauty in excellent condition but it was extremely noisy, I just thought they were all like that but I have just taken delivery of a 2592 model 1986 approx and it looked like it had been sat around for a while, first thing was check the worm gear which is perfect, gave it a good clean and lube, ran a film and the thing runs lovely and is pretty quiet, I was pleasantly surprised, it came with a few lenses ,spare exciter lamp and bulb, it's a real joy to use,I'm very happy with it and a huge thanks goes to Jimmy Waters , Mark

Martin Dew likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

Last edited 07.01.2022 | Top

#4 by Clyde Miles , Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:15 am

hi mark, bell and howell had sorted the worm gear problem by 86, so yours is a good one. they decreased the size
of the aluminium core and increased the thickness size of the nylon worm.not by much but it worked.
i have fourteen 1695 and four 1568 bell and howells. all mostly saved from destruction. have replaced maybe
five worms on those that really needed doing. maybe the one you had years ago was noisy because worm
was a goner, normally hell and bowells are really quiet. very best regards.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Mark Mander sais Thank You!

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#5 by Mark Mander , Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:05 am

Thanks Clyde
Nice to know the worm gears did get modified and this new machine has many years of service left in it,so far I'm very impressed with it, Mark.

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#6 by Martin Dew , Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:01 am

Mark, I have a 1695 (green) and 1698 (black). I haven't owned other brands but I've found both BHs to be quiet, kind to my films, easy to clean, bright and image-stable. My 1698 sadly now has a terminal worm, but I'm going to get it repaired because the housing and interior are like new.

The following members like this: Clyde Miles and Greg Perry

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#7 by Mark Mander , Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:09 am

That was another thing I was going to mention, kind to film? I've always been told that they scratch when loading so a long leader is needed, no problem doing this, you've cleared that issue up Martin, thanks.

Getting a worm gear done finished many a machine, I do know that non animated gears are only available these days, I don't think I've ever freeze framed a 16mm film so I'm guessing others don't either so not really an issue, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#8 by David M. Leugers , Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:38 pm

I have a 2585 that I am running now. One of my keepers, it is a very well built machine that is the easiest to operate while delivering excellent rock-steady image and quality sound output. Other16mm projectors I use are B+H JAN, Kodak Pagaent, and Kalart Victor 75 series including arc lamp units. All fun.

The following members like this: Mark Mander, Tom Photiou and Martin Dew
David M. Leugers  
David M. Leugers
Date registered 10.04.2020
ThankYou 1

#9 by Martin Dew , Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:43 pm

Quote: Mark Mander wrote in post #7
That was another thing I was going to mention, kind to film? I've always been told that they scratch when loading so a long leader is needed, no problem doing this, you've cleared that issue up Martin, thanks.

Getting a worm gear done finished many a machine, I do know that non animated gears are only available these days, I don't think I've ever freeze framed a 16mm film so I'm guessing others don't either so not really an issue, Mark

Mark, I would still recommend a long enough leader to get through to your take-up spool. All bets are off during auto-thread as there is a lot of film contact.

My understanding is that animated gears were used as an educational tool to freeze frames in classrooms, so not much need to use them now.

Mark Mander likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

Film sources
Just What IS It Worth?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor