The Godfather is 50 / The Warriors, censored NOT for violence

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:31 pm

I recorded a short TV programme I saw advertised. It was a half hour BBC film review special about the 50th anniversary of the classic movie The Godfather. I guess I should have known better, had I have thought that this is a BBC made thing, it may go off the rails and get in something about upsetting a certain group of people!!!! How right I was, it was all going very well indeed including an extensive casual interview with 91 year Robert Duvall. Then, two thirds in, step in the BBC minority’s pointless inclusion policy with some woman from a group I’ve never heard of making the statement that the film is seen as misogynistic by many. Where does this utter crap come from? This went on until near the end of the programme, she was harping on about how the few women in the film are beaten or just treated as “there for the men”. Honestly, only todays media would cover a classic in this way, clearly she forgot to understand that the film is set in the 1940s and it was the men of the families who ran the “business”. Why do we have to keep on listening to these clowns who want to keep revaluating classic films in this way? Did anyone else catch this BBC trash?

This then bought me onto a film I recorded late one evening. A film most of us know quite well, the 1979 gang movie, The Warriors. I have the 3 x 400ft version as well as the DVD, the 18 theatrical version and the directors cut with those comic inserts which i thought were a bad idea. I recorded it out of curiosity. Many of you will recall the controversy this film caused with fights breaking out in cinemas etc, mainly in the states, (where else?). Compared to films and even TV programmes put out today, it seems very mild now so fortunately, there were no cuts made to any of the violence. Here’s the ridiculous part, channel 5 decided to make two edits. Can you guess where?
The first cut is between the titles at the start, there are short snips of the gangs making their way to the big meeting, as well as the warriors talking to one another, James Remar’s character, Ajax, states, maybe we’ll get to meet some strange wolf along the way”, the reply is “you got a one track mind”, Ajax then comes back with, “what’s the matter? You going Faggot?” This last line was edited out, and the movie was shown at 11.30pm. A similar line was also cut out when Ajax decides he isn’t going with the rest of the gang in the park, instead he goes back to the undercover cop sat on the park bench. Just before he does, he tells Swan, “maybe all of you are just going faggot”. Both of the lines made the audience laugh as i suspect was the intention. Absolutely non malicious.
Is this kind of censorship the new way forward now then? Violence and graphic gore seems all accepted now but using a few certain everyday terms are forbidden, and despite what many people think, (especially the snowflake brigade and all their new minority movements) they are every day terms, it’s called the real world. The funny thing is, you only have to turn to YouTube to see it completely uncensored anyway. I wouldn’t mind knowing who makes these decisions and what we ,the public, are allowed to watch and hear, this is a film thats been around 43 years.
Our government has now given TV company’s the go ahead to be allowed to double the amount of adverts they put up. That will be TV finished for me. We’ll end up with the crap TV the states seem happy to endure, you’ll get a movie start up, then after the titles go up, you will get five minutes of BS. And they call all of this, progress!!
Rant over.

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: The Godfather is 50 / The Warriors, censored NOT for violence

#2 by Mark Mander , Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:54 pm

Unfortunately Tom this is how it's heading now, personally I think the films should be shown in all its intirity and put a warning up that some might not find it suitable, I personally don't want to see films changed just for today's people, let those films be made no problem but don't interfere with old movies, if it's a problem then simply don't watch them,Mark

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:09 pm

Well this really is a can of worms,must not upset anyone these days lets all go woke change everything that might offend anyone.
As for the BBC don't go there ,lost my patience with them long time ago it's now as if you are being dictated to and to think I have to pay for it!!!!!!
Films should be left as the director intended on release especially if shown late at night after the watershed.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:36 pm

Mark/Gwyn, thats exactly it, they put out warnings so you have been warned. These are movies, its all make up and actors, yet at 6pm when everyone's having there tea including the kids, they'll show you real footage of war in Ukraine and all the graphic images of the day. I cant even think of the relevance for the BBC to include this woman who leads some group to point out how "they" believe that a lot of women will consider the Godfather as being misogynistic, WTF has any of that got to do with this great movie? What could have been a very good half hour documentary turned out to be the usual BBC woke crap and overshadowed the rest of the programme.
As for the Warriors, this was shown at 11.30pm, who's going to upset? Anyway, i always thought a faggot was a very nice meaty ball you get in the fish and chip shop!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/CasualUK/commen...nd_ive_finally/

The problem we have today is that the snowflake and woke brigade have hijacked the English language as well as the film industry, gay meaning happy, faggot meaning the food, the rainbow flag has ALWAYS been the flag of the NHS, now thats all been hijacked, BUT, to remove this word in amongst the violence of the Warriors is just the funniest, most annoying and stupidest thing ever. Crack them heads with bats, mash the Warriors gang leaders face in at the start, BUT WHATEVER YOU DO please cut out the word faggot!!!

Surely anyone with an ounce of common sense must see how ridiculous this country has become.

Looks like the only place we will be able to view films as intended is on the shinny discs and our cine films. Forget the telly.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.10.2022 | Top

#5 by Paul Browning , Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:26 pm

The beeb, they are definitely at the for front of this brain washing exorcise, and bias, quite frankly i'm upset by there wokeism and snowflake bias towards anyone being able to make up there own mind about what to watch. The story i read was of an obviously elderly guy trying to give blood, and being asked if he was "pregnant" and they then refusing to let him give blood because he wouldn't answer yes or no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. This is driven by government pen pushers and jobsworth trying to justify there jobs, the lunatics have certainly taken over the asylum, they can't help but interfere with everything, it utter madness...................

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Tom Photiou
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:40 pm

Tom for prime minister 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Totally agree with you Tom, I remember having faggot and peas at school, I think they have improved somewhat since then!!
It’s censorship via the back door and can’t see it getting any better soon.
Anyway we are in good hands,a female Bond,a transgender superhero,all political correct Tom and Jerry to name one.
You really should not have started this thread Tom I think you may have woken a beast,well a politically correct one 😆😆it’s obviously close to film collectors hearts the way films have been altered to satisfy the few .
Oh yes it’s hot outside so don’t forget to stay indoors,close windows ,draw curtains,don’t drink alcohol and yes watch TV.😂😂😂😂😂

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Paul Browning

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:27 pm

Paul, i saw that as well, i cant wait for some twat to ask me if im pregnant for a form filling exercise, i know what'll i 'll tell them, idiots.
The thing is, you now have the TV, media and other clowns more or less brain washing people and the majority are literally sitting back and letting it happen instead of standing up for what is their right to an opinion. Yes they have a right, but in this example of the Warriors, the film was trimmed, not for sex or graphic violence, but because of one word, faggot, used twice! If people are that sensitive, stay at home and keep the tv off, in fact go to the movies, they make them for todays jokers, all nice and PC now.
God help Quintin Tarrantino for his next movie, whenever that may be.
Mind you, if you were blindfolded and popped into a living room and had the tv switched on during the ads, you'd probably think your in Namibia, its all a huge joke and the movies are going the same way.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.10.2022 | Top

#8 by Greg Perry , Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:24 am

Tom,

I am totally against the editing of films made in the past to fit to today's viewpoints.

I understand the use of the term 'faggot' is hurtful to people and I don't condone its use. But these scenes and language choices--like 'faggot'--were included by the writer of the screenplay, and/or the director for a reason. One can argue that perhaps they should not have been used at all even back then, but they were used. We may not always like what we see or hear in a film, but it is the film as it was intended to be seen. The "after the fact" editing that is occurring now is concerning to me. Rewriting history or a film, to meet current standards that may not have existed at the time of filming just troubles me, and I think there can be unintended consequences when this approach is taken. Sometimes we do not want to erase the past, even the ugly parts. I am fine with warnings to indicate that offensive content is to be found in a film from the past, but don't edit it out.

One of the reasons I bought the Super 8 print of Gone With the Wind (made in 1939) is because I honestly believe at some point we will no longer be able to watch the film in it's original form--given the direction this 'retroactive editing' seems to be going. I hope I am wrong though and that people can accept films as they were originally created without feeling this need to 'sanitize' things......

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#9 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:14 am

I think what gripes me is how everything's being changed to cater for the clowns, most of the PC wont watch films like this anyway so whats the point? Now the bigger problem is, the majority will no longer be catered for, instead we have to endure the utter BS thats being put out now, the latest Bond film proved that. Anyway, that was just me picking up some crap from the telly while i have this covid crap, i was expecting a few small snips from the warriors but not those two cuts, the bigger disappointment, or should i say joke? was the BBC, (to be expected) adding the nonsense section to the 50th anniversary programme about the Godfather. It is to be expected, we can only hope that sometime in the future people will have had enough.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#10 by Greg Perry , Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:35 pm

Tom,

I hadn't heard you got hit with the Covid. I hope you are doing ok and on the road back to normalcy.

Yes, it is very strange to "celebrate" the 50th anniversary of an epic film by picking it apart in the way the BBC did. I would have been disgusted seeing the BBC cater like that as well.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#11 by Mark Mander , Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:28 pm

History is history at the end of the day and films are films, we can't change history and why change films to suit current climates,

The latest Bond Tom, I agree, what a load of rubbish, so PC, I think if the series continues like that one I wouldn't go and see them, is it the shape of things to come? Mark

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#12 by Paul Browning , Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:29 pm

I believe the word was used in a clint eastwood movie too, "Coogans bluff", I've seen this many times on the free view channels, and it has never been removed, even though it was used as an insult to him, so i guess its the beeb again playing nanny state, we know best, all you morons.......

Tom Photiou likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Last edited 07.11.2022 | Top

#13 by Dave Baker , Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:08 pm

Yes , I am splicing together ( on 1600 foot Elmo reels from Steve o. ) A compilation of " Films we may never see again " . You know like , BLAZING SADDLES , KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE , THE KLANSMEN, THE WARRIORS , etc. ( digests ). I figure it will be a homage to documentaries....

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

#14 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:14 pm

Good idea Dave, Kentucky fried movie, there one, that "Danger seeker" sketch is so basic, yet works so well.
Now you've mentioned Blazzing saddles, there's another odd decision by the BBC, it was only a few months ago they showed that uncut on BBC4, its almost like it depends on who's working the day these go out. As Mark said, why change a movie to suit, just put out a warning at the start. forewarned is forearmed

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

britain got talent ?
Sinbad auction

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor